Question about Over Rev Report

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 08:05 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question about Over Rev Report

Greetings.

Took my car in for service this week and I had them provide a DME readout. Results were a single ignition in all 6 ranges, all with the same time stamp. I understand that this is not physically possible, and that this is a common error.

Q: Have people been successful in getting the dealer to clear this from the DME? I'm not concerned about it, but I don't want it to be an issue when I sell.

BTW, car is an 08 Cayman, but I aspire to be a 997 owner.

Kit
Old 08-23-2013, 08:23 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I have those as well... nothing to worry about. It came CPO'd from the p-dealer that way and I have the time stamped dealer DME JIC. But when it comes time to sell... I would not sell my car to someone who makes an issue of 1's in a DME report.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 08-24-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:47 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If it is a reading in all six ranges at the same time then that is a serious event. It means your car hit at least 9500 (range 6) rpms and the dealer will not clear them.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:22 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
If it is a reading in all six ranges at the same time then that is a serious event. It means your car hit at least 9500 (range 6) rpms and the dealer will not clear them.
He said a reading of 1 in all 6 ranges.
3 ignitions per revolution so 1 ignition throughout all 6 ranges is impossible - can't have 1 in range 1 and 1 in range 6.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:17 AM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm lost
Old 08-24-2013, 01:13 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 532 Posts

Then you are eligible for a position on capitol hill.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:19 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 367 Likes on 197 Posts

You're fine. It's mechanically impossible to get one ignition spread ver the rpm range. Ts just a computer glitch.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:49 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Then you are eligible for a position on capitol hill.
or BHP
Old 08-24-2013, 06:37 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Thought this was one event that hit all six ranges - my mistake. Never heard of this glitch before.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by kcheves
Greetings.

Took my car in for service this week and I had them provide a DME readout. Results were a single ignition in all 6 ranges, all with the same time stamp. I understand that this is not physically possible, and that this is a common error.

Q: Have people been successful in getting the dealer to clear this from the DME? I'm not concerned about it, but I don't want it to be an issue when I sell.

BTW, car is an 08 Cayman, but I aspire to be a 997 owner.

Kit
Porsche does not publicize how it really uses these registers.

But my WAG is what you have is over rev counters that are in the cleared state.

For time and space reasons I will be brief, but "zero" is not a suitable "zero" value for these counters.

My advice is to be sure you have an official printout of the DME report along with total engine runtime, the over rev counters and their "timestamps" (what is the timestamp for the counts?) and save this in a file of the car.

It is unlikely you will not hit at least the range 1 over rev limit so the next time the overrev counters are read the count value and timestamp in that counter will be different.

Furthermore, it would not surprise me that even some or all of the other counter values and their timestamps change too.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:02 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is the screenshot from the PIWIS tester. One thing it doesn't show is total hours.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Cayman DME Read Out .pdf (428.2 KB, 222 views)
Old 08-24-2013, 09:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

You should get a full printout that shows total hours. This is helpful for it lets you calculate average speed. A real low speed average can be a sign of odometer tamper.

I'm not an over rev counter expert but the numbers seem implausible to me. This has been discussed and theorized a bit with no real explanation for these seemingly implausible readings. My theory is they are some kind of tamper proofing, some encoding that lets Porsche know the numbers are real or have been, well, tampered with.

These counters represent consider financial exposure to Porsche. If there is a way to tamper with them they will be tampered with. Someone over revs the engine and blows it up and then tampers with the numbers and viola Porsche is on the hook for a new engine.

So just exactly what the numbers mean in this again seemingly implausible case is impossible to say.

When (if) the engine experiences actual over rev conditions either just bumping up against the rev limiter or beyond not only will the counters which are used to record the over rev events change but possibly the ones for which there are no over revs.

But unless one has easy access to a PIWIS2 (and something that can capture the communication between the PIWIS2 and the vehicle and its population of controllers, primarily the DME) and wants to experiment with reading, re-reading these counters and analyzing the captured bus traffic it is all speculation.

BTW, did you ask the dealer/service department for any input as to what the numbers mean?

Perhaps if you took on the attitude of concern about these numbers you might get something back from the factory that sheds some light on these numbers. Maybe. Frankly I suspect it is a long shot. A real long shot.

If they represent some form of encoding/tamper protection whoever at the factory that handles the dealer's enquiry will not know this or if he does will not share it with the dealer.

Likely if you can even get the service department to make a query on your behalf you'll get a "there is no problem" response with no further comment/explanation.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

it's impossible. ghosts in the machine. any knowledgeable buyer (savvy enough to ask for a DME in the first place) will know same. drive and/or sell with confidence.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:18 AM
rj5620
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newbie here, can a PDK be over reved in auto mode?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rj5620
Newbie here, can a PDK be over reved in auto mode?
rare but possible. there are threads on here with evidence and i have seen it first hand with my durametric (on a buddy's '10 turbo).

Quick Reply: Question about Over Rev Report