Sponsored by:

997 C2S as a DD/DE car

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 06:14 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chakka
For those of you who do both DD and track, i'd appreciate some input on what you've needed to do make it good for both without going to an extreme. I know all too well the slippery slope that can occur.....

My track days would be around 20 per year max, I drive in Red/Black with PCA and am an instructor, so I do have track experience. Example is my previous car, a 93' RSA had bilstein cup suspension, 650/800lb springs and lowered. Everything else in the suspension was stock. Great on the track and okay on the street, but not something i'd want to drive daily...
997 series are not so far from 993 so same applies. stock 997 'S' or base car will have to get a lot of $ and new suspension to behave well on track. see in my signature what was done.
it is overall much cheaper to start with 997.1 RS car, get one for low $80k or so and do not spend too much time with street 'S'.

unless you want to go full race car - then you can find a koni car or properly built 997.1 car with a cage and M96/M97 motor but overall it is more problematic than to deal with GT3 or RS car.

if you will go with 997.2 car then it will be easier motor wise as its engine is less problematic than M97/M96 from 997.1 but suspension still has to be rebuilt.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:18 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chakka

Given it's not a GT3 high use track motor, have there been any motor related issues of note to be on the lookout for in my searching to ask about? My thought would be to look for a 2009 since it has direct injection with some of the mod's and/or safety upgrades mentioned.
new 9a1 motors do not seem to require same level of work M96 needed. a lot of new race cars use engines taken off GTS cars and they seem to run fine.
Technically speaking if you will find 997.2 GTS car with 6sp tranny and 6 lugs (no centerlocks) then all it needs is to put on GT3 LCAs and GT3 upper mounts and it will be almost track ready.

still 997.1 RS will be faster and 997.2 RS will be way faster. you will eventually want widebody RS car with proper Metzger engine, so, I would advice to go with it to begin with until you got buried into street car rebuilds.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:38 PM
Dkt997
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought an 06 Carrera 4, six speed w/sport shift six speed and sport exhaust, 19" wheels. What minor upgrades would you recommend for doing two or three track days a year? Have a fair amount of track experience with Skip Barbers Formula cars at all the major tracks in the US and my SCCA license
Old 02-11-2014, 10:22 PM
Lance-AR
Instructor

WEVO semi-solid engine mounts. Center radiator?
Old 02-12-2014, 11:09 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkt997
Just bought an 06 Carrera 4, six speed w/sport shift six speed and sport exhaust, 19" wheels. What minor upgrades would you recommend for doing two or three track days a year? Have a fair amount of track experience with Skip Barbers Formula cars at all the major tracks in the US and my SCCA license
if you're only doing a couple a year, i would simply swap out brake pads (for pagid or similar) and fluid. and if you have extra cash, maybe a cheap 2nd set of wheels (lobster forks?) with some stickier tires.

even with your experience, IMO it's not really worth the hassle or the $ to go nuts on the upgrades for only a few sessions a year. the car is pretty capable as is...
Old 02-12-2014, 12:29 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
997 series are not so far from 993 so same applies. stock 997 'S' or base car will have to get a lot of $ and new suspension to behave well on track. see in my signature what was done.
it is overall much cheaper to start with 997.1 RS car, get one for low $80k or so and do not spend too much time with street 'S'.

unless you want to go full race car - then you can find a koni car or properly built 997.1 car with a cage and M96/M97 motor but overall it is more problematic than to deal with GT3 or RS car.

if you will go with 997.2 car then it will be easier motor wise as its engine is less problematic than M97/M96 from 997.1 but suspension still has to be rebuilt.
I agree though, I also add start with a GT3 doesn't have to be an RS. Going with any m96/m97 have a spare ready. m97 are still being made so they are less expensive now compared to the m96 but even so, not something I would to sink money in to. Some koni cars replace engines after so many hours and they get replaced or rebuilt. Usually people who run them don't worry about money so it's not an issue but if your on a budget I'd stay away.

Originally Posted by utkinpol
new 9a1 motors do not seem to require same level of work M96 needed. a lot of new race cars use engines taken off GTS cars and they seem to run fine.
Technically speaking if you will find 997.2 GTS car with 6sp tranny and 6 lugs (no centerlocks) then all it needs is to put on GT3 LCAs and GT3 upper mounts and it will be almost track ready.

still 997.1 RS will be faster and 997.2 RS will be way faster. you will eventually want widebody RS car with proper Metzger engine, so, I would advice to go with it to begin with until you got buried into street car rebuilds.
Those engines are being raced by a few though don't think it's been very long. Many of them also fall into the koni car type person or group that do this and won't blink if they need to drop a new engine in for a race and so we won't hear about any problems. You find many will just sell their old engine after a time before it's broken and still worth some coin and put a fresh one in.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:03 PM
uffrank
Intermediate

I am considering doing some DE events this year, but I have purchased a Cab. Is a rollbar required for DE or Autocross events in a Cab? I know a helmet is required, but what else?
Old 02-14-2014, 05:29 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by uffrank
I am considering doing some DE events this year, but I have purchased a Cab. Is a rollbar required for DE or Autocross events in a Cab? I know a helmet is required, but what else?
Some tracks require cab roll bars but many don't. Prob best to check just in case. Other than that, also best to check with the club that is hosting the DE or autox. They shd have plenty of info re: what is req'd.

Quick Reply: 997 C2S as a DD/DE car