Sponsored by:

Good Vendor Experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts
Default Good Vendor Experience

Some may remember that a few months ago I posted a question about where to get 3M clear bra material or kits for a self-install.

I wound up getting a kit for my '09 from Invisible Mask (invisiblemask.com). Got a front bumper kit and a hood kit. I received the kits and applied them (mostly--I'll get to that in a minute) with no issues. They came with a couple spray bottles, a couple microfiber towels, a small squeegee and an installation DVD.

Initially, I was apprehensive about my purchase. It took over a week for them to ship. I actually IM'd customer service after several days and they shipped the day after I called. After that, everything was great.

I IM'd them a question about wax compatibility and they responded immediately.

When I applied the kit, everything fit well. When I got to the front bumper piece, however, I totally F'ed it up before I even got it on the car. This is a seven foot-long monster with lots of cut-outs and loose flappy pieces and it's a bear to apply. Somehow, one of the flaps dragged on the floor and picked up a bunch of dirt. While I was mulling that over, the left side got bunched up and at that point, I let my temper take over and I balled it up and threw it across the room.

That Monday, I called their customer service and talked to Julie. I was ready to re-order the whole bumper kit ($185!) when she told me that they have a do-over policy where if you screw up, you can order just the pieces you need for the cost of materials and shipping. I was ecstatic. I wound up getting the bumper and driver's side mirror (the first piece I applied--and wasn't happy with my workmanship) for a hundred bucks. That's a much easier pill to swallow.

I went ahead and ordered the kit for my wife's E550 cab and Julie was helpful again walking me through the order as there was some confusion about which kit I needed.

If you're going to do this job on your own, I wholeheartedly recommend the company.

The only thing I would do differently is that I would order the full hood kit, not the half-hood. You cannot see the dividing line unless you look closely but I balked at the whole-hood piece as I thought it would be too difficult to apply. In reality, the lack of topography on the hood made this the easiest piece to apply.

I will post pics when I am through with the job. My re-do pieces shipped today. I hope to have this wrapped up by the end of the weekend.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:00 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Waiting for pics. Good luck with rest of job.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:33 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Looking forward to the DIY. GL with the rest of the install.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:36 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 570 Likes on 339 Posts

thanks for the awesome info. cant wait to see the final work!
Old 08-22-2013, 01:32 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Waiting to see as well.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Replacement pieces shipped yesterday--hopefully I will wrap this up over the weekend. Will take pics then.

Quick Reply: Good Vendor Experience