Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best exhaust and air intake for 2006 Carrera S?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Hani
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best exhaust and air intake for 2006 Carrera S?

Hey Guys!
Im thinking about adding aftermarlet exhaust system and air intake. Im looking Not for too loud ones but the one that sounds lound only when I press on the peddle or riv the engine, any suggestions?
Do I have to add a chip to improve the performance when I add the exhaust and the intake?

Thanks
Old 06-21-2013, 09:49 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I suggest you to visit 6speedonline site, more suited to your needs based on your two posts.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I wouldn't touch a thing on the intake side.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Easy:
IPD Comp plenum + GT3 TB w/ stock air filter box. Don't touch the air box unless you really know what 'cha doin'.
Exhaust: Good Lord! Pick one. X-51, Tubi, Cargraphic, AWE, Fabspeed, etc. etc.....
Either Re-flash or stock ECU tune: FVD, or Softronic, EVOMSit, or ???
Done.
No CEL's, no issues, Lots of $$$ spent, satisfaction guaranteed, gains? Well, minor improvements over stock C2S mostly due to really $heettyy stock headers and very conservative tune due to emission regulations.
Improvements in sound dept. for sure. Improved drivability, bragging rights, annoyed neighbours, what else?
Help me folks!
And more importantly, 160*F T-stat, 3-rd rad, proper oil, coolant flush, proper maintenance, driving school, Oh my !!!! Oh No!!!
Forget, everything I said before!

Luke
Old 06-22-2013, 01:11 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 637 Posts

my take...
if you want sound improvement, you must swap out the cats for 200 cells. start there and then go with a muffler swap. i have had gundos, cargraphics, afterhours and now going to tubi. i will have my cargraphics for sale in a couple weeks probably. headers you can swap or keep - i went with X51s, but there are plenty of options. many here leave them factory. 6SO members are more prone to upgrades, just fyi. equal length headers from any of the aftermarket manufacturers will fit the bill also. intake - do it if you want. no proven gains, just a nice howl above 5k. i run the evo unit and like it. you don't need a flash, but it will improve the curves and optimize what you have on the car if you want it. not necessary unless you want the last 5% from everything.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:27 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't do a CAI (Cold Air Intake) because they are really HOT Air Intakes, because they suck in hot air from the engine compartment. The stock intake pulls air from outside the car.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:26 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I suggest you to visit 6speedonline site, more suited to your needs based on your two posts.
What does this suggest?
Old 06-23-2013, 03:55 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
What does this suggest?
that a certain amount of assumption is being made...?
Old 06-23-2013, 06:37 PM
Gibbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there

Intake wise the stock airbox is fine, just fit a BMC filter and bypass the resonator using a silicone tube, or even better dremel out the resonator to free up more airflow. Doing this is worth 3-5BHP and gives far better throttle response and intake noise.

The ultimate airbox is the carbon X51 as it sounds truly amazing and looks excellent but cost a huge amount of money, worth upto 10BHP. You must get a custom map with an X51 airbox though otherwise your car will run around 14.7 AFR as the aperture where the maf sits is larger on the X51 intake, this is too lean.

Exhaust, just start with 200 cel cats, go with straight pipes as per stock design, these don't loose you any low-down torque and give gains of upto 25BHP in the mid-range and about 10BHP peak. Exhaust wise well down to personal preference on sound as they all sound different but PSE is superb.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:24 AM
kevinrubin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Hi there

Intake wise the stock airbox is fine, just fit a BMC filter and bypass the resonator using a silicone tube, or even better dremel out the resonator to free up more airflow. Doing this is worth 3-5BHP and gives far better throttle response and intake noise.

The ultimate airbox is the carbon X51 as it sounds truly amazing and looks excellent but cost a huge amount of money, worth upto 10BHP. You must get a custom map with an X51 airbox though otherwise your car will run around 14.7 AFR as the aperture where the maf sits is larger on the X51 intake, this is too lean.

Exhaust, just start with 200 cel cats, go with straight pipes as per stock design, these don't loose you any low-down torque and give gains of upto 25BHP in the mid-range and about 10BHP peak. Exhaust wise well down to personal preference on sound as they all sound different but PSE is superb.
And adding flame stickers to the hood and front fenders adds an easy 1-2BHP at the wheels!

Old 06-24-2013, 01:31 AM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinrubin
And adding flame stickers to the hood and front fenders adds an easy 1-2BHP at the wheels!

Like Opel Manta from Super Ingo commercial for DEA from about late '80 in Germany?

To which ARAL responded with the following:

Alles Super!

L

Quick Reply: Best exhaust and air intake for 2006 Carrera S?