Power Steering Leak (Front)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 05:38 AM
tcesar888
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Leak (Front)

Hi folks!

I have an '05 997 C2. I believe I have a power steering leak in the front. The PS reservoir is very low, and the front underbody cover (which I haven't removed yet) shows fluid that has dripped etc...

Anyone have this happen before? Common? Is this a DIY or a shop repair?
Could it be as simple as a loose fitment that needs tightening?

Any advise or recommendations would greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

TC
Old 07-07-2013, 10:23 AM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I'll jump in since no one else is...

I've never seen a PS leak on a 997 (maybe others have) so my comments come more from general experience with modern BMWs etc. it's probably more likely that the rack is leaking. The lines don't ever move so unless someone pulled the plastic undertray off and monkeyed with them. The rack can leak from
-turning the steering to full-stop and continuing to crank the wheel.
-I've also seen racks leak because sometimes the tech will not hold the rack-arm still while adjusting the toe-
in.
-finally, you can see a leak if you hit a kerb etc.

Has any of this happened to your car? If it is leaking from the ends of the rack (you can probably see by pulling a wheel) the rack will have to come out and be replaced with a new or rebuilt rack.

If you've ever replaced struts on a car like this, I'd say that you could probably take this on as a DIY. You'll need jack stands etc. If you haven't done struts or something similar this might be a pretty ambitious project.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:40 PM
tcesar888
8th Gear

Thanks for the reply. This is very helpful.

I'm going to jack it up and take a look. I'm hoping its a loose line, but I have a feeling you are right; and that its the seal or something on the rack. Bummer.

If you change out the rack, do you need to have the car re-aligned?

Thanks again,

TC
Old 07-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

I've seen one 997 -- I do not recall the MY -- in the service bay and on a lift with what appeared to be a power steering fluid leak. The under tray was stained from the front on back with fluid.

I do not know the source of the leak however.

I have been told that at least for the pre-997 cars a high pressure relief valve can fail and route too high pressure fluid to the rack which forces the fluid out of the rack seals. The dust boots catch this fluid so the first sign of something amiss is a noisy power steering pump noisy because it is low on fluid.

Generally (there have been one or two exceptions) the power steering pump, the rack and of course the line that has the bad pressure relief valve all need to be replaced.

But whether this is what happened to your car's power steering I can't say.

If the rack needs to be replaced the alignment might be salvaged -- if it is good to begin with -- with careful noting of the position -- take lots of measurements -- of the tie rods so the relative positioning of each can be retained.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:56 PM
tcesar888
8th Gear

Thanks Macster,

I'm going to take it in to the shop this week to see what my options are. I hope its a reasonable fix. At least I can sleep easier (I guess) knowing where the leak is coming from.

Mahalo!

TC

Quick Reply: Power Steering Leak (Front)