Sponsored by:

Is the 997.2 the last true Porsche 911?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Mudcat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rvp325carrera
So here's something NOBODY ever seems to realize: LIFE IS SHORT.

My wife and I are both physicians. And I'm sure there are plenty of MDs on Rennlist so I'm sure my sentiments are not unique

Almost daily -- and seemingly randomly -- people are diagnosed w/ cancer, irreversibly affected by trauma, suffer the pain of affected loved-ones...

Any car is a just a CAR. This "collectibility' bull**** is nonstop. Who cares!!?? Drive the damn thing, and if you have $$, enjoy it, keep or sell, and repeat the cycle if desired. Will you folks really care about the value of your 911 should your wife, sister or mother get breast ca? I think not. Remember this post. My post seems unnecessary. And gratuitous. But you know something, I see the "surprised/shocked" looks and anguish on people's faces almost daily when confronted w/ bad news...

Got a 911 that's mass produced? DRIVE it as intended. Anyone w/ $$ can get a 911. Perspective is a little harder to come by unless it smacks you in the face.

---
Proud owner of a 997.1 C4S, 6 speed that I drive 365/yr. With a carseat fitted for my 3 yo son. And he loves the hell out of it, too.
---
So true!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:42 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen and read this several times when Porsche Technical Directors and engineers are asked the same question: Which is the best Porsche 911?

They always answer: The next one
Old 06-29-2013, 10:41 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Well said, doc! Thanks for the reminder to get my priorities in proper order (even though I can fully remember every smack on my mug!)

My mom recently passed away and I made sure to take her for rides in the 911 as frequently as possible and put the stupid smile on her face while sharing one of my passions with her. That in and of itself made any depreciation meaningless.

My wife and I are both physicians. And I'm sure there are plenty of MDs on Rennlist so I'm sure my sentiments are not unique

Almost daily -- and seemingly randomly -- people are diagnosed w/ cancer, irreversibly affected by trauma, suffer the pain of affected loved-ones...

Any car is a just a CAR. This "collectibility' bull**** is nonstop. Who cares!!?? Drive the damn thing, and if you have $$, enjoy it, keep or sell, and repeat the cycle if desired. Will you folks really care about the value of your 911 should your wife, sister or mother get breast ca? I think not. Remember this post. My post seems unnecessary. And gratuitous. But you know something, I see the "surprised/shocked" looks and anguish on people's faces almost daily when confronted w/ bad news...

Got a 911 that's mass produced? DRIVE it as intended. Anyone w/ $$ can get a 911. Perspective is a little harder to come by unless it smacks you in the face.

---
Proud owner of a 997.1 C4S, 6 speed that I drive 365/yr. With a carseat fitted for my 3 yo son. And he loves the hell out of it, too.
---
Old 06-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

---
---

I abide. My 911 see's regular 900 mile roadtrips and is my grocery getter
Old 06-29-2013, 11:06 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 951 Posts

My last Porsche was a 2000 Boxster S (I put 197K miles on it including track time) and now I have a 2009 C2S.....

The Boxster was more fun. This C2S is just too disconnected.... it is a GT cruiser.

I don't know what 911 was the last true sports car Porsche made but they lost it by the time I purchased my 2009 C2S.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-29-2013, 11:41 AM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Ask a 996 owner. No, ask a 993 owner. Wait, ask a 964 owner. And so on... It's a mass-produced car, drive it and enjoy it for what it is. Collectibility? On a 997? Over 60,000 of those were imported here.

And how many more threads do we need on the same topic?

+1
Old 06-29-2013, 12:06 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

---
---
Pedantic perhaps, but really, who could express a better reply than the Bard?

Duke of Exeter: "This was a merry message!"

Henry V: "We hope the make the sender blush at it."
Old 06-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Do us 997.2 owners have a gem on our hands worth holding onto, since VW took over 100% in 2012? Of course nobody knows what the future will hold, but I can't imagine that being the last generation of the 911 to be under Porsche control, won't add to it's value and collectability.
Interesting viewpoint, but I don't look at it that way. It doesn't matter to me who owns Porsche. If it's a Porsche, it's a Porsche. And if Porsche says it's a 911, it's a 911.

Who knows, if Porsche starts to get future cars terribly wrong, people may look back and say "Ah yes, the 997 was the last true Porsche 911". So you could be right, but my feeling is that scenario is unlikely. I accept the 991 as the rightful successor to the 997, it's certainly a 911 in my view.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
On a 997? Over 60,000 of those were imported here.
49,250....but you were close.

rvp325carrea-best post I have read this year.

My 997.2 is my daily driver. A couple weeks ago while walking into my office a co-worker ask me if I was worried about driving my Porsche today because it was supposed to rain.

My reply was, "It's just a car." He probably thought I was being an *** but I was dead serious.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:07 PM
rvp325carrera
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad some of you guys appreciated my thoughts. Of course, I love this forum, and love the posts (in general) -- last thing I want to do is induce an emotional rift.

On side note (but analogous), I bought my wife her engagement ring while a 3rd year resident (she was a 2nd year medical student), at a time when I was comparatively dirt poor. She never takes the ring off; as an ER physician she'll get all sorts of 'stuff' on it, and you know what? WHO CARES? It's a diamond. An expensive one, sure, but a STONE nonetheless. It's symbolic of so much more.

Material items, regardless of cost, are useless if not used/enjoyed. Plenty of rich folk out there are slaves to their merchandise. Their Porsche's own them, not the other way around.

Own your 911. Drive it. Hard. And if the IMS bearing blows up, then kill yourself )
Old 06-30-2013, 09:44 AM
rj5620
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1
Old 07-03-2013, 10:56 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Glad some of you guys appreciated my thoughts. Of course, I love this forum, and love the posts (in general) -- last thing I want to do is induce an emotional rift.

On side note (but analogous), I bought my wife her engagement ring while a 3rd year resident (she was a 2nd year medical student), at a time when I was comparatively dirt poor. She never takes the ring off; as an ER physician she'll get all sorts of 'stuff' on it, and you know what? WHO CARES? It's a diamond. An expensive one, sure, but a STONE nonetheless. It's symbolic of so much more.

Material items, regardless of cost, are useless if not used/enjoyed. Plenty of rich folk out there are slaves to their merchandise. Their Porsche's own them, not the other way around.

Own your 911. Drive it. Hard. And if the IMS bearing blows up, then kill yourself )
In more of a response to your original post, your preaching to the choir Doc. My 7 yr daughter old needs full blown open heart surgery in Sept. She in not eligible for less invasive procedures. We've been sweating having to do this since she was born 5 weeks primature, had 3 holes in her heart (one remaining) and Ectopic kidneys. We have now run out of time and have to have it closed. This thread, posting on the boards, cars, materials, etc, etc are not a priority at all to me, it's a nice diversion from the horrors of reality.

Quick Reply: Is the 997.2 the last true Porsche 911?