Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate my Pirelli P Zeroes

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013 | 04:09 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Default I hate my Pirelli P Zeroes

I've got the Pirelli PZeroes on both my 911 and my Panamera S. They are brand new tires on the 911 (800 miles), and have about 7500 miles on the Panamera. On the 911 they are very loud and I think they need rebalancing already. On the Panamera I can't seem to get them to hook up! If I'm turning right from a stop, I'm spinning that inside tire. If I'm going straight and nail the throttle with cold tires, they spin, spin, spin. I know they're summer tires, and they do pretty good in the wet, but in cold dry conditions they are just lousy. Or so it seems to me. They are wearing evenly though.

Is it just me? Because I'm starting to rationalize tossing them in the trash from the Panamera and getting some Michelins. But it will cost me about two grand, and that hurts!

I wonder if I could sell the ones off of the 997? Think anyone would be interested at 50% of retail?
Old 04-23-2013 | 04:23 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

I have them on my 991 and they need to be replaced now. I wanted to go with the Michelin PSS but they're extremely backordered on the fronts in the stock 991 20" size.

That said, I think the PZero is a fine overall tire, I've just been convinced via research the PSS is that much better.

My first DE in the 991 was on a wet 45F track a few hours after a North Texas hailstorm! Yes, they were quite sketchy and scary at first, but after the first few laps at speed they came up to temps pretty quickly. Granted those were in track driving conditions...
Old 04-23-2013 | 05:30 PM
fwheelerjr
Cruisin'

Mine have 5k miles and are really noisy unless the road is smooth. I thought it was me?
Old 04-23-2013 | 06:08 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

If somebody is tossing away P Zeros, I'll take them. ;-)

I have P Zeros on an '11 C2.
If ambient temperature is below about 12-15C, they struggle to hook up. I was an autocross 2 weeks ago - it only got up to 5C. Very greasy day! But once things warm up, they are a super tire, with good adhesion, gradual release and great predicatability.
Old 04-23-2013 | 06:31 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

I'm sure with that few miles on them they would have resale value. Many switch to Michelin when the Pirellis are worn out. I have flogged the Pirelli through the mountains of Germany and I found them to be quite predictable. I had no issue with adhesion. Of course, it was warm when I was over there, too. Wet grip is very good with them.
Old 04-23-2013 | 08:46 PM
deijmaster
Advanced

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Is it just me? Because I'm starting to rationalize tossing them in the trash from the Panamera and getting some Michelins. But it will cost me about two grand, and that hurts!
Ripped mine off and got Michelins PSS1, best money spent on my Pcar!
Old 04-23-2013 | 09:04 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

From: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone

fwiw: I have never heard many good things about Pirelli.....
and I have been on Micelins for over three years on most of my cars.....
good luck
Old 04-23-2013 | 09:20 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

PZero Rosso, or PZero? Rosso is the older one, OEM on 997.1 and overall not very great and loud, the Pzero however is actually pretty good, it's newer, OEM on 991, and OEM on R8 and I've tracked it and it was pretty amazing actually, a bit better than PS2.

So, I am not sure what the issue is, they don't get as much love as MPSS, and I think since MPSS is newer it is a superior tire but it doesn't means PZero is crap... I am not sure if it's worth the cost of replacement but it's your money. Ensure they have the right tire pressure and that your alignment is not off.

EDIT: I saw you're complaining about those in cold weather... well, that's your answer, it's a summer tire, and they never work well in cold, I take mine off in November till March where I live and put Winters on. This winter has been quite a bit colder and I am still on winter tires, will take them off next week.

PS. If you're inclined to donate them, I will take em!
Old 04-23-2013 | 11:38 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

As Alex asked, which P-Zero are you running? I've got P-Zero Corsas and absolutely love them. Of course they do have a 60 treadwear rating but that goes along with the incredible stickiness.
Old 04-23-2013 | 11:58 PM
wc11
Race Car

I don't get the noise complaints when most are running the motor at 3-4000 rpm.
And then even less if you have any type of sport exhaust. As for spinning in cold weather, what else? There's no grip at all below about 10 degrees.
Old 04-24-2013 | 12:47 AM
BobDyl
Advanced

Also hated the noisy, uncomfortable PZeros - got rid of them after only 4K miles. Got the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and never looked back. They are quieter, more comfortable, better in the wet, and handle the same or better in the dry. You will not regret the switch.
Old 04-24-2013 | 12:51 AM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Originally Posted by Smitten
I have P Zeros on an '11 C2.
If ambient temperature is below about 12-15C, they struggle to hook up. I was an autocross 2 weeks ago - it only got up to 5C. Very greasy day! But once things warm up, they are a super tire, with good adhesion, gradual release and great predicatability.
Totally agree. I don't get all the hate for these tires. I wanted to sample the PSS but can't due to the backorder situation, but I'm not upset at all that I just had to order another set other than the fact they're about $400 more expensive!
Old 04-24-2013 | 12:53 AM
acao
Racer

In general, Pirelli's are very lightweight tires that perform very well. But, they're noisy and uncomfortable as heck, especially as they wear.

If that's not for you, Yokohamas tend toward being more comfortable in noise and ride, but often also have soft sidewalls. Dunlops too, perhaps with firmer sidewalls.

Michelins and Bridgestones do a good job of striking a balance between performance and ride quality.

This is not scientific, but simply anecdotal from my data set of 1.
Old 04-24-2013 | 01:19 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Have had a couple sets of PS2's. PSS to be installed this week. More tire. Less money. What is not to like?

Thanks to Damon and Tire Rack for a smooth deal. If you hate your tires and are ready to make a change, Tire Rack is ready when you are.
Old 04-24-2013 | 01:27 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Ditch those tires and never look back. Get yourself a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports, these can't be beat for all around performance.

Quick Reply: I hate my Pirelli P Zeroes