Sponsored by:

Steering lock problem, 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:34 PM
dieselophile
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering lock problem, 997.1

At 41K miles one fine day I could not unlock my steering wheel, it was stuck in lock. I tried everything I could think of for a couple of hours, including trying my second key - still no success, needed to have it towed to my mechanic, they tried electrical diagnostics and determined that the security module was working but the steering lock solenoid was not recieving a signal- they tried reprogramming the keys, changing the lock, ultimately the steering column unit needed changing (apparently the electrical module is not separately available and is built into the column unit) - parts $1800, labor $400 - after 6 miserable weeks it was a pleasure driving the car again! I searched everywhere and don't seem to see this specific problem and solution reported.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

that sucks. i've never even seen/heard of that problem before. usually when wheels lock on me (not yet on my Pcar tho), i just turn hard in the opposite direction of the lock, then try the key. but i guess that only works when it's hung up/stuck "mechanically". never heard of it being electrically stuck. oh well at least they fixed it.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:10 PM
dieselophile
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll post the exact part number replaced so hopefully others can reference this problem if need be.
Old 09-02-2023, 07:14 PM
wbauer2
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure if this is the same issue but yesterday I started the car and was backing out of the garage. As i'm backing up, I feel the steering wheel lock up - can only move it a fraction in each direction. I turn the key off, restart it and feel the lock disengage. Start backing up a bit more and as I turn to reverse out of the driveway it locks again. Same thing, turn the key off, restart so the lock disengages and now it's fine. I put it into 1st and slowloy did a lap around the neighborhood to make sure and all seemed well. Today when I drove it, no issues at all.
Any thoughts?
Old 09-03-2023, 12:35 PM
JABowders
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I read a thread where someone's steering wheel locks sometimes when they put it in reverse ... is it possible there is a fault in that circuit causing the issue, Possible test is when you are in reverse and find your steering locked, return the transmission to Neutral to disengage the Reverse Lights (and anything else associated to being in reverse) and see if the steering unlocks.
Old 09-06-2023, 11:47 AM
wbauer2
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Tried that - though since it's a 6-speed, don't know if it would have the same effect as an automatic. Regardless, taking it out of gear didn't do anything.

Quick Reply: Steering lock problem, 997.1