Sponsored by:

Carfax correction procedure

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 09:40 PM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Carfax correction procedure

Has anyone attempted to correct a carfax report? The first owner of my car had a minor rear end accident resulting only in the replacement of the bumper cover. This was confirmed in the PPI and by examination by a body shop - no damage was ever sustained to the body, no paintwork other than the bumper cover. The carfax report lists this accident as a major accident - apparently anything over a $500 repair cost is considered major. If anyone has successfully disputed an entry on a carfax report I would appreciate hearing about it. They have a procedure but from what I have learned they typically just ignore correction requests and there is no recourse.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:51 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

snow ***** chance in hell they will update anything. sorry
Old 06-22-2013, 12:47 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,447 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by D1coach
Has anyone attempted to correct a carfax report? The first owner of my car had a minor rear end accident resulting only in the replacement of the bumper cover. This was confirmed in the PPI and by examination by a body shop - no damage was ever sustained to the body, no paintwork other than the bumper cover. The carfax report lists this accident as a major accident - apparently anything over a $500 repair cost is considered major. If anyone has successfully disputed an entry on a carfax report I would appreciate hearing about it. They have a procedure but from what I have learned they typically just ignore correction requests and there is no recourse.
so the car was in an accident and the repairs were more than $500?

what is there to correct? seems like the carfax is accurate?
Old 06-22-2013, 02:06 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Best bet is to try to get proof from first owner showing proof of what was repaired. I had a 2011 Cayenne that had it's bumper scuffed up in a minor parking lot accident. No damage to parking sensors but the large bumper panel had to be removed and resprayed. Guy who hit me claimed it on his insurance (just over $1k). His insurance company cut me a check and told me to keep the money or get it repaired. I ended up just selling it with the very minor damage. I just checked my vin on another carfax style report and it never showed up. Neither did a 2002 BMW 330i where a parking attendant smashed my front left fender and bumper. Parking lot paid for the repair with a check (about $3k). I told buyer when I sold it but this accident also didn't show up on a 'carfax' report I just checked recently.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:05 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 236 Posts

Carfax also depends on any Police accident report provided. If the Police said its a major crash then unfortunately you are stuck.

My first Carrera had a small smash where the bumper was replaced and the front fender repainted (scratches) and it was branded as major crash.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:00 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Carfax reports are worthless. I had 1 vehicle years ago I wrecked in a snowstorm, filed insurance and it had a CLEAN CARFAX REPORT. Had another car which had never been in any accident and somehow carfax had "Accident" on it (and date of accident was 5 days before the car was even titled and while it was on the showroom floor before I bought it...with 0 miles.

Worthless.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:08 AM
D1coach
Racer

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
so the car was in an accident and the repairs were more than $500?

what is there to correct? seems like the carfax is accurate?
I couldn't find where carfax defines what differentiates minor and major accidents, someone mentioned the $500 breaking point. From their website:

Details about the accident or damage event when reported to CARFAX (e.g. severity, impact location, airbag deployment) are included on the Vehicle History Report. CARFAX recommends you obtain a vehicle inspection from your dealer or an independent mechanic.

I was hopeful that I could provide evidence ( police report, PPI, affidavit from body shop ) that this accident was in fact minor and have the report changed to reflect as such, but may be sol.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:57 AM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carfax reports are not unlike individual credit reports from the 3 sources, they are imperfect and an it takes an act of God to correct them.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:36 AM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

D1- are you thinking about selling?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:44 PM
D1coach
Racer

BED- No, I am not anticipating selling but anything can happen in the future. Was just wondering if the entry on the carfax might factor in the insurance equation if the car is damaged in another accident or totaled or stolen. It might be hard for me to argue diminished value if a major accident is already in the car's history. Probably like most things in life, needless worry.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:57 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

D1- I was looking at a used 911 and carfax said it was registered in texas when it was not. The owner did have success in getting that corrected. Maybe you could get a live person's contact info there and send a written statement like he did- and they will amend things.

Quick Reply: Carfax correction procedure