Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tales from the smog station

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013 | 03:25 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Default Tales from the smog station

Well, its been 2 yrs already and for us drivers in the nutty state of California that means a trip to the smog station. About 3/4 of the way through the 30 minute test the smog computer goes on overheat mode and shuts down. The technician proceeds to load chilled water and Gatorade from the refrigerator in the mini mart around the unit, blow air from a shop fan around this contraption, but alas still no success. Two hrs of a work day and probably $5 bucks worth of gas (b/c they leave the engine running almost the whole time) wasted. I have to go back net week.

I think at these places when you pull up in a 911, the guys look you over to see what kind of an a**hole you are or aren't. They always start with the standard joke 'we have to take your car on a 0-120 mph test as part of the test'. The tech and I ended up having a good chat.

He has been doing this for a long time I think. He said next yr the machines will be completely different, shoebox size and plug in only to the OBD eg no nozzles in the exhaust tips. They will look for and be able to tell any aberration from the vehicle parameters such as chips, aftermarket injectors etc. He says he sees smart aftermarket tuners bringing their customer's cars in trying to figure out how to get around the systems and it sounds like it is becoming more and more difficult to do. FYI
Jim

Quick Reply: Tales from the smog station