Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions, please about garage floor

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I live in an area of very high humidity, cold winters (with salted roads), and generally crappy weather and my floor has held up over a year just fine.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:59 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

What do you guys think of Race Deck and other interlocking plastic tiles?
Do they last and withstand the weight and abuse?
What happens when you spill oil, water, coolant?

Any experience with these tiles?

Thanks
Yves
Old 06-03-2013, 08:47 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I have racedeck and love it so far. The only thing I would keep away from it is welders, but I do not do that type of work.

I live in New England and was worried about the snow, salt, and crap from winter. We just had one of the worst winters ever and it held up just fine.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:35 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Another question about Race Deck and other similar interlocking tile floors:

How does the plastic tiles behave when you use a jack and try to lift a car with it?
Also, what happens with these tiles if a large amount of liquid is poured on top of them. Does the water goes underneath and evaporates?

I have requested some samples tiles and will give it a try to see if it withstand the sharpness and pressure of the steel wheels of a jack lifting a car.

Yves
Old 06-04-2013, 12:57 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

I have Modutile in mine as well. I feel like a **** because even on top of the tiles I have a 'Clean Park' bordered rubber mat to collect water, etc. (Which is really only from washing the car)

I too have wondered what would happen if I let water onto the snap together tiles. Stay under there and mildew?
Old 06-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Pretty much all surface treatments need periodic treatment to keep them in shape. The sellers won't mention this up front.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:36 PM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My race deck flooring has held up great for years. It's raised and channeled so water runs off (garage has an ever so slight pitch). I hose it off in the summer and that's about it. I jacked up the car once and had no issue. It's very sturdy down to the individual tile IMO.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:32 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in a high-desert dry climate, and my epoxy floor has held up perfectly. It is now 10 years old this month, and looks new. No lifting due to hot tires. I did have it professionally installed though...

I'd buy it again. IMHO, it looks better than RaceDeck or Tile. I prefer the look of our honed marble tile in our bathrooms & kitchen, but maybe that is just me...

-B
Old 06-04-2013, 11:27 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Another question about Race Deck and other similar interlocking tile floors:

How does the plastic tiles behave when you use a jack and try to lift a car with it?
Also, what happens with these tiles if a large amount of liquid is poured on top of them. Does the water goes underneath and evaporates?

I have requested some samples tiles and will give it a try to see if it withstand the sharpness and pressure of the steel wheels of a jack lifting a car.

Yves
No issues jacking on it at all. Like was said earlier it has channels that lets the water out. I never had a large spill besides the water/snow coming off my wifes van, it has not caused an issue at all.

I had both this tile and Epoxy, I like both. It would be a tough decision if I did it again. At the end of the day I did not want to go through all the work for an Epoxy floor. My last one I did myself before we actually moved in, it was very easy and it was able to cure a week before we touched it.

If I did a NEW Garage and had Zero Moisture issues I would probably do Epoxy again. The problem is you have no idea if moisture might become an issue after you do it.

I do not think you could go wrong with either.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:36 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

Tile Tile Tile! Every factory in Europe including Porsche uses tile. Take a look at your local european dealer, they all use tile even in the shop. I have porcelain tile in my garage and love it. Easy maintenance and absolutely no problems with cracking or water. If you plan to work in your garage then install in-floor heating. Having a lift is the coup de gras.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Chazcamp (02-17-2021)
Old 06-05-2013, 07:16 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

I have been debating the same issues about garage floor coverings. The condition of the concrete is important.

Since I have a 27 year old concrete floor, which has some old settlement cracks and rough spots, I was thinking about just hiding the defects with tiles, either race deck or a vinyl or ceramic tile.

However, I suspect that garage resurfacing professionals can refinish the concrete and do a great job making it look perfect. It is not a DIY job because of the prep.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:48 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
Tile Tile Tile! Every factory in Europe including Porsche uses tile. Take a look at your local european dealer, they all use tile even in the shop. I have porcelain tile in my garage and love it. Easy maintenance and absolutely no problems with cracking or water. If you plan to work in your garage then install in-floor heating. Having a lift is the coup de gras.
SmokinGTS, this is a gorgeous garage that you have got. What kind of lift is this? It is perfect for Porsche cars apparently.

Thanks for the ceramic tile suggestions. It is a lot of work, but I like it and have done multiple rooms with tiles, although never something as large as a garage.

Yves
Old 06-05-2013, 12:05 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Great looking garage floor SmokingGTS What's the farthest height you've ever dropped something on to the tile with out any issues ? I've always like the look but worry about dropping a hammer or something with some mass and cracking it. My father has heat in the floor and I have to say that's the only way to go, especially if you live some where you see the snow.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:58 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my garage floor myself about 4 years ago with Epoxy-Coat. It has gotten scuffed up a bit so it is not as glossy as it was in high traffic areas. And if you drag heavy objects across it, it will scratch. But no problems at all with hot tires.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
SmokinGTS, this is a gorgeous garage that you have got. What kind of lift is this? It is perfect for Porsche cars apparently.
+1 - what lift system is that? I've got enough height to raise the floor and embed a lift system, but not enough or a lift to stack cars.. so thats very interesting option (because the floor is the storage.

Quick Reply: Opinions, please about garage floor