Sponsored by:

Weird high pitched squeal

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 04:53 PM
T951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weird high pitched squeal

I am hoping someone can help me solve an issue that I am now dealing with.

I will preface this by saying this all started immediately after I changed my air filter....this must be related.

Anyway, I have a very high pitched squeal that is clearly heard over my right front speaker. It is RPM dependant as well. It gets higher pitched as I rev.

I would imagine this to be a loose ground, but I cannot find one...and why would would changing the air filter impact it?

Another clue is that I was driving to the airport I hit a bump and it went away. (This also points to a loose ground).

Next, it seems to get quieter (inside) when I open the engine hatch...however there is a very LOUD high pitched noise and clicking on the top of the passenger side of the engine bay.

I read about AOS stuff....could that be it? I had a very light film of oil on my flap (I saw it when I changed the filter).

I have removed and re-installed the air filter...no change.

I thought it must be something that the airbox is touching....but the reinstall didn't change anything.

Any help or guidance would be most appreciated.

Thanks again!

t.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Air box touching the serpentine belt or an accessory drive pulley or something you disturbed touching the serpentine belt or an accessory drive pulley is a possibility.

Last thing touched and all that. If you want to get your hands dirty that is where I think you ought to look.

Check the belt for any signs of abrasion.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:26 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i agree with mac.........go back over your work
Old 07-27-2013, 10:35 PM
T951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agreed with both you, so I did exactly that. And there is no change. I was supremely careful and I made sure nothing was out of place....

I want to rule out anything expensive that is motor related. The alternator is on the far side of the engine bay relative to the noise, but it sounds like the alternator whine coming through. When I turn off the car it sounds like a capacitor discharging. (energy draining).

But the loud clicking and whining at the top rear right of the engine bay is what I am worrying about.

I appreciate the help. Thanks again.

t.

Quick Reply: Weird high pitched squeal