Sponsored by:

Door speaker grille removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 03:27 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Door speaker grille removal

In the process of detailing my car before delivery, the dealership used too much vinyl cleaner and the over-spray is "stuck" in the holes of the front speaker grille cover. To properly clean the cover, it's going to need to be washed.

I found the DIY to remove the entire door panel, but can the front speaker grille be removed by itself?
Old 08-26-2013, 03:11 AM
tcesar888
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar and related task. I ended up removing the door panels. Actually they are not that difficult to remove.

Note: Many of the plastic covers/sections etc (on the door panel) are secured via plastic nubs/posts that are melted into position. Once you remove section (by heating the back posts with a soldering iron), these sections are not easily put back on; or reused. Fortunately I had purchased new replacement sections for my project. Strange, as I thought they would be screwed, clipped, or riveted into place. Nope! Thought i could reuse or sell the old pieces, but probably not.

I'm not 100% certain the speaker covers/sections are done this way, but I think so... I wouldn't pry too hard.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

.t
Old 08-26-2013, 03:21 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Toothbrush with cleaner soap ? or a toothbrush with more vinyl cleaner to even up the job?
Old 08-26-2013, 04:42 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tcesar888
I had a similar and related task. I ended up removing the door panels. Actually they are not that difficult to remove.

Note: Many of the plastic covers/sections etc (on the door panel) are secured via plastic nubs/posts that are melted into position. Once you remove section (by heating the back posts with a soldering iron), these sections are not easily put back on; or reused. Fortunately I had purchased new replacement sections for my project. Strange, as I thought they would be screwed, clipped, or riveted into place. Nope! Thought i could reuse or sell the old pieces, but probably not.

I'm not 100% certain the speaker covers/sections are done this way, but I think so... I wouldn't pry too hard.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

.t
Yup, the door speaker grills are plastic welded to the panel. Not an easy DIY, as you need to be really careful to when removing the grills to be sure to leave enough of the plastic stem to melt back on. And I was told you can't buy new speaker grill replacements from Porsche without ordering the entire door panel.

Also you need to be really careful when cleaning too, as the speaker grills are coated with Porsche's rubberized paint, which when old scratches and peels very easily.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks all. I will tackle this with a toothbrush and take it easy on the plastic.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Wise choice. Maybe get some vinyl cleaner, spray it on some plastic and use some gentle products to see which one dissolves and removes the cleaner, then tackle the car.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:04 PM
aaronelopas
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a cracked speaker cover (the large one). no one would sell me just the cover so had to buy full panel - however used panel i bought has only the large speaker not the small so I need to swap the cover from new used panel to old one and just saw the "melted / plastic rivet" affixing method - did anyone on this thread successfully swap over a speaker cover? - I am thinking I could drill it out carfully like a rivet and then re-affix new with a wide head screw but not sure...

Quick Reply: Door speaker grille removal