Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Move to Europe - take the Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:27 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Move to Europe - take the Porsche?

I'm kicking around the idea of moving to Europe for at least a few months per year (We have EU citizenship) and possibly permanently.

We just came back from a 5 week visit and racked up about 5K on a really great Audi A3 2 litre turbo diesel. That car was fun, but the 997 cab would be even "funner".

When ever I come back from Europe the 997 seems ridiculous to drive here with our placid speed limits and choked urban roads.

It's about $3 grand to ship it to Germany from Vancouver so I'm scheming to ship it - drive it when we visit Europe and store it when we're back home in Canada.

I'd probably just leave it on Canadian registration until if/when we establish residency there.

I'm assuming that it's cheaper to keep mine and ship it rather than selling and buying one to replace it over there.

Anyone have experience or thoughts on the subject?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:26 PM
yashagrawal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are in germany, might be worth it. many european countries have lower speed limits than the USA. The other downside is that shipping takes time, so you will be without your car for a long time...plus insurance costs in europe..
Old 07-27-2013, 03:08 AM
purrybonker
Pro

It's not just speed limits, but I can't imagine any place in the US with higher limits or better roads than Europe.

The Europeans have things sorted out - it's so much easier for them because they don't have the huge distances to build roads over that we are faced with in US and Canada. So their roads are waaay better built, designed and maintained than in North America.

Notwithstanding the German Autobahns - even the Italian Autostradas carry a 130 KPH speed limit (about 80 MPH) - but you will almost never see a cop to screw up the traffic flow. Drive 240 KPH if you like, just slow down for the well-advertised speed cameras or risk a ticket in the mail.

And no worries about idiots in the left lane in Europe. Just doesn't happen.

Same with Germany - they control the highways with cameras, watching for people driving irresponsibly - not just driving fast. Speed isn't the problem - idiots are the problem - it would be nice if we figured that out over here.

The best fun is the Strada Provinciale in Italy where the speed limit is 90 KPH - but this on roads where the twisties might require a very good driver to pull down to 30 KPH. Italians are very, very good drivers because many of them learn to drive in conditions where Darwinianism carries the day.

It is serious fun to follow a 70 year old woman setting up for late apexes in her 80 HP Fiat Punto. AMG 63's seem ridiculous on interstates here when you get back home after some country drives in Europe.

As with alcohol and drugs - we waste so much money on enforcing ridiculous speed laws in North America - we could really learn so much from the Europeans....
Old 07-27-2013, 12:27 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker

It is serious fun to follow a 70 year old woman setting up for late apexes in her 80 HP Fiat Punto. AMG 63's seem ridiculous on interstates here when you get back home after some country drives in Europe.

As with alcohol and drugs - we waste so much money on enforcing ridiculous speed laws in North America - we could really learn so much from the Europeans....
LOL..perfectly stated. Driving over there is joy. Never have I been so happy to get passed by a minivan than when its doing 100+ in the left lane
Old 07-27-2013, 01:25 PM
997C2
Advanced

There will be a couple of obstacles. You will not find an insurance company which will insure a car with US/Canadian license plates. I have done that and I know what I am talking about.
Also, your current registration will only be good for a certain time and you might need a state inspection/ emissions for renewal.
You will not be able to register the car in Europe without having a residence. In Europe you have to report to the local government (city) to report your residence.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:29 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by 997C2
There will be a couple of obstacles. You will not find an insurance company which will insure a car with US/Canadian license plates. I have done that and I know what I am talking about.
Also, your current registration will only be good for a certain time and you might need a state inspection/ emissions for renewal.
You will not be able to register the car in Europe without having a residence. In Europe you have to report to the local government (city) to report your residence.
That insurance comment is really good information. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

You might want to have paramedics standing by when you get your insurance quote for liability, collision, and theft, known in some countries as "full kasko". You have a cascade of issues to deal with. You can't get the car out of port until its registered. You can't get in registered without insurance. Depending upon age of car, you might liable for an import tax. To help you through all of this you will need a broker experienced in the entire maddening process. I worked for a large international corporation and watched with interest as a colleague imported his 928 GT back in 1992. His first insurance from a very large Swiss insurer came in at $1000 per MONTH!

Good luck. Perhaps things have changed in the last 20 years.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:23 PM
cup997laurent
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm living in France and the full risk insurance for my 997 4s costs about 1500$ per year ( 50 % off cause no accidents for the last years .) , not that much ....I had cars insured with German plates and spanish too , but i don' know if it's possible with Us or Canadian plates .
The problem is really speed limits, they will come from 130 kph to 110 kph ( about 70 mph.... ) and we have a lot of average speed controls, a camera read your number and an other one about 4 miles away read it again ..... Same thing in Italy . The only roads where you can drive your Porsche is small roads where speeds traps are not developed . My last speed ticket was from Germany ( the pics where really good quality . ) So Europe is not really the drivers Paradise.
You should have temporary plates to drive in Europe ( it's existing in France ) for a precise period , but i don't know if it's possible in Germany.
So good luck and welcome.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:30 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I was looking at a possible Germany move this summer (company wasn't awarded the contract so not moving) but I did a bit of research and one thing I read was that you can keep American plates for 6-12 months before you have to switch over to the EU plates. I never did get as far as to speak to insurance carriers but I know a bunch of American defense contractors do this every year and plenty of soldiers also.

Germany has strict licensing laws also from what I read. There is a is a written examination and an on the road driving test. They break it down by state as far as how your license transfers. For instance, Florida drivers are not required to take the driving exam, only the written. Some states like Alaska and Massachussetts are required to take both the driving and written exam to get a German license. The grace period for getting the German drivers license was also 6-12 months if I recall correctly. I'm not sure how Canada is dealt with, but if you have a lot of **** poor drivers and a high rate of accidents in your country then expect to go through the most strict process.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:14 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by cup997laurent
I'm living in France and the full risk insurance for my 997 4s costs about 1500$ per year ( 50 % off cause no accidents for the last years .) , not that much ....I had cars insured with German plates and spanish too , but i don' know if it's possible with Us or Canadian plates .
The problem is really speed limits, they will come from 130 kph to 110 kph ( about 70 mph.... ) and we have a lot of average speed controls, a camera read your number and an other one about 4 miles away read it again ..... Same thing in Italy . The only roads where you can drive your Porsche is small roads where speeds traps are not developed . My last speed ticket was from Germany ( the pics where really good quality . ) So Europe is not really the drivers Paradise.
You should have temporary plates to drive in Europe ( it's existing in France ) for a precise period , but i don't know if it's possible in Germany.
So good luck and welcome.
I'd love to drive my Porsche in Europe! I've visited but didn't have a nice car to drive.

While Cameras are creeping in over here in the states, at least we still have some say as to where. Not long ago the voters here in Arizona chose to eliminate highway cameras from the roads. You still find some at intersections (which is not a bad idea).
Old 07-29-2013, 12:31 AM
Renzsport
Instructor

It's not just speed limits, but I can't imagine any place in the US with higher limits or better roads than Europe.

The Europeans have things sorted out - it's so much easier for them because they don't have the huge distances to build roads over that we are faced with in US and Canada. So their roads are waaay better built, designed and maintained than in North America.

Notwithstanding the German Autobahns - even the Italian Autostradas carry a 130 KPH speed limit (about 80 MPH) - but you will almost never see a cop to screw up the traffic flow. Drive 240 KPH if you like, just slow down for the well-advertised speed cameras or risk a ticket in the mail.

Same with Germany - they control the highways with cameras, watching for people driving irresponsibly - not just driving fast. Speed isn't the problem - idiots are the problem - it would be nice if we figured that out over here.

The best fun is the Strada Provinciale in Italy where the speed limit is 90 KPH - but this on roads where the twisties might require a very good driver to pull down to 30 KPH. Italians are very, very good drivers because many of them learn to drive in conditions where Darwinianism carries the day.

This is very well put, sir. I must say I'm on the same wavelength.
GL if you do decide to bring your car to Europe.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:22 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm kicking around the idea of moving to Europe
Anyone have experience or thoughts on the subject?
Greetings from a fellow Vancouverite. I spent a lot of time working in Stuttgart on business and have thought about bringing my Porsche over there too.

I've done some research and you can buy insurance for your Canadian/US registered car through GEICO. http://www.geico.com/information/abo...ance/overseas/

Do give them a call and let us know what the rates will be. I think it was fairly reasonable when I called.

There were many members of the US military driving US plated cars in Germany. In the end, I think I'll buy my next Porsche with European delivery and keep it there as long as I can. Does anyone know how long you can keep driving a car in Europe if you opt for European delivery?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jury_ca
Greetings from a fellow Vancouverite. I spent a lot of time working in Stuttgart on business and have thought about bringing my Porsche over there too.

I've done some research and you can buy insurance for your Canadian/US registered car through GEICO. http://www.geico.com/information/abo...ance/overseas/

Do give them a call and let us know what the rates will be. I think it was fairly reasonable when I called.

There were many members of the US military driving US plated cars in Germany. In the end, I think I'll buy my next Porsche with European delivery and keep it there as long as I can. Does anyone know how long you can keep driving a car in Europe if you opt for European delivery?
My last Euro Delivery was in 2001. The limit used to be one year, but may have reduced to 6 months. You can keep it Europe as long as you like if you're willing to pay the 19% VAT on new cars sold in Germany. Carefully study the Euro Delivery info on the Porsche, BMW, and Metcedes websites and contact Porsche for more complete information. The practice was you had to pay a$10,000 deposit towards the VAT when you purchased the car. It was refunded when Porsche had proof that you exported the car within the time allotted.

My last Porsche ED was in 1993, my last summer living in Europe. The cost of insurance in Belgium beyond the two weeks included in the ED price was just too steep to justify it. So I sent the car to the USA after two weeks.

YMMV

PS I think the rules are different for US Service members and diplomats than for the rest of us.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:16 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just looked at the details on the Porsche website. You are required to pay the full 19% VAT when you rider the car, which will be refunded when the car clears US Customs. The time limit for use in Europe is now 6 months. I must presume that if you keep it longer is that you loose the VAT and you must reregister the car as German car. Your temporary customs registration / plates is ended.

Quick Reply: Move to Europe - take the Porsche?