Sponsored by:

heat from the Engine Compartment After Stopping

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 11:36 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Robocop305
I do the same exact thing! I thought that I was a little excessive, but now I know that I'm not alone!!
LOL... good to know that I'm not the only one.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:42 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 274 Posts

Actually, I turn on the garage heat extractor and use a fan to blow the heat out the back of the car. I also remove the road bugs and bird dropping before putting her to bed. lol....
Old 07-22-2013, 12:14 AM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
LOL... good to know that I'm not the only one.
Your fan club is bigger than you know.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:11 AM
megsfolks
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'Fan' club!!!, Too funny.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:18 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 75 Posts

I always pop the engine lid after a drive to assist in the heat rising up and out of the engine bay. (removed the light bulb from the hatch so it doesn't cause any battery drain)

As others have mentioned, the close combination of the motor/cats/mufflers makes for quite a bit of heat compared to a usual front engined cars configuration.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:12 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by AWay
I always pop the engine lid after a drive to assist in the heat rising up and out of the engine bay. (removed the light bulb from the hatch so it doesn't cause any battery drain)

As others have mentioned, the close combination of the motor/cats/mufflers makes for quite a bit of heat compared to a usual front engined cars configuration.
No need to remove the bulb - light will go out after about 2 hours - "load switch off"

If the ignition key is removed, loads which are switched on or are in standby mode (such as the luggage compartment light, interior light and radio) are automatically switched off after approx. 2 hours.

If you don't want to wait 2 hours, open the compartment and then lock the car with the remote - light goes out in about 20 minutes - hardly a battery-draining process.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:15 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by megsfolks
'Fan' club!!!, Too funny.
I suppose that in one way or another we're all fans of our cars. So cheers to my fellow RLer's who find themselves watching oil temps, obsessing over rock chips and which brand of oil to use, and knowing more then the average driver's fair share of TLA's and what to do with that esoteric knowledge... DME, PPI, CEL, and TPMS. Of course, I like to come back here for a helpful hint/resolution or even just some common ground to share with my fellow enthusiast when I'm feeling SOL.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:18 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by AWay

Leave the lid closed. This makes the action of the engine compartment fan more effective.

Note too the fan blows the air down. This is to reduce the effects of the hottest air rising from the exhaust system from being pulled out the top and thus overheating the other components higher up in the engine compartment.

When you open the engine compartment lid not only do you reduce the fan's effectiveness you encourage the hot air to flow up and thus heat the more sensitive components in the engine compartment.

Not good.

Leave the lid closed so the fan when it is turned on can do what it is supposed to do. Blow the hot air out the bottom of the engine compartment and bring in cool air from above.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Misdirection
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the track you see all manner of strategies for cooling the car down in the paddock after a hard run. After a cool-down lap there is still a great deal of heat. People are doing popped lid, fans, etc. I usually leave my lid closed to benefit the built-in fan.

A strategy that I've seen and often wondered about is leaving the car idling for a few minutes. The explanation is that it keeps the coolant circulating through engine and the radiators while the fans are going but the engine is not being run hard. And someone said something about an air/oil separator issue in 98X cars. Anybody have any feedback on that particular strategy?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:42 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by yashagrawal
Using fans to cool a car....you guys are nuts!
+1 . . . These are not F1 cars.

Maybe we should each have a pit crew w/ fans to cool the brakes when we pull in the garage.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:10 PM
westgate997
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have noticed this phenom. I also notice that the cooling fan does a good job of keeping the compartment cool when it's operating, like sitting at a stoplight. On a hot day I have run around back and popped the hatch to measure the temp and it's been pretty cool due to the fan. I did this because of the gripes from some about the Fabspeed intake being a "hot air intake" (not to start that conversation again)
Anyway, just ordered the Gundo Fister mod and am having the mufflers ceramic coated for better heat insulation- I'm interested to see the effect and will report.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:10 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by AP997S
+1 . . . These are not F1 cars.

Maybe we should each have a pit crew w/ fans to cool the brakes when we pull in the garage.
Well... to each his own. Even if you spent $$ for a pretty garage floor. Seriously please share some details re that nice looking garage setup... another thing I'd like to obsess over in the future after I secure a two post lift.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:19 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

In North Carolina where the heat is usually around 95-100 towards the end of the afternoon, I always pop the lid open and leave the garage door open to help cooling the engine. As we all know, hot air moves vertically from low to high and this helps tremendously the cooling of the engine bay.

I am thinking about designing a flat fan tray (scavenged from routers and switches telecommunication equipment) that will sit between the rear wheels and be triggered by the presence of the car above.

In winter, I do not do any of that as the engine cools very quickly as long as the garage door stays open.

Yves
Old 07-22-2013, 01:19 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Well... to each his own. Even if you spent $$ for a pretty garage floor. Seriously please share some details re that nice looking garage setup... another thing I'd like to obsess over in the future after I secure a two post lift.
Just teasing you guys. I know how **** us 'car guys' can get. No harm . . . No foul.

My floor is close to 7 yrs. old now. It's held up really well but could use a good scrubbing. It's vinyl 12X12 tiles by Race Deck. Here's the link if you want more info . . . . http://www.racedeck.com/
Old 07-23-2013, 04:59 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Joining the discussion a bit late but I seem to remember the owners manual recommending "raising the spoiler" via the lower center console "manual control switch" during hot wx and stop and go traffic on hot days. This may allow more air escaping and/or the fan pulling more air for cooling. In fact I believe that the spoiler will automatically raise at a certain thermostatically controlled temp. In any case, these rear engine cars do get hot, one of the reasons the serpentine belt gets checked and changed sooner than most cars. I have to back into my garage and that heat really accumulates back there after shutdown so I always give it 10-20 seconds of idle while fan is running!

Quick Reply: heat from the Engine Compartment After Stopping