Sponsored by:

Tires. Approaching 5 years of age - Replace all 4 or Rears only

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 02:29 AM
vrnkc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check reviews of Bridgestone REO50.
They should be fine. I am pleased with my set of 4. Cost is reasonable.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:31 AM
Geros
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Replace all 4 tires with new ones, N spec only !
Old 08-31-2013, 06:59 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts

Lots of advice....blah...blah..
A lot depends on how you use the car, and, when you replace only rears or fronts....does it really matter if they are the same brand? The "patch" is different, the loads and suspensions are different....lots of "opinions"......lots of **** ****.... (IMHO)
Old 09-14-2013, 06:24 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Happy ending.

Spoke with my independent to get his thoughts. After taking several questions from him regarding type of driving etc, he said "Michilen Super Sports" without me prompting him. He ordered them on 6 Sep from Tire Rack, they arrived his shop of 12 Sep, installed 13 Sep with new TPMS, Valves and had the 4 wheel alignment done.

Regarding Tirerack. He like many independents and Porsche dealers have a business relationship with Tirerack. He makes about $15-20 of each tire from them even though I am still paying him what Tirerack would have charged me. $20 is not much coin but it's better than nothing and he makes money on the backend with the install, TPMS and the alignment.

Differences?
- ALL of the tire noise is gone. I suspect the right rear cupping was creating much of the sound along with 4 year old Bridgestones. The road noise coming from the tires had been getting loader of these past 10 months of ownership so maybe the cupping tire was headed for a failure. Who knows.
- Put 100 miles on them today. No issues.

I won't compare 4 new Michelin SS against 4 year old Bridgestones. This is only my second set of tires to ride on this Porsche. The Bridgestones never let me down and I had my first and second emergency driving situations occur on the same day within one hour of each other and the Bridgestones performed perfectly for me.

Last edited by CAVU; 09-14-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Tires. Approaching 5 years of age - Replace all 4 or Rears only