ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

This:

Old 04-26-2013, 11:51 AM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Elusive - I've got that exact setup at home, but I wear it on my riding lawn mower.

Additional, first DE question....

It looks like it will rain tomorrow and Sunday. I assume windows will have to be down still. What, if anything, can you do to minimize/offset the rain coming into your car when that happens?
Old 04-26-2013, 12:02 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by iammulva
It looks like it will rain tomorrow and Sunday. I assume windows will have to be down still.
Some groups use turn signals for point by's if the rain is heavy.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:06 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by iammulva
Elusive - I've got that exact setup at home, but I wear it on my riding lawn mower.

Additional, first DE question....

It looks like it will rain tomorrow and Sunday. I assume windows will have to be down still. What, if anything, can you do to minimize/offset the rain coming into your car when that happens?
You will be surprised just how little rain gets into the car. I have seen some people put blue painters tape on the top part of their door to protect it.

As far as shoes, while it won't matter for a first DE, as others have pointed out, running shoes are not the greatest for driving. You want a shoe with a thin sole, and one that is close fitting to your foot width-wise. You don't want a sole that extends very far from the sides of your foot.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:50 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Granted I've only done two DEs so far, but everyone pretty much shows up in full race gear. Fire suits, gloves, racing shoes, HANS device... the works.

I'm kidding. 90% of the people there are in long sleeve t-shirts and jeans. Converse sneakers (or similar) are totally fine. Some have driving shoes... most do not. The higher level you are, the faster you go. The faster you go, the more dangerous it gets. The more dangerous it gets, the more protective gear you'll probably want. In the Novice group, you'll have no worries in jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt. My instructor from my last DE was wearing jeans and a button down shirt!

I've been told to avoid fleece jackets. Apparently when fleece is on fire, it melts directly to your skin. That would suck.

Also: Bring a hat and a folding chair. There's a lot of down time.
What he said...

Now, in order of preference, our local club has asked the following in progression of groups (skills, speed):

1. Helmet
2. Cotton clothing, long sleeves, no shorts, thin sole shoes
3. Fire retardant balaclava, fire retardant gloves
4. Full racing suit, shoes, gloves

Helmet is obviously mandatory, and #2 is recommended for all groups. #3 is mandated after you become an intermediate, and #4 is for the Race group.

I think at minimum just wear cotton clothes, a nice thin sole driving shoes, and if you plan to use your helmet a lot, balaclava is great, it takes most of the sweat away, and helps keeping your helmet fresh, in addition to protecting your face in case of an unfortunate fire (never seen in 7 yrs).
Old 04-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Mojo31
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget to pack plenty of beer.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:07 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of funny comments here, I laughed but not LOL.

Keep it simple & comfortable, you already have everything you need in your wardrobe.

Some drivers claim they bring extra pairs of underwear in case of scary moments.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:47 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it depends who its with.

If its with the wine and cheese crowd (Porsche Club) you wear something from the Porsche Design catalog and some expensive "driving" shoes. Don't forget your cooler with a gourmet panini and chilled latte.

If its with the SCCA or NASA riff raff who drive all manner of sports car, yes even Japanese cars, you can wear a pair of jeans that have at least one oil stain per leg, a concert T-shirt from 80's (as long as its not RUSH) and be sure to arrive with at least two days of stuble...extra laps awarded if its a goatee.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
it depends who its with.

If its with the wine and cheese crowd (Porsche Club) you wear something from the Porsche Design catalog and some expensive "driving" shoes. Don't forget your cooler with a gourmet panini and chilled latte.

If its with the SCCA or NASA riff raff who drive all manner of sports car, yes even Japanese cars, you can wear a pair of jeans that have at least one oil stain per leg, a concert T-shirt from 80's (as long as its not RUSH) and be sure to arrive with at least two days of stuble...extra laps awarded if its a goatee.
ROFL, soooo true

Quick Reply: What to wear to first track day.