Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DAMMITT !!! pot hole = trashed wheels AND tires.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 06:02 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,782 Likes on 1,761 Posts
Default DAMMITT !!! pot hole = trashed wheels AND tires.

Ran over a pot hole this morning - two flat passenger tires AND bent wheels.

Had it towed to the $tealer$hip for inspection. I'm sure the front is trashed and pretty sure the rear is also. Maybe the tires are ok, but I don't see how, but I didn't see any blatant cuts . . .

Time for wheel upgrade or maybe buy some used lobster forks.

Anybody got some wheels to sell?

DAMMITT !!!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

You might try notifying the town where it happened and stop to take some pictures. I've heard some locals will cover the cost of repairs if the pothole is large and considered unsafe. Use the approach that you nearly lost control and the road is unsafe to travel on.

Good luck.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:32 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Where did it happen in BHM? The roads in Jeffer son Co are turning to shat!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:38 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

I know people that had their wheels payed by the city where the pot holes existed. Take enough pictures and document everything. GL!
Old 08-12-2013, 10:07 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
You might try notifying the town where it happened and stop to take some pictures. I've heard some locals will cover the cost of repairs if the pothole is large and considered unsafe. Use the approach that you nearly lost control and the road is unsafe to travel on.
Good luck.
+1
Old 08-12-2013, 10:21 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Good luck.
I tried making claim against the Tappan Zee bridge for a huge pothole that took out two wheels and tires about 6 years ago. The NY State Thruway Authority wouldn't take any responsibility for their lack of maintenance. Good luck...
Old 08-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Dukec4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain. Had an '86 cab many years ago...hit a big azz pothole on the way home from a great Sat. nite out....2 flats and bent the hell out of my BBS's....
Old 08-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Mudcat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The damage would be covered by your collision coverage if you want to make a claim. Of course your deductible would apply and depending on your state and carrier, it might be a chargeable accident. Weigh the pros and cons carefully and proceed with caution.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:16 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
Ran over a pot hole this morning - two flat passenger tires AND bent wheels.

Had it towed to the $tealer$hip for inspection. I'm sure the front is trashed and pretty sure the rear is also. Maybe the tires are ok, but I don't see how, but I didn't see any blatant cuts . . .

Time for wheel upgrade or maybe buy some used lobster forks.

Anybody got some wheels to sell?

DAMMITT !!!
If the tires are flat they are not ok. If the tires on the other side are worn more than 30% they'll have to be replaced too.

Also, you might as well budget for an alignment.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:54 AM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Mudcat
The damage would be covered by your collision coverage if you want to make a claim. Of course your deductible would apply and depending on your state and carrier, it might be a chargeable accident. Weigh the pros and cons carefully and proceed with caution.
I don't think this would be a claim under collision. More than likely comprehensive and usually claims under comprehensive don't affect one's rates as an at fault collision could.

I do like the previously suggested idea to try and make the claim at the municipality level and if that doesn't work, then the insurance route is probably worth the try. After the insurance company takes care of business with the insured, they'll in turn contact the municipality and make a demand for damages,which would include the deductible. So there is a chance that the deductible would be reimbursed later.

Good luck!

Last edited by CAVU; 08-13-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:58 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,782 Likes on 1,761 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
If the tires are flat they are not ok. If the tires on the other side are worn more than 30% they'll have to be replaced too.

Also, you might as well budget for an alignment.
The rears were almost new - I'll have to check the fronts, but they are probably > 30% . Definitely a total alignment. Uhhhhhggggggg!!!
Old 08-13-2013, 01:22 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea I would look around for some wheel and tires for sale here, and will probably cost less than replacing two wheels and two tires. Seen some lobsters here recently.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:38 PM
McCrazy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your tires are probably trash too. If the rims are damaged then the sidewalls probably collapsed and are compromised. Easy to detect sign is the sidewall bulging out when inflated. Harder to detect is damage not quite severe enough to bulge but sidewall strength is still compromised and you won't tell until your tire fails or you take the tire off the rim (it won't hold form properly).

My wife recently nailed a bad pothole headed north out of Nashville. Bulged a sidewall and cracked the finish on two rims. She figured no big deal as she had the tire protection plan on her BMW. Lo and behold the tires were below the wear level that the protection plan was willing to replace them at, and the rims were not bent and damaged ENOUGH for them to warrant replacement.

I told my wife to document it and take it to the city as well as to BMW and their tire protection company until someone covered the loss. She didn't follow through and I have enough stuff to take care of on my own that I can't sit around and fight her battles for her.

Good luck to you in your situation.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:11 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear about the impact. Please give me a call if I can help on the replacement tires.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Good luck.
Agreed. There certainly is civil liability by the city if the condition was known and ignored.

But if you hate the dealership so much, why have the car towed there? Why not home and the work the wheel issue separately, or to your preferred shop? Its certainly no warranty issue.

Quick Reply: DAMMITT !!! pot hole = trashed wheels AND tires.