Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First trip to the dealer--just venting

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:20 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I suggest that you either now, or the very next time it happens, take a picture of the dash display before you restart. Then, when you restart (and assuming it goes away), take another picture. Then you send both pictures with the problem description in writing to PCNA and cc your dealer. This will establish that you have some problem that, to borrow from our legal system, is "capable of repetition yet evading review".
Well, that's good advice and I may do that. The problem is now in the permanent record as far as the maintenance history is concerned but it's not a bad idea to start being a squeaky wheel if it keeps up.

I've got a year and a half of CPO and 71k miles left.

The fact that a restart immediately clears the fault and that the car drives perfectly fine solidifies my theory that the problem is an electrical gremlin--perhaps in the ignition or gear selector switch(es). It has never occurred while driving.

As for which dealer it is, I will leave some amount of ambiguity out there just in case they're lurking and looking for reasons to deny MORE repairs.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:35 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Iceter
The problem is now in the permanent record as far as the maintenance history is concerned but it's not a bad idea to start being a squeaky wheel if it keeps up.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but I disagree because I believe your service record probably includes something like this:

"Customer states dash light lights up. Response: could not duplicate at this time."

In effect, that can be interpreted as "he complained about something happening so something must have happened" OR it can be read as "we have confirmed that his car is fine - no evidence whatsoever that anything happened".

I've gotten in this spot before and so a little extra documentation won't hurt because your letter plus picture (within the warranty period) is better proof, in my opinion, than your initial trip to the dealer by itself.

I've got a year and a half of CPO and 71k miles left.
Kids growing up, aging after turning 30, and auto warranty periods are proven to be the shortest durations known to man. Fact.

The fact that a restart immediately clears the fault and that the car drives perfectly fine solidifies my theory that the problem is an electrical gremlin--perhaps in the ignition or gear selector switch(es). It has never occurred while driving.
You may be right, but if you let this pass and it happens again outside of warranty, you will find that the electrical gremlin is in a part that is made of platinum and dealer wants $39,453 for it (plus installation).

Ok - done preaching.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts
Default Agreed

True, true and true. Time to film some of this next time it happens.

Thanks, Iceter.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

+997 on filming. Use the video recorder on your smart phone. The whole thing sounds like a 20 second video. Email it to the service manager and the general manager next time it happens and tell them it occurred again and what would their suggestion be as it fixes itself as they can clearly see.

Thank God for my dealership. Pcar loaners and great service
Old 04-25-2013, 09:33 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasper1
I don't know if its Leith or Performance, but I've had a satisfactory experience with Leith on my '06 CPO.
Same here. I have been dealing with Leith dealerships for 25+ years and had good experiences. I will have to say that if the service tech can't duplicate a problem described by the owner, it is difficult to fix.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:39 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Time for my first oil change so I took it in to my local dealer to have it done, plus I'd been making a list of niggling little problems that had been annoying me and left that with them to see what they could do.

Only one P-car dealer in my area so I have no choice if I want Porsche to work on the car. If there is one lesson from all this it is that competition is a good thing.
I guess the term "area" is relative, but there are two Porsche dealerships within 25 miles of Raleigh, Leith in Cary and Performance in Chapel Hill.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:03 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasper1
I don't know if its Leith or Performance, but I've had a satisfactory experience with Leith on my '06 CPO.
You live near Regency? Seen me around? Think I saw you earlier this week.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: First trip to the dealer--just venting