Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wind noise from top of b pillar - adjustments and TSB?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:02 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default wind noise from top of b pillar - adjustments and TSB?

Hi Folks

997.1 2005 C2S: I have a wind whistle at highway speeds at the top of the driver's door next to the b pillar.(it is NOT the mirror problem)
I have removed the plugs from the bottom of the door and tried to adjust but not really getting any better. Is there a hint/tip for adjusting properly?
Window drop appears to be the same on both sides of the car, so should be OK.

Apparently there is a TSB 6440 about this. Does anyone have the text of this TSB?

Cheers

Matt
Old 06-27-2013, 01:30 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 142 Posts

I have the same problem on my '06S. I think mine's on the passenger side, though. It goes away when I tilt open the sunroof. I've brought it to the dealer, but they can't find it. I'm kind of geting used to it. But I would like to know WTF it is!
Old 06-27-2013, 01:36 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem middle of the top of the window, so I 'rearranged' the w-strip on the body. I pulled the weatherstrip out slightly on both sides of the leak (about a foot or so) and 'massaged' it towards the leak to bulge more rubber into the leak area. Then pushed it into place. The leak is gone.
There are options like adding thin felt sticky-back tape to the area to fill the void. You can buy black moleskin tape for restorationspecialties.com, it isn't noticiable unless you are looking for it. Or check with a good Auto Interior shop, they may have some tape. I have used the tape on my driver with good results.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have the annoying whistle. But it happens with the window down as well.

B.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:27 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The infamous whistle has been discussed before. I have it too but seems to come from right side mirror area, difficult to pinpoint it exactly. Some say it is from the bottom of mirror, PCA tech experts say it comes from leading edge of the "frunk" and it should sit lower that trailing edge of front bumper.

In your case it could be a misaligned door or rubber window seals.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:35 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

For sure it's not the mirror problem that I have seen a lot of others write about. Does anyone have access to the tsb mentioned above, maybe on renntech?
Old 06-28-2013, 05:52 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
Hi Folks

997.1 2005 C2S: I have a wind whistle at highway speeds at the top of the driver's door next to the b pillar.(it is NOT the mirror problem)
I have removed the plugs from the bottom of the door and tried to adjust but not really getting any better. Is there a hint/tip for adjusting properly?
Window drop appears to be the same on both sides of the car, so should be OK.

Apparently there is a TSB 6440 about this. Does anyone have the text of this TSB?

Cheers

Matt

I checked TSB 6440 but it only applies to cabs and recommends adusting windows so they press harder on the weatherstripping. I've never found a TSB on window noise for coupes.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:32 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sullivas
I checked TSB 6440 but it only applies to cabs and recommends adusting windows so they press harder on the weatherstripping. I've never found a TSB on window noise for coupes.
Would you be able to post the tsb here or if not pm it to me anyway?
Old 06-28-2013, 08:50 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
For sure it's not the mirror problem that I have seen a lot of others write about. Does anyone have access to the tsb mentioned above, maybe on renntech?
If you are certain that it is coming from top of B pillar then check your roof mounting latches (2 on each side) that open and close, you know for mounting bikes and roof racks, etc.?

The source of the whistle is deceiving and changes depending on which window is down and how much or which side of the car you are sitting. I hear it from the right side mirror, my son sitting in front passenger seat hears if from the rear, etc. So I have basically learned to live with it, another quirk in the life of 911 ownership.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:33 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Kiwi check your PM's.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:16 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 982 Posts

Try adjusting the window out (via the plugs under the door)... it seems counter intuitive but it worked on my Boxster.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-01-2013, 12:10 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Try adjusting the window out (via the plugs under the door)... it seems counter intuitive but it worked on my Boxster.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Bruce - is there any DIY on this? Where can I find out how to do this adjustment?
Old 07-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Bruce - is there any DIY on this? Where can I find out how to do this adjustment?
Sorry, I don't have the tech detail but I was with the Porsche tech who adjusted my window. Cut me a bit of a break here... this was 10 years ago.

The wind noise was coming from the A pillar/window/roof area. The tech came out with a ratchet wrench, opened my door, popped off rubber caps, cranked the nuts about a half turn or so, grabbed the glass and moved the window IN. Total procedure took less than 5 minutes.

I took it for a spin and the wind was worse. I came back and he did the same but this time pushed the window OUT away from the car. Problem solved.

My impression was that this is something any one could do.

Good luck,

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-01-2013, 10:02 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Yes it's fairly easy, take off the 2 inner rubber plugs underneath your door and you'll see 2 10mm nuts. Release them to move the front and/or rear of the window mechanism via the bottom rails (and hence the opposite direction to the top of the glass) in or out.

Quick Reply: wind noise from top of b pillar - adjustments and TSB?