Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about oil level measurement

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:08 PM
ufischer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that the omission of the dipstick is a major fail. Unnecessary over engineering of an age proven tool. Ironic from a company that had refused to add things like daytime running lights and other "luxuries" to "preserve the soul of a race car."
Old 05-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
I do all my own service I only take my car for warranty stuff which this one has not needed. If you put the exact required amount of oil you may overfill because all the oil may not drain. If it does show over you don't know how much. It is a flawed system any way you look at it. I have been working on high performance cars for over 60 years.
Maybe I'm just an old fart but as an engineer some things that are simple are just better. I design microcomputer controlled systems for a living. On some things these cars are just amazing but this is overkill dumb.
Uh, no. If the drain instructions are followed properly and the refill amount is correct for the particular car -- what is given in the owners manual is not always right -- putting in the exact amount of oil should have the oil level right where the factory instructions have it.

In the case of my Turbo after the proper drain is done the tech adds 7.8l and upon checking the oil level the manual calls out the level reading should be at the max line. Not one bar below. And certainly not above.

The engine should not be overfilled with oil. The system is not intended to tell you exactly how much too much oil was added only that too much oil was added.

The solution to this is to not implement a measuring system with a larger range of measuring but to find a place that can do a proper oil change.

I was old school with the dipstick but my 02 Boxster spoiled me. I can check the oil almost any time, just before the 1st start of the day or before any hot start of the day.

With my Turbo I can't check the oil level from cold -- the engine must be idling, and the engine "hot", and the car level -- but I can once the engine is warm check the level at a stop light. And I check it before turning the engine off for the last time at night.

Oh, the Turbo, thank goodness, doesn't even had a dipstick.

No need to get out of the car. No fear of getting my clothes dirty from brushing up against a dirty or even wet car. No need to search around for a paper towel dispenser for a paper towel to wipe the dipstick off with, then reinsert the thing and remove it again and squint to try to make out the level on the dipstick tip. Then do it again just to be sure. What a pain. And what a lame way of monitoring the level of a vital fluid.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:56 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
I do all my own service I only take my car for warranty stuff which this one has not needed. If you put the exact required amount of oil you may overfill because all the oil may not drain. If it does show over you don't know how much. It is a flawed system any way you look at it. I have been working on high performance cars for over 60 years.
Maybe I'm just an old fart but as an engineer some things that are simple are just better. I design microcomputer controlled systems for a living. On some things these cars are just amazing but this is overkill dumb.
yup, I feel the same way...I have a .1 and I check the oil before I start the car... cold... conversely, I have asked for a reading just after turning off the engine and get about 27 minute countdown... I would say the computer knows that there is oil everywhere but where it needs to be for a reading and compensates thusly, and measuring hot or cold it is consistent, however, I don't like the system, but I do like that it is telling me that I am not using any oil,

Last edited by kkswow12; 05-21-2013 at 12:58 PM. Reason: edition
Old 05-22-2013, 05:21 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2006 and my oil measurement count down starts at 5 minutes after a long drive and in the garage. Way too long for a silly oil measurement?

I think car companies eliminate this since it is one less part to supply and it is already being measured electronically so they just send it to the display, albeit rather arduously.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:22 PM
ufischer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
I have a 2006 and my oil measurement count down starts at 5 minutes after a long drive and in the garage.
Wow, that 75 seconds doesn't seem so bad after all!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:33 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

As a long time 911 owner, I am used to the routine of checking my oil a variety of ways depending upon the engine's oil system. With a 'real' 911 you simply parked on level ground, at operating temp, and looked at your dipstick. With a 997.1 you leave it off and use the electronic gauge. With the 997.2, you have it on level ground, at operating temp, and check it with the electronic gauge.

I believe that Porsche went with an electronic gauge so that more owners would actually, periodically, check their own oil. Today's 911 driver is nothing like the owners of the past. We would stay on top of that stuff all the time (plus when you have a dry sump that holds about 14 quarts of oil, it's not so critical to be down a quart). Today's 911 driver's don't want to get their fingers dirty.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:43 AM
fjasione997
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats the thing. When doing your own oil changes, you are putting in cold oil, so (even though most DIYs dont have an oil gun) you must warm then engine up and than add accordingly. I have never got it on the first try, even letting the oil drain for a while. I think that is what the earlier poster meant by trial and error.
2007 997.1
Old 05-23-2013, 03:16 PM
cyberay
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

On a 997.2 the countdown starts every time the car comes to a stop and the engine is running. If you immediately call up the measuring page it will show a high number for elapsed time. If you wait before calling up the page, the elapsed time remaining will be less. I believe it counts down to around the 5 second mark if you don't pull up the page at all, and then when you do, it completes the countdown and displays the level.

Quick Reply: Question about oil level measurement