Sponsored by:

Bummed about condition of used 997 cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 12:38 PM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I looked for 9 months.

Was flexible on color (black, gray, blue) and interior options(standard or full) and driveline (C2s or C42).

A lot of cars had torn up consoles, scratched up paint, shoddy looking seats, and scraped door jambs at relatively low miles.

I eventually landed on a 2010 C4S with full leather and 10K miles that sold for 10% less than a car across town at another dealer that had a damaged interior, was misaligned, and had 25K miles.

You really have to look as many buyers in the 997 market are not enthusiasts and will simply buy whatever is on the lot to be in a car immediately.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:30 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen the same thing. Black interior seems to wear the best. I looked at a local 2007 turbo with 20k miles, has terracotta interior...looked like hell! The terracotta was worn off in numerous areas with black showing underneath. I would agree about cars being at dealers not being the cream puffs. I'm a little surprised the dealers don't detail the cars better...it's not brain surgery.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:50 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with wheeler. It's easy to respray interior consoles and touch-up the seat bolsters. We have a guy locally in Salt Lake City that does this for a living... For $50, he can "spray" the interior bits and make it look almost factory new... Its not hard, nor is it expensive!

-B
Old 06-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I actively searched for 11 months without any flexibility. I was set on a 997S with PCCB's, Full Leather, Adaptive sport seats and below 18,000 miles. I found one at month 5 - lost it to another ebay bid. Found it again at month 11 and wired the money direct to the private seller site unseen. Car had 10,038 miles and was in mint condition when it arrived. 4 years later still a pleasure and now at 43,000 miles.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:24 PM
porka
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

condition condition condition.. i would rather a car with higher miles over one with a beat up interior and low miles. when i sold my 996tt which had one of the cleanest interiors known for its age. I was hell bent on replacing the car with something in similar condition.

believe it or not i picked up a 2005 c2s.. the car had 45k miles but literally no blemishes anywhere! you can just tell when a car has been looked after and cared for. I looked at plenty c2s models and they were totally beat.. setereo and ac controls were worn out and scratches all over the place!

it must be said though if you find a good car make a decision quick.. they sell fast!

mike
Old 06-25-2013, 03:04 PM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sebis
Hi,

I am looking for a used 997, I set a budget at about 50K. I went to check on couple of cars today and I am a little bummed about what 50K can get you nowadays. Case(s) in point:
- 2005 C2S with with 36K miles, asking price 47K, the red paint had lots of swirls and clear bra covering the front of the car was turning yellow, interior was in worse condition than my uncle's 2005 Mercedes E class used as DD.
- 2007 C4S CPO with 35K miles, asking price 57K, paint was in better shape but the interior was terrible, even worse than the 2005, some of the controls were melted at the surface and most leather surfaces had visible wear signs.
- 2009 Targa 4S with 24K miles, asking price 66K, out of my range but wanted to see a 2009 specimen. This looked better BUT, still visible signs of wear on some leather surfaces, PDK shifter and door panels. Hey, my 2009 JCW Mini with 44K miles was in better shape when I sold it last month.

Is this what to expect in my price range or I just run into some bad specimens?

TIA

--Sebis
Sounds like you have been at Porsche of North Houston.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:08 PM
sebis
Racer

Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
Sounds like you have been at Porsche of North Houston.
You caught me
Old 06-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Unfortunately, the vast majority of these cars are owned by folks that simply want to be seen in a Porsche, but care less about what they’re really experiencing, and even less about maintaining it. They simply own it, for a short duration, then move on to the next fashion statement. Then there is us, the folks in this forum: Egotistical, know-it-all, opinionated… sorry, sorry, got sidetracked… Then there is us, the folks in this forum who are enthused and drive 911’s for all they’re worth. And knowing it also means taking care of it.

We’re a few, in the grand scheme, but we also buy and sell and trade, etc. You will find a 911 owned by this latter group, and you will appreciate what a driven, but well-cared for, car looks like after several years of love.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:55 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
Unfortunately, the vast majority of these cars are owned by folks that simply want to be seen in a Porsche, but care less about what they’re really experiencing, and even less about maintaining it. They simply own it, for a short duration, then move on to the next fashion statement. Then there is us, the folks in this forum: Egotistical, know-it-all, opinionated… sorry, sorry, got sidetracked… Then there is us, the folks in this forum who are enthused and drive 911’s for all they’re worth. And knowing it also means taking care of it.

We’re a few, in the grand scheme, but we also buy and sell and trade, etc. You will find a 911 owned by this latter group, and you will appreciate what a driven, but well-cared for, car looks like after several years of love.

Well said.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:08 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Secretaries are hard on cars
Old 06-27-2013, 05:24 PM
mikewils
Advanced

Originally Posted by wheeler
I've seen the same thing. Black interior seems to wear the best. I looked at a local 2007 turbo with 20k miles, has terracotta interior...looked like hell! The terracotta was worn off in numerous areas with black showing underneath. I would agree about cars being at dealers not being the cream puffs. I'm a little surprised the dealers don't detail the cars better...it's not brain surgery.
So you looked at the one at Aristocrat? I was thinking of going up tomorrow to drive it for fun. Love the white, not sure about the terracotta. Seems like my instinct might be right.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:59 PM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikewils
So you looked at the one at Aristocrat? I was thinking of going up tomorrow to drive it for fun. Love the white, not sure about the terracotta. Seems like my instinct might be right.
Yes, my son and I stopped by the other day. I live in OP as well. The car has a sort of "tuner" feel to it...non stock wheels, lowered, just kind of feels like it was "messed with" and not cared for. The interior is worn clear through to the underneath black base coat in a number of places, the seat has what I call "mechanics a$$" on it, no longer has the at Stuttgart smell. Somebody spilled or sloshed a drink in it, console is rough. Which then explains why it's not the typical grossly overpriced used car there. The salesman I like, Mike Diaz, wasn't in so I didn't ask to drive it but I may if it hangs around. It's certainly a good test drive candidate! Meaning it's not nearly clean enough be corralled on the showroom floor like some they take. Let me know if you drive it!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:40 PM
mikewils
Advanced

Wheeler, I went up today and drove it. Feels like it has way more than 19k miles, both to drive and the interior in general. This was my first drive of a 997TT, so I have no frame of reference. But I suspect this was not a very good example, and the tech art stuff is not my taste. Didn't help that the sales guy knew nothing about the car. I suspect driving a rennlister's TT would be a much better experience.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:54 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea look around. If you go to a dealer you PROBABLY are not going to find cars like mine
2009 C2S 10K miles flawless. Guys like that KNOW that they cant get much at a dealer for
the plum cars. I hate to say this but, to the dealers its just another VIN, They look it up in
the book and thats the price they give you for a trade in PERIOD. So to find that cherry of
a car you have to go private sale. Unless you have a dealer who knows you VERY well. My BMW
dealer gets hot cars and calls a small group of us to see if we want first shot at this Aston Martin,
Porsche, M3, or whatever trade it is. But even then its not often.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:35 AM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Took me 2 years to find my car. I have always "settled" in the past. Always. I swear, I told myself I would hold out and get EVERYTHING I wanted this time around.

No Adaptive Sport Seats? No car
No Sport Chrono Plus? No car
No full leather? No car
No 6mt? No car
Gray or Beige interior? No car
Not a Coupe? No car
Miles above 50k? No car
Not a 2S? No car....

you get the point. Easily over a year and a half later and wouldn't ya know, I found it RIGHT HERE on Rennlist!!!! Who knew it would turn out to be an Arctic Silver/Full Cocoa car with PCCB's? Keep up the search, you'll find it! I had to bring mine all the way from CA to FL but it was well worth it.

(obviously these were MY personal prefs) nothing wrong with a higher mile car or a beige interior

Last edited by Perk10; 07-06-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Bummed about condition of used 997 cars