RMS leak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 02:02 AM
Renzsport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RMS leak?

Hey guys
just got back home yesterday from being out of town for 2.5 months. First thing on the schedule: Take Heidi for a spin obviously!
Tomorrow (saturday) I'm heading to a DE/lapping session at the local track (new pavement at Castrol Raceway!) so I planned on changing the break fluid and oil today. All went well except one thing, see photo below...

Looks like some oil sweating from between my crank case and bell housing which to me indicates RMS leak :s

There were no signs of it when I put her to sleep last october, but I understand letting an M96 sit for months tends to lead to a leaky RMS.

thoughts please!
Old 07-13-2013, 02:06 AM
Renzsport
Instructor

bear with me, having photo posting issues...
Old 07-13-2013, 02:11 AM
Renzsport
Instructor

here we go

Last edited by Renzsport; 07-16-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 284 Posts

My indy noticed something similar on my 2005 C2 (it had sat for weeks at time during winter) when i had it in for an oil change. Had him pull the trans out in order to replace what we thought was the RMS, but it turned out it was from around the IMS flange and looked more of a sweating (not a leak) like you say. Anyway I have the larger bearing so not really easily servicable, so we put back togetether and I am drivuing it much more frequently now and will monitor. Haven't got back under the car to inpspect yet, but will soon. Anyway some say its normal if it sits for awhile but who knows for sure. BTW the RMS was bone dry, but who knows that may be your issue/cause. Iit turend out to be a $900+ dollar oil change, but at least I found out I had the bigger bearing (2005 997 was mixed in terms of the beaing used) so its good and not so good.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:27 PM
Lugs H
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Same on my C2S. Near the end of a 5 month winter storage I noticed a few oil drops on the floor. It was wet in the same area as yours. My indy cleaned the area and I'm monitoring it. After close to 3 months of driving it's still dry.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:47 PM
Renzsport
Instructor

Hey guys
thanks for the replies. Yeah post oil change and continuous driving I haven't even seen another hint of oil, so that's a relief. I wish I could drive it all year round, but that's not feasible in Edmonton in my opinion.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:31 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 261 Posts

Apparently, these cars are meant to be driven so humidity won't accumulate.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:46 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Could be an RMS leak. My Turbo is showing oil wetness in that general area. The tech said it could be RMS but it could be from something else behind the bellhousing. He did check the engine over carefully and eliminated anything leaking above the bellhousing. However, the tech told me he won't know until he opens it up come next Tuesday.

I tried an oil/filter change -- fresh oil is less fluid and less likely to seep past a marginal seal -- which at first appeared to help but this last oil/filter service the leak sign is worse. Oil is forming drops and I checked where I park the car and there are oil spots on the pavement.

In the case of your car if the oil is not that fresh you can try an oil/filter service, clean the area and drive the car. The leak might dry up but don't bet on it.

If the oil is fresh then you have to live with the leak I guess. I can until the oil starts hitting the pavement or making a mess under the car.

Oh, in the case of my Turbo the RMS is around $1600 provided nothing else -- like the clutch -- needs replacing. The car has 110K miles on it and the clutch feels fine but I'll let the tech advise me what if anything else needs replacing while he is there.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:07 AM
Renzsport
Instructor

yes I was thinking the rms fix would be in the 1-2k range. Mine is still dry, so I can avoid it for now.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:55 AM
mdr2001
Instructor

Renzsport,

Where did the picture go??
Old 07-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Renzsport
Instructor

Mark, I had to remove it to get pics up for my lapping post... I can email it to you if you want - send a pm

Quick Reply: RMS leak?