Fiber Optic Cable removal/Dension install

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 02:36 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Fiber Optic Cable removal/Dension install

Hi all,

I'm trying to install a Dension 500S. I got to the point of removing the fiber optic connector from the back of the PCM. I then removed the little blue thingy that holds the cables in place in the connector. I thought I would be able to just pull the cable out of the connector at that point, but it did not come out. I didn't want to break anything so I stopped.

1. Other than the blue thing, is there a release mechanism of some sort on the connector?

Related questions:

2. I don't have a CD changer or Nav or Phone (but I do have the nav/phone buttons) - will I need programming to make the car recognize the Dension?
3. I plan to put the Dension behind the PCM, will I have to splice into a power source there? I have read over a DIY and other posts on the forum which indicate there may be a free cable in the back with always-on power but I haven't looked for that cable specifically yet.

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated - this is the first time for me ever doing anything electronic in a car other than replacing speakers.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

I don't think you want always on power but switched power. I put line in the trunk next to the cd changer since everything was right there. I didn't run the cable but instead us my old iPhone as a dedicated iPod in the trunk.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:23 PM
iammulva
Racer

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I don't think you want always on power but switched power.
The posts I read said always-on because
1. There is a delay upon startup before the Dension unit gets "woken up"
2. The Dension's settings are lost when you shut the car off
3. Both

Of course, I could be misunderstanding what I've read too (i.e. posts could have been referring to older Dension units). Do you have either of the problems I listed above?

I put line in the trunk next to the cd changer since everything was right there. I didn't run the cable but instead us my old iPhone as a dedicated iPod in the trunk.
I plan on using the bluetooth phone function and expect that I'll have to install the Dension's microphone (based on feedback from Eric at BumperPlugs). If I do that I assume that I'd want the Dension unit closer to where the mic is gonna be.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

I tapped into the power of the cd changer. I just followed the directions I for from Eric.
I would think that with a non switched power source you would drain the battery.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:33 PM
iammulva
Racer

I tapped into the power of the cd changer
If I don't have a CD changer I should still have the power source right? And that is in the frunk and not behind the PCM?

I would think that with a non switched power source you would drain the battery.
That thought crossed my mind too.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Didn't it come with instructions? Mine came with several instal option diagrams. If you don't have the changer, I think you need to tap into the fiber circuit up near the brake reservoir in the trunk. There's lots if places to get power I'm guessing. I just got it from the changer because I was also running the fiber loop there.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:46 PM
iammulva
Racer

It came with instructions, but my two biggest issues are not specifically addressed in the instructions (can't get the cable out of the connector that I pulled out of PCM and don't know where to get power from).
Old 05-08-2013, 04:06 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

I don't know a out on the back of the PCM but the fiber connectors have a little squeeze latch on the top that you have to depress. The It should basically slide right out.

Can you tap into the power for the PCM?

Did you buy from eric at bumperugs? He's pretty helpful.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:20 PM
iammulva
Racer

I did - I will give him a try.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:35 PM
Rhody
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

iammulva... i did the Dension 500S install a few months ago. I seem to recall a similar issue on some of the connections. After taking out the little blue 'clip', the optic line still didn't come out. After staring at the little connector i saw there was a little 'clasp' holding it in. I used a tiny screw driver to pry the clasp away and then the optic line came right out. It's the type of clasp that's one way.... when pushing the optic line in... it snaps in to place, but it needs to be pried open.

Let me know if that works, or if you have any other questions.

I bought mine from Eric at Bumper Plugs... he was great, but there were still lots of unanswered questions and discovery that i did.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:39 PM
iammulva
Racer

Thanks Rhody!! That's exactly what I needed.

Quick Reply: Fiber Optic Cable removal/Dension install