Sponsored by:

Clicking noise in suspension when rocking s wheel back and forth

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 07:03 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Clicking noise in suspension when rocking s wheel back and forth

I was parked in my garage recently and i accidentally rocked the steering wheel and i heard a loud click coming from under the car. The clocking noise is repeatable! I brought it to the dealer and after trying 2 other cars they all had the same noise. Is this normal? You can hear the sound when the car is parked and the wheels turned a few degrees. Turn off engine and rock the steering wheel back and forth. You will hear the clicking sound coming from the steerign system. Just checking all the possible problems cause warranty is about to expire and want all stuff replaced before they conk out on me.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:52 PM
namdoogwerdna
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably has something to do with power steering assist not being on. Likely not a defect but I wouldn't push it.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:48 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

i would think that whether hydraulic system is operating or not there should not be any noise. noise means there is play somewhere and there is going to be wear. i dont have it with my other cars...so why should a Porsche, noted for its steering, have it.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

"clicking"...like, metal and parts that are under strain/twisting? or do you mean like metal rubbing or hitting other metal? i had a loose bolt once - passenger side, holding the steering rack to frame - and everytime i would switch directions turning, i would hear a little clunk. it was the rack lifting up, etc, since it wasnt bolted down properly.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:14 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Could be bad CV joint in the steering column, worn out tie rod end etc. But if you're hearing it in every car on the lot, that sounds more like bushings or something creaking-- or even tires creaking? I assume you have the key in the ignition? it's not the ignition lock it it?

The real test is key in the ignition, engine off, stand outside window, turn steering wheel ever so slightly and verify that the wheel/tire moves with even the smallest movement.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:35 PM
G356
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An acquaintance of mine had a similar issue when the car was rocked backwards when parked with engine off. Dealer said it was normal. He went and rocked the other parked vehicles on the lot and no noise. Took the dealer days to diagnose but it eventually got repaired under warranty. I don't recall what the issue was.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise in suspension when rocking s wheel back and forth