Sponsored by:

997.2 PDK Multi Steering Wheel with TECHART Paddles into 997.1 Tiptronic Multi

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 12:38 PM
JSebastian
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great!!

Im looking at fitting a 997.2 Wheel to my 2006 997.1 TipTronic.

It has multifunction buttons now, but I can forego those.

Will I need the "Control Module switch" for the TipTronic buttons to Work?

Does this part have a Porsche Part No.?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:36 PM
Ni_Mo
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Guys this is a real easy and inexpensive mod - for what you get.
Mine is a early 997.1 tiptronic multi-function. I installed the PDK multi-function wheel & everything works as it should.
I can install the paddle wheel at any time, but I personally like the multi-function wheel.
The part that is needed to make this work is........ the steering control module, without this you cannot do any coding! But the story does not end there. The steering control unit has to be IIRC from a 2009-2010 997 and has to be used, why I hear you ask, well the brand new OEM steering control modules have newer firmware in them which does not let you re-code to older cars-Porsche cottoned on! So it does make these modules a bit rare, the unit is made by a company based out of Ireland and also used on VAG cars.

I can provide part numbers when I back home in a week or so.

My total cost was:
Wheel + airbag - ebay - $700
Steering control unit & recode - $350
Total - $1050

A bargain if you ask me! Pic here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...y-dsc04053.jpg
Old 04-25-2015, 03:05 PM
JSebastian
4th Gear

Are you sure about the age of the control unit, I have not read this anywhere else. And it cant be new? So all the people who has done this has used, used units

Im about the pull the trigger on a steering Wheel auction that ends in 15 min....sure hopes I'll get it to work

BTW: This is the part that everybody uses as far as I have found: 997-613-289-01

Last edited by JSebastian; 04-25-2015 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Missing part no
Old 04-25-2015, 03:18 PM
Ni_Mo
Racer

Originally Posted by JSebastian
Are you sure about the age of the control unit, I have not read this anywhere else. And it cant be new? So all the people who has done this has used, used units

Im about the pull the trigger on a steering Wheel auction that ends in 15 min....sure hopes I'll get it to work
The guy who installed mine sourced the control unit & he was one of the first guys to do this to a 997.1 Turbo. He told me about needing the used unit, if it's inexpensive try it. I had spent lots at Porsche with them trying to figure it out & they couldn't, the only thing they suggested was that I started buying control units & lets do a trail and error run - at my cost - no thanks!
Old 04-25-2015, 03:25 PM
JSebastian
4th Gear

Ohh, so you car is a Turbo? That must be the reason, I've read that it could'nt be done. I guess there a difference in the gearbox or other.

OK, I feel a bit better now, since my car is just a C4S

Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 04-25-2015, 03:29 PM
Ni_Mo
Racer

Ohh, so you car is a Turbo? That must be the reason, I've read that it could'nt be done. I guess there a difference in the gearbox or other.

OK, I feel a bit better now, since my car is just a C4S

Thanks for the quick reply!
JSebastian, mine is a C2S, the guy would installed the module has the turbo.

If you can wait I can give you the part number when I get home, just so you don't waste $$$$ like I did, that way you'll know for sure that it will work.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:47 AM
JSebastian
4th Gear

Oh, I missed that message. I did buy the Wheel, but it was cheap, so I can always sell it, if it wont Work, no problem!

Sure, please share the part no of the control Unit that you know Works

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2015, 08:17 AM
Ni_Mo
Racer

Oh, I missed that message. I did buy the Wheel, but it was cheap, so I can always sell it, if it wont Work, no problem!

Sure, please share the part no of the control Unit that you know Works

Thanks!
The wheel won't be a waste for sure, you'll just need to source the steering control unit, I'll post on here once I'm home. I love pulling things apart

Quick Reply: 997.2 PDK Multi Steering Wheel with TECHART Paddles into 997.1 Tiptronic Multi