Sponsored by:

New Wheels and Tires: MPSS on Champion RS 129's

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 11:33 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Misdirection
Looking very very good, usmc. I'll hope to run into you at some DEs sometime. You thinking PCA at TWS?

I recognize that p-dealer all too well, and also W. in the picture...he's a good guy.
Yes, TWS would be ideal as my two boys share an Apartment at A&M. I'll have a place to stay when it's DE season at TWS. Your avatar looks like the track there. ++1 on W. He is the best one at RBP. I started to DIY when I got my C2S b/c the other SA's were such knuckle heads. W. has really helped to change my perspective of the dealer. It's the individuals like him that make the difference. Now I'll even let the p-dealer change my tires and TPMS sensors.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 07-24-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Misdirection
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Yes, TWS would be ideal as my two boys share an Apartment at A&M. I'll have a place to stay when it's DE season at TWS. Your avatar looks like the track there. ++1 on W. He is the best one at RBP. I started to DIY when I got my C2S b/c the other SA's were such knuckle heads. W. has really helped to change my perspective of the dealer. It's the individuals like him that make the difference. Now I'll even let the p-dealer change my tires and TPMS sensors.
Yup, that's it in my avatar. I have pics from COTA and I still chose one from TWS for the avatar -- TWS is great. Once you try it out, you'll be hooked. It's such an underrated track. Having a place to stay is great, especially during football season. You might check out Harris Hill Road sometime, too. Different experience good in its own ways. If you haven't heard from someone else, make sure you sign up right as registration opens for PCA's TWS events. The first few run groups tend to fill up instantly. Feel free to hit me up anytime if you have questions about any of that stuff.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:37 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Harris Hill defiantly a fun track. I was forced to run some laps up there this morning..... oh how I hate it when that happens, but the SC needed to be exercised
Old 07-25-2013, 01:48 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

I met another RLer who did Harris this past weekend and that seemed like my best option for a track near Austin for a beginner like me. Hill Country PCA has an event in OCT at TWS and Lone Star PCA has some in SEP. Is this the best way to get started... just connect with my local PCA?
Old 07-25-2013, 03:21 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Great pics USMC! What did you decide with the Classics? Hope you kept them

Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-25-2013, 03:42 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Great pics USMC! What did you decide with the Classics? Hope you kept them

Mark/Pelican Parts
Thanks Mark. At this point I plan on keeping the Classics w/ PZeros for some DE's. And should I ever sell the car down the road I think the next owner might want OEM wheels... plus I suspect that I could get a better ROI on my Champions if I sell them separately.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:45 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Exactly what I was thinking! Enjoy the DE's!
Old 07-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Misdirection
Instructor

I met another RLer who did Harris this past weekend and that seemed like my best option for a track near Austin for a beginner like me. Hill Country PCA has an event in OCT at TWS and Lone Star PCA has some in SEP. Is this the best way to get started... just connect with my local PCA?
Honestly, the very best thing you can do to get started is the DEs with PCA. Extremely well-run events, focused on safety, great instruction, classroom time, mentors, etc. And TWS will hook you. H2R is fantastic, but unless you sign on for one of the organizations that occasionally do DEs there, you will have more focused instruction with PCA. In my experience, Longhorn region limited their DEs to their own region's members. Lone Star Region runs most of the DEs at TWS, and Hill Country has one per year in October, but it's effectively the same organization -- same cast of characters, same agenda. That's where I'd start. It's fun, you learn a lot, and it's also a fantastic group of folks.

Some info is here: http://www.lsrpca.com/drivers_ed.htm.

Registration is handled via ClubRegistration.net. The next event is listed (you'll have to sign up (free) and log in to get to this) here: http://clubregistration.net/driver/e...?event_id=5253

Then when you're hooked you can become a member at H2R and get in tons of practice (and socializing).
Old 07-26-2013, 11:37 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Thanks... this is very helpful. I also spoke to Jack at LSRPCA re how to register for their events. I'm signing up for these upcoming events and will be sourcing a helmet. All very exciting to finally get some DE's lined up. I know that I have not tapped into the full potential of the car but more importantly I've always been an advocate of training, training, and more training. When I was younger my buddies and I started wreck diving... to train properly for that we got our wreck and cave diving certifications. The NSS cave certs were over the top for wreck diving but over training meant that we were over prepared. A good thing as the more cave and wreck dives undertaken = more rolls of the dice. I don't plan on any boy racer antics but I'm hoping that the training will prep me to handle the car properly and may even save me on the public roads at some point. Of course, having fun on the track would be a bonus and likely addictive.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:20 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks... this is very helpful. I also spoke to Jack at LSRPCA re how to register for their events. I'm signing up for these upcoming events and will be sourcing a helmet. All very exciting to finally get some DE's lined up. I know that I have not tapped into the full potential of the car but more importantly I've always been an advocate of training, training, and more training. When I was younger my buddies and I started wreck diving... to train properly for that we got our wreck and cave diving certifications. The NSS cave certs were over the top for wreck diving but over training meant that we were over prepared. A good thing as the more cave and wreck dives undertaken = more rolls of the dice. I don't plan on any boy racer antics but I'm hoping that the training will prep me to handle the car properly and may even save me on the public roads at some point. Of course, having fun on the track would be a bonus and likely addictive.
adding to the thread's slight hi-jack ... if you can find the time and have the interest prior to your DE, do an autocross session (unless you have done them already). With the autocross being at reduced speeds it is easier to get a handle on car control and handling, especially break away points with tires and lateral forces with usually only cones to worry about. Plus if you are going to run your new MPSS's (they are great for stock DE cars!!) the autocross can scrub them a bit which is most definitely needed prior to the high sppeds at the track. This is only a suggestion, not a requirement by any means but I have found in helps to instill driver confidence as you gain familarity with yourself and your car.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:35 AM
naute
Advanced

Awesome photos and great looking wheels!!!!! Always good to keep the wife happy!!!!
Old 07-27-2013, 11:36 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm signing up for these upcoming events and will be sourcing a helmet.
If you can't find a helmet locally I HIGHLY recommend you deal with Clark at Apexperformance.net
Call him and talk to him and he will get you hooked up in the correct helmet and sizing. Many of us DE guys order helmets, gloves brake parts from him. He has a nice place just outside of Myrtle Beach SC which I have stopped in at many times and he supports DE, racers and rennlist.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:19 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

stronbl, thanks for AutoX recommendation. I'm looking forward to those as well. I plan on using my old Carrera Classics with near new PNero's for both AutoX and DE's vs. selling them.

mdrums, will be calling Clark at Apexperformance.net. Thanks for the reference.

naute, it's been 8 yrs since I spent a month going thru ANZ on business. Wish I had a Carrera to experience the roads back then. Must be fun.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:56 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks VG... I think you'll be really pleased with the Champions you're getting as well.
Finally got out and about to capture some amateur photos I like to share. Love the RG5's and all the other variations of Champion wheel candy here USMC..btw anyone have an idea how I can make my pictures smaller when attaching them here?

I also have found that the Klasse Sealant works well with all surfaces of the wheels..
Attached Images   

Last edited by vg247; 08-06-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:30 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Congrats Vg! Fantastic looking wheels. Great way to refresh an already great looking car. BTW, I used a shareware app, FastStone Image Resizer. Enjoy the Ride!

Quick Reply: New Wheels and Tires: MPSS on Champion RS 129's