19.23%
I have a clear bra but will leave it on as long as I own the car
55.77%
No clear bra, but I would remove it at some point if it had one
15.38%
No clear bra, but I would leave it on as long as I own the car
9.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Clear Bra: Remove or Leave it on forever?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 10:39 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clear Bra: Remove or Leave it on forever?

Curious what others' thoughts are on the clear bra regarding whether you'll leave it or plan to take it off at some point.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:12 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please feel free to explain your choice.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:15 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

My hood started to peel slightly at the edge mid-hood which made it quite visible so I took it off. That was after about 6 years. I left the fenders and bumper on. I have been tempted to peel them all off but they do such a great job at protecting from chips I haven't done it.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:05 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

When it wears out (and they do) I will reapply a fresh one if I am still keeping the car.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:08 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 115 Posts

I agree with Dereks, when it looks bad peel it off and put on a new one. The only problem I have is the film stains from certain bug juice. Maybe it's the speed I hit them at.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:11 AM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
I agree with Dereks, when it looks bad peel it off and put on a new one. The only problem I have is the film stains from certain bug juice. Maybe it's the speed I hit them at.
Wax it and you won't have this problem.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:28 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

Mine is showing swirls after four years. Will remove and replace with the self healing version like Xpel Ultimate. The Ventureshield has done it's job in protecting against rocks, bug splats, careless mechanics, and bird bombs, but is looking a little worse for the wear.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:03 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 276 Posts

I know I'm the exception but I'd never put that on my car. A chip here or there doesn't bother or faze me.....I bought this car to drive and I look at it as it's only a car (albeit a beautiful one)!

Besides I can always see them and to my eyes they look terrible.

A minority opinion but mine!

Tom
Old 07-12-2013, 10:09 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Curious what others' thoughts are on the clear bra regarding whether you'll leave it or plan to take it off at some point.
in my opinion if you decide to pull clear bra off there is quite a chance it may come off with paint and cause whole car to be repainted. plus you will see difference between sections that were previously covered.

if you do not like clear bra - wrap whole car into new color on top of it. it is simpler than to mess with paint.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:44 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 170 Posts

To my eyes, scuffed clear bra on my car looks far better than chipped paint on my car.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I know I'm the exception but I'd never put that on my car. A chip here or there doesn't bother or faze me.....I bought this car to drive and I look at it as it's only a car (albeit a beautiful one)!

Tom
Tom, a chip here and there is one thing but, depending on the roads you drive, you might feel otherwise if you ended up with a front end that looks like a moonscape. I had an M3 that had 50+ chips on the front; my first 911, driving the same roads with a clear bra, three barely noticeable chips. So, there is a tipping point where the terrible look of the bra is less irksome than the rock chips in your/my PTS car.

Oh, and to the point, I would replace mine but with a full hood instead of the half that I have now. Also, if you're worried about peeling the paint off when removing just have the installer remove it (probably for a charge but you shift the liability for any damage).
Old 07-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Gruson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like them either. The paint doesn't look as good or as shiny compared to that of a naked one.

Naked > Bra

Old 07-12-2013, 11:35 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Tom, a chip here and there is one thing but, depending on the roads you drive, you might feel otherwise if you ended up with a front end that looks like a moonscape. I had an M3 that had 50+ chips on the front; my first 911, driving the same roads with a clear bra, three barely noticeable chips. So, there is a tipping point where the terrible look of the bra is less irksome than the rock chips in your/my PTS car.

Oh, and to the point, I would replace mine but with a full hood instead of the half that I have now. Also, if you're worried about peeling the paint off when removing just have the installer remove it (probably for a charge but you shift the liability for any damage).
Tim honestly I've had 911s since 1999 and have never had a hood that looked like a moonscape.

Obviously....subjective as hell. Differing POVs make the world go round!

I personally wouldn't take one for free.

Also seems somehow a little pretentious to me. Like putting a car cover over your car or driving a cab with the windows up on the highway.

Hey I didn't get married until I was in my 40s so I kind of see things a little differently.

My 2 cents.

Tom
Old 07-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 154 Posts

Tim honestly I've had 911s since 1999 and have never had a hood that looked like a moonscape.

Obviously....subjective as hell. Differing POVs make the world go round!

I personally wouldn't take one for free.

Also seems somehow a little pretentious to me. Like putting a car cover over your car or driving a cab with the windows up on the highway.

Hey I didn't get married until I was in my 40s so I kind of see things a little differently.

My 2 cents.

Tom
It really depends on where you live. Here, they put pea gravel on the roads in the winter which absolutely kills paint and windshields. As an example, windshields on our DDs, on average, get replaced annually. If I could get by with the odd chip I wouldn't bother with a clear bra, but that's not my reality.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:03 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom
Curious if you live in a big city and/or take crowded (i.e. bumper to bumper) highways at highway speeds often for daily travel?

Quick Reply: Clear Bra: Remove or Leave it on forever?