ROTtec Lighting: Pathetic Company

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:59 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts
Default ROTtec Lighting: Pathetic Company

It's not something you really want to do on a large forum like Rennlist but sometimes you have to make the call. And this is that time.

Several years ago I was very pleased that ROTtec developed a set of rear LED aftermarket lights for our 997.1 cars to provide an LED solution that was essentially plug and play. They nearly are.

Then ROTtec introduced their front LED design. Everyone seemed happy with their design and I eagerly sent off my money for a front set to go with the rears. But within weeks of getting my fronts I was noticing fogging inside the passenger side assembly (not to mention the odd light fault--quickly solved with resistant packs).

In my climate, where cars just don't get dirty due to bad weather, it's a rare event to have to stop and wash the car and subsequently expose the lighting assemblies to more than something like a light rain. But fog up they did, and I quickly notified Ray of the issue.

Months went by. No action. More months. Finally, they reluctantly agreed to send out a replacement right hand front LED light. Well, at least they agreed to send it out. But they never sent it. Months went by. More months. Finally, after pestering their customer 'service' folks the elusive right front light assembly arrived the other day. I quickly opened the box--to discover that they way it was packed the wiring was damaged enroute. So, I quickly emailed them to say, "now what do we do?" No response.

Their products feature some innovative designs, but their execution is alright, not perfect, but far worse is their service and support. It's virtually non-existent.

We all have to keep in mind that design and manufacturing are not everything, particularly when their warranties are close to worthless. I've been playing this game with them for about 18 months.

Ray--if you're listening--I really tried to be a good customer, and give you a good recommendation, but this after sales support is unacceptable.

May others take note.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:02 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Dan, sorry to hear about the after sales customer service issues and thanks for taking the time to share with us. FWIW, FVD provides an explanation re the cause/effects of moisture within their head lamps. This might help to explain what you're seeing with the ROTtec even though it's a different branded light and front vs. rear lights. GL getting this resolved and keep us posted.
http://www.fvd.us/us/en/Porsche-0/99...pc._05-08.html

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 07-16-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:15 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Duly noted.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:04 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone

I'd be happy with a pile of crap; as long as the customer service is outstanding..........

customer service is EVERYTHING........
Old 07-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
I'd be happy with a pile of crap; as long as the customer service is outstanding..........

that's extreme. If you don't agree, I will sell you a pile of crap for a very good price, and I will be very warm, friendly, and engaging in the process...
Old 07-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Salem997
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May consider calling your credit card company to dispute charges. Often they double warranty as well, may result in at least a new set of lights...
Old 07-16-2013, 12:35 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

That's the problem with small companies, while months of no response is inexcusable.

I've been quite happy with Dectane lights (rears), they also look very much OEM.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:42 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

+1... This is one of the key reasons why many of my Mods are from FVD. We all know that Porsche mods/parts are expensive but for the premium price I expect it to also include a premium level of service. So far I've had nothing but exceptional service from FVD. Their components are well made... well beyond what I've come to expect from others and even Porsche. I've noticed lately that I've been relying on FVD 1st and foremost for all my projects. If they don't distribute or make it then I'll go to a secondary source. Let me tell you... it's very difficult to gain my trust but like Pavlov... if I'm treated well then I tend to come back for more. As you can see from the list of FVD parts installed or about to be installed onto my car below... I tend to vote with my hard earned cash for those suppliers/manufacturers who deserve my business. I love to mod my cars but only if I feel that there's a safety net on the other end to back me up when I need it. If you haven't done so give FVD a try the next time you have a project, talk to Rhonda, and don't forget to ask for the RL discount.

Installed Component
- Complete exhaust system swap manufactured by M&M and distributed to the US by FVD. Includes 200 cell cats, long race pipes, cans, and tips using 70mm vs. 63.5mm stock pipes. http://www.fvd.us/us/en/Porsche-0/99...ps_4x90mm.html
- FVD ECU tune http://www.fvd.us/us/en/Porsche-0/99..._FastLoad.html
- FVD extended oil pan/baffle and DIY... http://www.fvd.us/us/en/Porsche-0/99...otorsport.html

Recently acquired and to be installed
- FVD Chrono clock face gauge http://www.fvd.us/us/en/Porsche-0/99...uards_Red.html
- FVD Instrumentation face gauges http://www.fvd.us/us/en/Porsche-0/99...__Shifter.html
- Clutch kit http://www.fvd.us/us/en/Porsche-0/99...1__-560Nm.html
Old 07-16-2013, 02:30 PM
porka
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hope it all works out for you - i decided not to mess with my tail or fog lights due to the issues I have seen noted on the forums. yes drl's would be great but i do not buy into headache nowadays
Old 07-16-2013, 02:42 PM
MFank
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have to agree with Edgy - I had a horrible customer service experience with Rottec and my front LEDs. It took months to get a response and more time to get a resolution. All over a faulty resistor.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:59 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Scratch that company.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:41 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone

Originally Posted by Domer911
that's extreme. If you don't agree, I will sell you a pile of crap for a very good price, and I will be very warm, friendly, and engaging in the process...
really? and you live in Oklahoma too eh? bet there's some good crap in that state (jk)
Old 07-16-2013, 06:58 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

really? and you live in Oklahoma too eh? bet there's some good crap in that state (jk)
Rotes, you need to go back to your "traditional" avatars.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 528 Likes on 164 Posts

Sounds like ROTtec is making the same mistake a lot of "direct to customers" manufacturers make. They probably think they're in the "after market parts business," forgetting that they're actually in the customer service business.
This dooms many otherwise viable enterprises.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:37 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

as Dan (Edgy01) is a great forum member this should be a huge warning sign NOT to do business with ROTtec. I'm sure they will come back with a ton of excuses like so many other poorly run companies do on the internet...but...again...this is coming for a well respected and liked long time forum member and that should be taken seriously. We only have each other on these forums for advice and reviews.

Quick Reply: ROTtec Lighting: Pathetic Company