Front Tire Wear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:03 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7500rpm
Yemenmocha, you cracked me up.
Always happy to entertain or be laughed at.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:06 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I've noticed that mine are also wearing more n the outsides up front. This has increased since doing DE events so I'm assuming I need more camber up front. I'll check with my tech but I'm pretty sure I'm maxed out on the stock suspension. Time to consider a lower control arm upgrade.

What tires an pressures are you running?
PZeros for now and I'm not doing any DE's. 33 front, 39 rears. We have two seasons here in Phoenix and now is the time when my car will not get below the 80's until September, even in the garage. Winter we get big fluctuations anywhere from 40's at night to nearly 80 daytime.

Looking at a switch to Michelins
Old 06-12-2013, 11:09 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
is your car lowered? you may have toe issues?
Not lowered. Car is 100% stock except for clear side reflectors.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:15 AM
7500rpm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You absolutely need to have your alignment looked at when you throw in the Michelins or you'd be wasting money. You have abnormal tire wear. Next step up from P-zeros in the Michelin range would be the Pilot Sport 2. They are fantastic.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:32 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Nah, that's not really outside corner wear at all- track/autocross on a camber-challenged car will literally erode that corner and round it off- to the point where at this point in your tire's life, you'd see no tread pattern whatsoever between the first channel and the sidewall. Slightly too much toe out will give you wear like you're seeing. Get your alignment checked when you change your tires and you should be fine..
Old 06-13-2013, 04:04 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Aaron,

Just received your PM. Your front's are obviously not wearing normally. Best bet is to have your alignment checked, because even though it might feel like it's tracking properly, it's what you can't feel at this point that may be the culprit. Have it checked and post results! Good Luck!
Old 06-13-2013, 06:09 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Agree with the majority of comments - looks to be an alignment issue as the wear is not typical for fronts - toe problem or past pressure problem???. After your alignment and new tires, I suggest a good quality tire tread depth gauge (they're not expensive) and keep a log for a few months, maybe even a year or 18 mos depending on amount of driving. Measure your outer, middle, inner tread depth on all 4 tires with tire pressure and see if you find any anomalies building. If so, then you have other issues too such as suspension, bearings, wheels, etc. Very simple, easy, and quick way to know how those 4 points of contact are behaving.

Last edited by stronbl; 06-13-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-13-2013, 06:26 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stronbl
Agree with the majority of comments - looks to be an alignment issue as the wear is not typical for fronts - toe problem or past pressure problem???. After your alignment and new tires, I suggest a good quality tire guage (they're not expensive) and keep a log for a few months, maybe even a year or 18 mos depending on amount of driving. Measure your outer, middle, inner tread depth on all 4 tires with tire pressure and see if you find any anomalies building. If so, then you have other issues too such as suspension, bearings, wheels, etc. Very simple, easy, and quick way to know how those 4 points of contact are behaving.
Great idea!
Old 06-13-2013, 11:10 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Only my first and latest Porsches have had uneven tire wear and both had alignment problems. The two that did not have tire problems were because I made the selling dealer do an alignment check before I would take delivery. My latest CPO had about 22K miles when I got it and my test drive on city streets did not show any tire problem. On a subsequent drive on a smooth road I could hear the tires literally howling. The car tracked straight and seemed to handle fine. Even though the outer tread of both front tires had plenty of depth, enough to pass the CPO, the insides were both more worn and feathered/cupped. The selling dealer paid for an alignment and two new front tires. I have never had uneven tire wear on a car that was properly aligned.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:25 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone. Alignment scheduled. Switching to Michelins too.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:13 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Thanks everyone. Alignment scheduled. Switching to Michelins too.
My front passenger tire is also wearing the same way, with the inside showing greater wear. My driver side is wearing evenly. I also currently have P Zero Rosso tires.

I'd like to know how your alignment goes, whether much adjustment was needed or not. I had a a full alignment done 3 years ago. Have never hit a curb or pot hole since and my car tracks straight and true. So I'm doubting if my wear is caused by the alignment. Wondering if my suspension might be showing some age, since my car is a 2006 model.

Last edited by Mspeedster; 06-14-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:20 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
Agree with the majority of comments - looks to be an alignment issue as the wear is not typical for fronts - toe problem or past pressure problem???. After your alignment and new tires, I suggest a good quality tire tread depth gauge (they're not expensive) and keep a log for a few months, maybe even a year or 18 mos depending on amount of driving. Measure your outer, middle, inner tread depth on all 4 tires with tire pressure and see if you find any anomalies building. If so, then you have other issues too such as suspension, bearings, wheels, etc. Very simple, easy, and quick way to know how those 4 points of contact are behaving.
Here I thought I was the only **** retentive engineer who kept spreadsheets logging tread depth/wear across the face of the tire. A tip, measure the tires when new because the tread depth is not the same in all of the groves. For softer track tires, I also logged heat cycles and the durometer of the rubber across the tire.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:57 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
Here I thought I was the only **** retentive engineer who kept spreadsheets logging tread depth/wear across the face of the tire. A tip, measure the tires when new because the tread depth is not the same in all of the groves. For softer track tires, I also logged heat cycles and the durometer of the rubber across the tire.
Yep ... it's a habit I got into from way earlier days of off road racing. Now doing DE's / TT's and it just naturally came back. Always seemed to make sense to know what was happening to those 4 points of contact between me and the road.

To the OP - hope the alignment solves your issues. Please keep us informed if it does not do the trick.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:56 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Results:
Old 07-02-2013, 09:06 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

any thoughts from those who have contributed earlier?

I really wish I had researched the PS2's more before buying because I didn't realize how "beefy" they are in appearance. I much prefer the slimmer profile tires. I swear the ride height has increased noticeably. They're not sufficiently broken in to comment on grip with spirited driving.

Quick Reply: Front Tire Wear?