08 997 cab needs door painted

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 AM
gregikh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 997 cab needs door painted

Hi everyone,

I bought a 08 997 cab a few weeks ago. It's triple black with just under 12k miles. The car is super clean and so was the carfax. When buying it I noticed that the passenger door was a bit dull and noticed some dried liquid streaks on it. When I took it in for a ppi, the dealer noticed the same thing. I was sure that I would be able to buff this stuff out and restore the paint.

I was detailing the car this weekend and when the sun angle was just right, I noticed that the entire door is a different color. It's not as deep a black as the rest of the car. I didn't notice any kind of deformity on the door, it doesn't look like it was damaged in any way. I checked everything including measuring the gaps and they look absolutely perfect. I don't think the car was in an accident, but the door was clearly repainted. The job was done so poorly that it looks like the previous owner did it himself because there's paint streaks.

Anyway, the color is not noticeable at all unless the sun angle is just right.

I was wondering if you guys can give me some advice? What should I do? Should I have it repainted again? Would the color match exactly to the rest of the car if its repainted? Does anyone know if a reputable, reasonably priced body shop in the Brooklyn, NY area.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:55 AM
socalgt3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately I have come to find that Carfax really is not that helpful in general when it comes to prior accident history. If the repaint is isolated to the door and not the adjacent panels, it may have been repainted due to minor damages, but it was just done poorly. I think it depends on how how much this problem bothers you. I am sure any competent shop should be able to repaint it and match the color more accurately for you. Did you buy the car from a dealer or private party?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Check in with Matt at Detailing Dynamics in Mineola. Also get a paint meter check on it to see what you have.

A pro can fix this and you should be good to go, but you'll want to have them get down to bare material first since some bozo did a shoddy job.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 05-07-2013, 11:32 AM
gregikh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Socalgt3, I bought it from an Audi dealership. It is isolated to just the passenger door that's it.

Thank Eric.

Quick Reply: 08 997 cab needs door painted