'05 997 desirability and value

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Gregory Morrison
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 997 desirability and value

Hello everyone:

I rarely post to Rennlist, but I "lurk" a lot and have picked up some great information and tips over the years for my 996.

I have a 2005 silver 997 with black leather interior that I need to sell. It has 83k miles and is in excellent condition. The engine is a 3.6 "stock" rebuild by Jake Raby/FSI (engine was completely disassembled) with less than 1,000 miles on it. The bumper was just painted by a specialty shop, and related plastic parts, too. It has 19" Carrera Classic wheels with only 10k miles on them and they look new, and the tires are virtually new 3-season Continental tires.

I would appreciate any feedback on the desirability and value of such a car would be. I hate to let it go, but circumstances are such that I have to. I just bought the car in April, but I've decided to hold onto my Mk1 GT3-ish 996 in which I've invested lots of time and resources.

Thanks for any thoughts you care to offer.

Greg

Name:  DSCN2272.JPG
Views: 286
Size:  755.3 KB
Old 08-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

To be perfectly frank, there is little interest in the 2005 straight 997 cars. It was the first year of the 997 production (less favorable), and the S model is always favored over the non-S models. If it was a fairly stock car with little going for it, the loaded cars will always be favored over the stripped cars.

The mileage doesn't help you much either. While I am a proponent of the "drive the car" philosophy. when you have little to offer in a car the mileage will immediately go against you. Now, if you had a special car, with a unique color, PCCBs, and Adaptive Sport Seats, etc. then you could offset the hit you take for the miles.

I'm not trying to be too negative, but it's best to know what you are up against. Your particular car, a silver 2005 997, with probably a black interior in maybe partial leather, is about as plain jane and you find in a 997, and therefore quite common. Buyers who are seeking the least expensive 997 will flock to you. Those who want a bit more will turn elsewhere.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
To be perfectly frank, there is little interest in the 2005 straight 997 cars. It was the first year of the 997 production (less favorable), and the S model is always favored over the non-S models. If it was a fairly stock car with little going for it, the loaded cars will always be favored over the stripped cars.

The mileage doesn't help you much either. While I am a proponent of the "drive the car" philosophy. when you have little to offer in a car the mileage will immediately go against you. Now, if you had a special car, with a unique color, PCCBs, and Adaptive Sport Seats, etc. then you could offset the hit you take for the miles.

I'm not trying to be too negative, but it's best to know what you are up against. Your particular car, a silver 2005 997, with probably a black interior in maybe partial leather, is about as plain jane and you find in a 997, and therefore quite common. Buyers who are seeking the least expensive 997 will flock to you. Those who want a bit more will turn elsewhere.
+1, and it seems like most people who are in the market avoid 05 due to the dreaded IMS issue. That doesn't help your cause. I hope it isn't a tiptronic b/c that is a double whammy.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 461 Likes on 293 Posts

Your car could be of interest to someone who knows something about Porsches and will know the quality of a Jake Raby motor and virtually no IMS to be concerned about. The overall milage relative to other chasiss items, however may keep the price down. Remember Porsches are raw race car "bred" -personally i don't like the lines of convertibles nor would I spend a disproportionate amount of $ on overpriced options or colors that are loud and really add nothing to what a Porsche is rally about. For example, to me PSE is really just for "show" - I like the understated demurr purr of my plain stock exhaust on a nice night driving with the windows and sunroof open. Anyway I'd say $28-$33K and someone can get 95% of the feel that a car costing $10-15K more would be and probably 50k more for the latest model "S" with 'leather dash vents'-really?? Point is-don't be discouraged by others who think the value of a Porsche lies in the "stitching around the dash" or Sport Chrono in a MT.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Gregory Morrison
AutoX

It has a manual transmission and a triple row LN ceramic IMS bearing was part of the engine rebuild.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 461 Likes on 293 Posts

Why was the engine rebuilt? What is the build date of the car?
Old 08-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Gregory Morrison
AutoX

The previous owner believed that the IMS was failing. It wasn't, but something was wrong with a valve spring or lifter and making noise. After disassembling the entire motor, Jake found no issues besides the valve-related one--no collateral damage at all--and completely rebuilt it. I already have a M96 Performer Engine from him in my '00 996. Thought I'd give a 997 a try, too, but my timing turned out badly. Love it, but personal circumstances are going to prevent me from keeping it. Shame, too, given the extensive rebuild by FSI which typically has a 6-8 month wait list. Right now I think they are booked until next May.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Gregory Morrison
AutoX

Build date was December '04.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

With just 1K miles on the engine that would have be a plus. Essentially the "new" engine cancels the 83K miles...

Any warranty on the engine from the going over? If so and if transferable to the new owner stress that in the ad.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:31 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01

I disagree about the highly optioned car. When searching for my 993 I went out of my way to find the most stripped, bare bones car I could find (and found one). Cost was not the reason. A friend of mine, a fellow 911 owner feels the exact same way, not everyone wants all the bells and whistles.

A 2005 997 with the already IMS taken care of (by Jake Raby, no less) would certainly be more desirable to me than a like 997 without.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:43 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I recently sold a fairly highly optioned 2005 997S Launch Car w/ just 28K miles in May in the $47K range. I would suspect your 2005 997 base w/ 83K miles would go for at least $10K or more less.

GL . . . .
Old 08-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Gregory Morrison
AutoX

Thanks to everyone who has posted, and so quickly. This is very helpful to me, and I hope the posts keep coming.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

To be pro-active about the bearing issue was a plus for your column.

The buyers of today's "911" are a totally different breed from yesteryear. The 997 is no 911. Those who suggest that a stripped 997 is like getting a purer Porsche '911' with less of the unimportant things is missing the point. A real 911 is generally air-cooled, has either 2.4 or 2.7 liters of displacement, and requires significant rowing of the stick shift to get the most performance out of it.

Having been there back in the 1970s, I'm happy to have the leather and the nicer things in today's 911.

You will find that many are put off by the latest offering--the 991 version of the Carrera, and so the value of used 997s is even better than ever than ever!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:51 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

For many modern day 911 purchasers, the air cooled models are either out of reach, price-wise or they do not want to undertake a nationwide search for the air cooled model suited to their specs. That leaves the water cooled models and there are some who still want the bare essentials without all the fluff. A GT3 might be closer to what they are looking for but perhaps too expensive or too bare in the other direction.

I'll take a bare bones 997 please when (if) I replace my 993.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:44 PM
porka
Banned

i have 2005 c2s but mine had quite a few nice options

PSE
Sport Seats
Sports Chrono
Rear Wiper
Bose
Manual
Basalt black on black

I actually would not have bought the car if it did not have the sport seats.. for me its just a necessity!

the 997 chassis is far superior to the 996, i am sure there will be someone out there who will want this car regardless of options or mileage if its priced sensibly

Mike

Last edited by porka; 08-08-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Quick Reply: '05 997 desirability and value