Sponsored by:

A/C - Climate Control Buttons Worn

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 01:54 AM
rankoutsider
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A/C - Climate Control Buttons Worn

Had a quick look to see if this has been dealt with before or not and couldn't see anything.

I am looking at buying a 997.1 (2006) (first time Porsche buyer) and the only real issue is that the AC Temperature and Fand Speed Buttons are worn down to the 'white' underneath.

I doubt I can replace the individual switches - is repainting them an option?

The other option of course is to replace the climate control unit - which is probably expensive. Does anyone have any pointers to a good, online parts supplier?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:09 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

There are people who do recoat these things.

Try Eric (Bumper Plugs). He's one of our site sponsors.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:03 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hello mate, how about a sharpie??? ( a black permanent marker)
if it's a nice car the hell with those buttons!
I came across that same scenario in my first Porsche........but it didn't really bother me

good luck!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As mentioned above, there are several companies out there that will redo the buttons. The one I used was 'stickynomore'. Cost to redo the buttons was something like $80 if you removed the buttons yourself or $150 if you just sent in the climate control module. The restored buttons are not a perfect match. The new graphics are shinier than the original. But, overall I'd say it was worth the $80. If you decide to remove the buttons yourself, you're going to need a tiny set of star wrenches to get the screws out. I had to drive all over the place trying to find a set that would work.

Here's a link to some of the before/after photos. http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...l-buttons.html
Old 07-09-2013, 10:15 AM
sixgun95
Instructor

I think suncoast sells them. Personally I want mine redone, a sharpie will not work for me.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:59 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As mentioned above, there are several companies out there that will redo the buttons. The one I used was 'stickynomore'. Cost to redo the buttons was something like $80 if you removed the buttons yourself or $150 if you just sent in the climate control module. The restored buttons are not a perfect match. The new graphics are shinier than the original. But, overall I'd say it was worth the $80. If you decide to remove the buttons yourself, you're going to need a tiny set of star wrenches to get the screws out. I had to drive all over the place trying to find a set that would work.

Here's a link to some of the before/after photos. http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...l-buttons.html
Yea, after looking at the before and after pics, I would say 80 bucks well spent.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:25 PM
renncayman
Instructor

We found a new solution recently:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...witches-2.html
Old 11-27-2013, 03:37 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

I just used black trim tape. I also used it to cover the airabag warning stickers on my sun visor. Been on for 9 months now. Really, for the temp and fan switch, I don't change them that much. And no it no longer lights up. I'll take a pick tonight.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:55 PM
renncayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
I just used black trim tape. I also used it to cover the airabag warning stickers on my sun visor. Been on for 9 months now. Really, for the temp and fan switch, I don't change them that much. And no it no longer lights up. I'll take a pick tonight.
That´s a good one

Good thing about the climerepair kit is that it does light up (not as much as the original, but it does light more than enough to see the buttons at night...

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...r/DSC_0005.jpg

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...r/DSC_0006.jpg

Cheers
Old 11-28-2013, 01:28 AM
sixgun95
Instructor

Originally Posted by renncayman
That´s a good one

Good thing about the climerepair kit is that it does light up (not as much as the original, but it does light more than enough to see the buttons at night...

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...r/DSC_0005.jpg

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...r/DSC_0006.jpg

Cheers
Do you have a vested interest in climerepair?
Old 11-28-2013, 05:07 AM
renncayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by sixgun95
Do you have a vested interest in climerepair?

Just too much free time now that I sprained my ankle
Old 11-28-2013, 05:56 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered the decals from these guys. Will probably strip/repaint first leaving one band of white for the light to come through where the letters and icon are. Will post results.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:44 PM
renncayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by iammulva
I ordered the decals from these guys. Will probably strip/repaint first leaving one band of white for the light to come through where the letters and icon are. Will post results.
That might be also a very good alternative! Are the sides of your buttons very peeled? What hope of paint are going to use?

Cheers
Old 08-01-2016, 08:05 PM
kimchee411
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Resurrecting this thread since I couldn't find an answer this question: Can you continue to use climate control with the fan and temp switches removed?

I am going to send them in to stickynomore so I will be without the switches for 2 weeks+. It would be nice to be able to adjust climate control during that time.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:27 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kimchee411
Resurrecting this thread since I couldn't find an answer this question: Can you continue to use climate control with the fan and temp switches removed?

I am going to send them in to stickynomore so I will be without the switches for 2 weeks+. It would be nice to be able to adjust climate control during that time.
Did you remove the controls or are you sending the entire head unit in? If you keep the head unit the HVAC system will work but you'll be locked in at whatever settings you had when the toggles were removed. I sent my entire head unit in because I was afraid that after an hour of struggling that I was going to snap something and could not remove those control buttons. My system did not work with the whole unit removed. FWIW I got my stuff back in a week and they look better than they did when they were new. GL!

Quick Reply: A/C - Climate Control Buttons Worn