Sponsored by:

Life after range 6 overrev moneyshift

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:40 AM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Life after range 6 overrev moneyshift

This last weekend I moneyshift my 997.2 GTS going from 3rd to 4th and instead grabbed 2nd at over 100 mph. It was a simple mistake. As soon as I let the clutch out I knew I'd misshifted and pushed the clutch right back in. I smelt a bit of burnt clutch but otherwise no odd sounds or reaction from engine. My heart on the other hand -took a solid beating. Had the car checked out (for peace of mind) at the dealership and the DME read:
Range 1: 900 ignitions
Range 2: 12
Range 3: 18
Range 4: 59
Range 5: 78
Range 6: 77
The numbers all make sense to me ...as you'd progressively build towards the peak and then back down.
The dealer said I should not worry about it for a second as the engines are made to rev..... And it was only there for a split second. However they did say that if I ever had an issue with the engine in the future PCNA would take those overrev's into consideration. If I hadn't experienced the split second event you'd never now it ever happened. I found a ruff approx online of how long the 77 ignitions translated to at over 9500 RPM (stage6):
Over rev ÷ 3 = RPM over limit ÷ by rpm at time
(the 3 represents one half of the cylinders)
Example: 77 over revs is:
77 ÷ 3 = 25.66 rpm ÷ 9500 = 0.0027 of minute.
My question for you is what if anything I should request and pay for as a test at this point to test for damage. The dealership has said don't worry about it and did not suggest any further testing. There are no check engine lights or any odd sounds/vibrations. I share all this for get your thoughts and to share my experience so others might learn from my mistake. (it's really really really easy to misshift.) The car was bought grand new in March and has just over 5k miles. It was meticulously broken in with an oil change at 2k miles.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:26 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Drive it and don't worry about it. If there is something to really worry about, it will show up on its schedule and you can't do anything about it. The only real concern you are liable to have is if you are trying to resell the car down the road.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:41 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry to hear about that, but the damage is done.

As said above, just forget about it. If something happens, you'll be the first to know.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:49 AM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 63 Posts

As others have said, don't worry about it. I would have the oil analyzed if nothing else to make you feel better. I analyze my oil after every change as the analysis can tell you if there are any abnormal metals or larger quantities of metal in the engine. Granted the shift might stretch something which would not show up. The only time I had any issue with the analysis was after a grinding noise on the chain tensioners which sounded awful at the time and according to my oil analysis it was.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:15 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SBPORSCHE
This last weekend I moneyshift my 997.2 GTS going from 3rd to 4th and instead grabbed 2nd at over 100 mph. It was a simple mistake. As soon as I let the clutch out I knew I'd misshifted and pushed the clutch right back in. I smelt a bit of burnt clutch but otherwise no odd sounds or reaction from engine. My heart on the other hand -took a solid beating. Had the car checked out (for peace of mind) at the dealership and the DME read:
Range 1: 900 ignitions
Range 2: 12
Range 3: 18
Range 4: 59
Range 5: 78
Range 6: 77
The numbers all make sense to me ...as you'd progressively build towards the peak and then back down.
The dealer said I should not worry about it for a second as the engines are made to rev..... And it was only there for a split second. However they did say that if I ever had an issue with the engine in the future PCNA would take those overrev's into consideration. If I hadn't experienced the split second event you'd never now it ever happened. I found a ruff approx online of how long the 77 ignitions translated to at over 9500 RPM (stage6):
Over rev ÷ 3 = RPM over limit ÷ by rpm at time
(the 3 represents one half of the cylinders)
Example: 77 over revs is:
77 ÷ 3 = 25.66 rpm ÷ 9500 = 0.0027 of minute.
My question for you is what if anything I should request and pay for as a test at this point to test for damage. The dealership has said don't worry about it and did not suggest any further testing. There are no check engine lights or any odd sounds/vibrations. I share all this for get your thoughts and to share my experience so others might learn from my mistake. (it's really really really easy to misshift.) The car was bought grand new in March and has just over 5k miles. It was meticulously broken in with an oil change at 2k miles.
Looks a little strange since I don't understand how you can have 77 in range 6 and only 12 in range 2 - you have to pass through range 2 (and 3,4 &5) to get to range 6 so you should have had at least 77 in range 2...but it sounds like you'll be OK as others have mentioned.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:13 AM
7500rpm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SBPORSCHE, if it makes you feel better, I have hundreds of ignitions in ranges 4, 5 & 6 and thousands in ranges 1, 2 & 3 IIRC. And I am quite certain I am still adding to them regularly, not from moneyshifts but simply from overly aggressive driving in the track. I will PM you when I blow my engine up due to these 'over-revs' but I really do not think you have anything to worry about.
jhbrennan, the range numbers make sense. It does take a split second to realize that you have mis-shifted so the revs accumulates at the high end. After you react by jumping back on the clutch, the flywheel will continue to add a few more ignitions before allowing the revs to drop. With the clutch disengaged, the engine revs drop quickly pass thru those lower ranges.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:16 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Suggestion, record when it occurred and any test and services performed after. Then, when you sell it and the buyer performs a PPI,you can assure the buyer that this event was not yesterday and this is why you are selling.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:24 AM
7500rpm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tgavem
Suggestion, record when it occurred and any test and services performed after. Then, when you sell it and the buyer performs a PPI,you can assure the buyer that this event was not yesterday and this is why you are selling.
There's a recorder accompanying the over-rev counter. I believe it shows the hr when the last over rev was recorded. You can compare that with the lifetime counter which then shows you how long ago the over rev occurred.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:26 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Think you are wayyyy overthinking this and didn't need to get it checked out in the first place! Everybody makes mistakes, I've had the rev limiter kick in a couple times on multiple cars. I think that if you let the clutch fully out, the rev limiter would have saved the engine, but you would have most definitely had tranny damage. However, that's a moot point, since you caught it.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:55 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

This happens all the time when one is flat-out racing. ALL THE TIME. Even to the pros. Either the engine or tranny blows up or it doesn't. If it doesn't, you recover and go for the next apex. Reduced engine or transmission life? Probably. Who cares? If you were driving 100 presumably you were having fun.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Looks a little strange since I don't understand how you can have 77 in range 6 and only 12 in range 2 - you have to pass through range 2 (and 3,4 &5) to get to range 6 so you should have had at least 77 in range 2...but it sounds like you'll be OK as others have mentioned.
yeah, i dont like it either - every single readout i have seen on these sites has had the "pyramid" effect re: the numbers up thru the ranges. lower ones should have more ignitions than upper ones resulting from getting hit during spin up AND spin down. i've seen base, S, GT3 readouts etc and all follow that logic but...maybe i've never seen GTS? maybe that model records differently...?

Originally Posted by 7500rpm
SBPORSCHE, if it makes you feel better, I have hundreds of ignitions in ranges 4, 5 & 6 and thousands in ranges 1, 2 & 3 IIRC. And I am quite certain I am still adding to them regularly, not from moneyshifts but simply from overly aggressive driving in the track. I will PM you when I blow my engine up due to these 'over-revs' but I really do not think you have anything to worry about.
yep i also have a ton in the lower ranges also as well as 4 and 5 from a money shift long ago and no issues (yet, knock wood).

Originally Posted by 7500rpm
the range numbers make sense. It does take a split second to realize that you have mis-shifted so the revs accumulates at the high end. After you react by jumping back on the clutch, the flywheel will continue to add a few more ignitions before allowing the revs to drop. With the clutch disengaged, the engine revs drop quickly pass thru those lower ranges.
does your readout pyramid/cascade or does it look like the OP's? it just looks fishy to me but but i guess this could be something i simply havent seen yet. but as stated above i have seen plenty on here and other forums and they all look as you would expect from spin up/spin down hits.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:24 AM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Think you are wayyyy overthinking this and didn't need to get it checked out in the first place! Everybody makes mistakes, I've had the rev limiter kick in a couple times on multiple cars. I think that if you let the clutch fully out, the rev limiter would have saved the engine, but you would have most definitely had tranny damage. However, that's a moot point, since you caught it.
rev limiter can't prevent this type of overrev from a bad shift.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:34 AM
RC911
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

i own a 2012 C2S that also has 105 Range 6 over-revs from the original owner. I purchased the car in Dec 2012 from a P-Dealer with 3300 miles on it and it is CPO'd so I'm not worried about it. Personally I think the DME report was meant to show obvious abuse but an occasional mis-shifts happen. Maybe its just me but its seems silly one or two instances would render these cars unsellable or flawed. If this were true, why would Porsche CPO my car? They weren't concerned about it and neither should you be. I'm with others....just drive and enjoy, its fine.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

I'm not so sure you over reved the engine as much as you think you did.

Also, the over rev numbers look a bit strange to me but I can't offer up anything scientific to back up this feeling.

As long as the engine is not exhibiting any untoward behavior don't worry. Generally if there was any damage from the over revs you'd know it right away.

The techs tell me an hour of engine run time after an over rev event with no signs of any issues is a good indicator there isn't any issues.

I agree with the dealer: I'd not bother to have the engine tested, compression checked, etc. The DME constantly monitors the output/performance of each cylinder each power stroke and if it finds the cylinder weak will turn on the CEL with one or more misfire codes.

Just drive the car as you would normally and worry about something else.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:49 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
rev limiter can't prevent this type of overrev from a bad shift.
How does that make sense, if it's automatically triggered by a certain rpm? I would think that it might not catch it at the 7k range, because the rpm will immediately jump much higher, but at that high point, engine would then cut out. So maybe what you are saying is by the time it kicks in, it's already too late? That makes more sense to me.

Quick Reply: Life after range 6 overrev moneyshift