Sponsored by:

Need help with insurnace company

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 07:05 PM
geo911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with insurnace company

I got into an accident. State Farm says they will replace 1 front tire and 1 back tire due to damage. I think they should replace all four. I have 14,000 miles on them. Is there anything official from porsche or anywhere else that supports my position?
Thanks in advance,
George
Old 07-22-2013, 07:21 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Can another SF agent give you details on your coverage? IMO, this has nothing to do with Porsche since the issue is with an accident, not improper tire wear due to regular driving. How long have you been with SF? Whether you're at fault or not, I think this is a negotiation you need to make with SF. Shop for the best price possible for 4 new tires and bring a number to the SF agent to cut you a check.
good luck
Old 07-22-2013, 07:38 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the other 2 tires aren't damaged due to the accident, why should the insurance company replace them?
I would certainly put 4 new tires on the car, but view it that I was getting an entire new set at 1/2 price.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:04 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I wonder if this is what you're looking for... per tirerack re Porsche N-Specification Tire Approvals.

Tires should be replaced no less than in pairs on one axle at a time. Only tires of the same tire make and type must be used. However, in case of tire damage such as cuts, punctures, cracks or sidewall bulges that cause a single tire to be replaced for safety reasons, the remaining matching tire on that axle must not exceed 30 percent wear. If the remaining tire has more than 30 percent wear from new, it should also be replaced. Handling inconsistencies may result if this is not done.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=26
Old 07-22-2013, 08:40 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 288 Posts

from page 239 of my owner's manual "If one faulty tire is replaced it should be noted that the difference in tread depth on one axle must not exceed 30%."

If they have not measured the remaining tread depth of any of the tires, then you run the risk of them measuring the tread remaining and prorating the replacement cost of at least two of the tires they've agreed to replace at full price. If you then win the argument to replace all 4 then they could prorate all 4 and you will probably be about where you are right now.

I presume they are reimbursing you for mount and balance at a Porsche dealer?

By the way, how did two tires get damaged in an accident?
Old 07-22-2013, 11:04 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I can't be specific but I know Porsche has policies. I have an aftermarket tire insurance policy (purchased from dealer when car was new). I had a rear tire destroyed by a huge nail. Since dealer couldn't get a Michelin Pilot Sport to match the other side, they said I needed to replace the other with a MPS2 so they matched. Actually I think they said the fronts had to match too. Very lucky for me, the insurance paid for the damaged tire and my dealer managed to get Michelin to GIVE me the other three for free (one of many reasons I love my dealer!).

Clearly the new two won't match your tread wear on the others. Bottom line, Porsche would require that you replace all four, at least that is their policy. You should push hard for this from the insurance company.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:11 AM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Tell them you're going to lodge a complaint with the state Insurance Department. If they hold firm have them replace the two tires but don't sign any release. Then make your case to the state Insurance Department. Check your policy. You may have the right to take a claim dispute to arbitration. I'm not certain what that costs, but you don't need a lawyer. You and the insurance company most likely would split the cost of an arbitrator. Each of you present your case. Whether it's worth it is up to you.

Tire rack has a good technical article on how to determine amount of tread wear. I created a spreadsheet for my car so that I could track it. It's not a complex calculation.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:21 AM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Porsche service manager once told me that running a new and old tire on the same axle can damage the suspension. Perhaps this is the answer you are looking for, maybe try to get it in writing?
Old 07-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX 911
If the other 2 tires aren't damaged due to the accident, why should the insurance company replace them?
I would certainly put 4 new tires on the car, but view it that I was getting an entire new set at 1/2 price.
+1

In life there are fights worth fighting, but trying to hold out for 4 tires is not a fight not worth fighting. If I was on a Jury, I would award you 2 tires and the wear on your other two is your business and not a result of the accident. Claims like this are why insurance rates are higher than they need to be and a hassle. Do what is right and fair.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Look, it comes down to the language in the policy that governs what is and is not covered - and, as the OP's policy isn't linked (nor are details of the claim), it's hard to provide reliable feedback. So, to the OP, read your policy and find any pertinent language that supports your claim that SF should be obligated to replace all four tires (if only replacing two can cause more harm than good). Even though policies tend to be boilerplate, it may be that the claims rep. is only looking at one section of the policy (on tire replacement?) when there may be another that covers your situation and should take precedence. In any case, you'll fare better, or at least have a fighting chance, if you can rely on your Policy first and then any technical info - as opposed to simply what Porsche or Tire Rack or we recommend. Worse yet, don't rely on "common sense" or "what's right" - if you have standing based on your policy, use it - you paid the premiums so try to get what you feel is contractually due. (I doubt that SF, of it's own volition, will apply common sense or doing the right thing.) Good Luck, and really, if it doesn't work out, look at it as PHX said, four new tires for the price of two.

Last edited by Tcc1999; 07-23-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:49 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

FWIW, I just ordered a full set of MPSS for ~$1,200 shipped. So worst case you'll be out $600 or so... Can you get SF to comp you for the N-rated tires and then get the MPSS instead. Some of the N-rated cost more... I recall that my PZero's were ~$1,500 for a set.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:42 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX 911
Well, the insurance is supposed to 'make you whole'. Fixing just the broken parts that then results in un-even or unstable wear on the other car system doesn't make you whole, it just fixes the currently broken parts from the accident. They should restore the car to the same driving stability - which means you cannot have a bunch more tread and traction on one side of the car than the other.

Of course they could just put worn tires on the broken side that closely match the undamaged set, I suppose.

But thats the logic I'd use with SF.. not sure it will work though.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:08 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Well, the insurance is supposed to 'make you whole'.
Not sure this is the reality. After all, you no longer have a 'no stories' car which means diminished resale value.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:43 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
+1

In life there are fights worth fighting, but trying to hold out for 4 tires is not a fight not worth fighting. If I was on a Jury, I would award you 2 tires and the wear on your other two is your business and not a result of the accident. Claims like this are why insurance rates are higher than they need to be and a hassle. Do what is right and fair.
+1 this is right on and the honest thing to do. I agree...the other tires are not damaged from the accident so why should State Farm have to replace those tires too? That makes zero sense. Fred you nailed it on this.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:12 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The other thought I had was the OP stated he had 14000 miles on the tires.
My rears never got more than 10000 miles before being slick as a baby's bottom, at least with the N rated OEM tires. The PS2's did a lot better.
I have trouble with 5 minutes before the accident there were 4 tires with 14000 miles on them, and somehow 5 minutes after the accident, you deserve 4 brand new tires?
Making you "whole" would be giving you back 4 tires with 14000 miles on them, IMHO.
I think you're coming out ahead as it stands with them replacing 2.

Quick Reply: Need help with insurnace company