Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poll on IMS 997 failures has very flawed results!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 12:09 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

'pleading to Porsche' is useless for those who are second-hand buyers with no pre-existing history.
it would be interesting to see how IMS retrofit for 2006+ cars evolves.

I have a feeling thou that in our cars a risk to get a D-chunk failure or a broken crank is higher than to have IMS bearing falling apart but it does not mean this component should be ignored.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:29 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty
Note that as we speak another option is available and another being worked on. Flat 6/LN Engineering is trying to figure out how to extract the bearing w/o splitting the engine, while another reputable florida outfit has the dirict oil feed system retrofit, and another is working on a roller bearing (although not sure if applicable in the 'revised' bearing case). Not sure how proven any of these are at this point, but in a year or so we may have more viable options. Other than that, if the worse happens you can plead the case to Porsche if you have not altered anything and serviced accordingly, especially in light of the class action suit related to the 'smaller bearing' failures
I was thinking this might happen sometime. It's only a few MMs of alumnum to shave off the case to remove the bearing. I'm sure it's possible but just a PITA. May be a viable option in the future.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:39 AM
mjberning
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An internet poll like this is not scientific

It would be better to check DMV records of all P-996s and P-997s still in service and compare to number sold to get a ceiling for the actually failure rate. The vehicles off the road would include those that were total loss due to collision as well as those that were a total mechanical loss

I really doubt that 8% of P-996-2 vehicles have had blown engines. v

I see about 6.2% of all P-996s for sale on autotrader and/or cars.com actually claim to have an updated IMS and nearly all of them said the previous bearing was intact.

Just because a vehicle had a replacement IMS does not mean there was an IMS failure. Thus I believe the bearing sales people inflate the failure rate as much as they can possibly do so without being overly avert about it

The statistic I would like to know is what % of Porsche vehicles had blown engines during the 1999 to 2008 timeframe
Old 11-29-2016, 10:49 AM
07CarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 64 Posts

Not to be a dumb question, but I have an 05' C2S that was built Nov/2004 and I called the dealer who serviced it but they don't have records prior to 2009 but did mention the flywheel was replaced under warranty in 2009. Do I assume that since it was also serviced prior to 2009 that the Porsche dealer would have upgraded the IMS under any recall during that time? Also are dealers still assisting those engines affected with IMS? And if so, how?
Old 11-29-2016, 10:58 AM
Derek Zoolander
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 07CarreraS
Not to be a dumb question, but I have an 05' C2S that was built Nov/2004 and I called the dealer who serviced it but they don't have records prior to 2009 but did mention the flywheel was replaced under warranty in 2009. Do I assume that since it was also serviced prior to 2009 that the Porsche dealer would have upgraded the IMS under any recall during that time? Also are dealers still assisting those engines affected with IMS? And if so, how?
Definitely not, and I have not [on rennlist] read of Porsche assisting anyone in the past 8 years. But I could be wrong.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:10 AM
07CarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek Zoolander
Definitely not, and I have not [on rennlist] read of Porsche assisting anyone in the past 8 years. But I could be wrong.
Ok thanks! I'm hoping that when the car went into service during 2005-2008 that they upgraded the IMS. If not, I might just have a local dealer here do it. Hopefully not too expensive.

Quick Reply: Poll on IMS 997 failures has very flawed results!