Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 10:28 PM
2005997carrera2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
The dealers love to shove air in there. Mine knows how I like it and leave it alone but I get the feeling that they think I'm crazy ;-)
I think my dealer just doesn't think.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:58 PM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The pressures reported here are quite interesting compared to my experience...and I must confess cause me some confusion. My Pilot super sports liked 42F/46R for autocross. These pressures were set using chalk/polish on multiple runs across numerous events. At these pressures the wear pattern on the sidewall are right at the sidewall arrow tip. Dropping below 40 and I get too much sidewall roll. Heck, in one run, I basically chewed the sidewall arrow off when I tried 38 PSI. I've confirmed my pressures with a number of my fellow racers and they all seem to agree that the pressures are right, within +/- 1 PSI. So my pressure finding are a good 8-10 PSI more than those reported here.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong...just trying to understand the big difference in pressures reported here and what I find I need for autocross. My pressures are operational pressures. I adjust pressures after each run to keep them at the desired pressure. I'd guess that if I didn't do that, the pressure change would be on the order of 6-8 PSI. Maybe that's why mine seem higher?

My car is a 997.1 running 19" lobsters with Pilot Super Sports. Well it was. I changed to 18" rims in order to get Durezza ZIIs. With those I run 41/45.

Edit: Chased several of the threads and keep seeing reports of pressures in the mid-upper 30s. I can tell you my car does not like that and just don't understand why I have to run higher pressures. I've got several gauges, and they all read the same. So I'm running in the 40s. Just thought maybe I was bonkers. Checked the car just now and it's 41/44 with the wear pattern at the correct location. Any ideas my I need higher pressures?
Old 06-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 494 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Rotmilky
The pressures reported here are quite interesting compared to my experience...and I must confess cause me some confusion. My Pilot super sports liked 42F/46R for autocross. These pressures were set using chalk/polish on multiple runs across numerous events. At these pressures the wear pattern on the sidewall are right at the sidewall arrow tip. Dropping below 40 and I get too much sidewall roll. Heck, in one run, I basically chewed the sidewall arrow off when I tried 38 PSI. I've confirmed my pressures with a number of my fellow racers and they all seem to agree that the pressures are right, within +/- 1 PSI. So my pressure finding are a good 8-10 PSI more than those reported here.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong...just trying to understand the big difference in pressures reported here and what I find I need for autocross. My pressures are operational pressures. I adjust pressures after each run to keep them at the desired pressure. I'd guess that if I didn't do that, the pressure change would be on the order of 6-8 PSI. Maybe that's why mine seem higher?

My car is a 997.1 running 19" lobsters with Pilot Super Sports. Well it was. I changed to 18" rims in order to get Durezza ZIIs. With those I run 41/45.

Edit: Chased several of the threads and keep seeing reports of pressures in the mid-upper 30s. I can tell you my car does not like that and just don't understand why I have to run higher pressures. I've got several gauges, and they all read the same. So I'm running in the 40s. Just thought maybe I was bonkers. Checked the car just now and it's 41/44 with the wear pattern at the correct location. Any ideas my I need higher pressures?
It's actually quite simple:
When you're on the track it's always a compromise between optimal pressure and optimal tire temp. And all the threads above are for track driving. In a 45 sec A/X stint the tires get barely warm and you don't have to compromise. On the track I need up to 2 laps to get the tires up to temp.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:22 PM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2005997carrera2
I went on a great Roads and Rails trip with PCA last weekend and while pushing it a little on the dragon and some other twisties I noticed some slight tire squealing. Someone in the group recommended lowering the tire pressure slightly, and I wondered if any of you knew the optimum front and rear pressures for nb 19in Super Sports. Thanks in advanced for any help.
If you get no tire squeal you're not going fast enough

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tire Pressure