Sponsored by:

My first DIY maintenance on my 911

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Bigbwb
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My first DIY maintenance on my 911

Well I just completed my first few maintenance items on my recently purchased 2006 CS with 38k. I changed the oil using mobile 1 0w-40 and the pelican parts filter kit and LN engineering magnetic drain plug. Went very smooth! Only issue, apparently the new LN plug is now 8mm hex and not 10mm as it supposedly used to be. Luckily I had both sockets. I only hand tightened the filter housing hopefully that will be sufficient.

I changed the cabin filter with the oem one from pelican as well.

Next up, the air filter and serpentine belt. I ironically grew up with a friend/neighbor who is now a Porsche mechanic at my local dealer. I drove it just down the block and he swapped out the old for the new belt and filter in all of 20min! How lucky am I. If I have any other more involved maintenance requirements such as brakes, new tires, plugs/coils, etc, he can do it all!

All in all, I feel comfortable knowing everything has been changed and done to my expectations. I just don't trust the dealers and whether or not this was done before the purchase.

Surprising the basics are easy to do. I will continue to do all of it myself or with the help of my buddy.

The DIY threads on these sites are very friendly as well.

Thanks,
B
Old 04-17-2013, 03:00 AM
MishaDesigns
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbwb
I ironically grew up with a friend/neighbor who is now a Porsche mechanic at my local dealer. I drove it just down the block and he swapped out the old for the new belt and filter in all of 20min! How lucky am I.
Very.

It's awesome to do your own work; it even more awesome to have a friend who can pitch in if you get stuck on something.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:33 AM
door2416
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The first time I changed the oil I too just hand tightened the housing and it leaked after a couple days. You may want to recheck it and watch for a drop of oil on the floor. You may be surprised by how easy some of the other maintenance items are on this car. The brakes are a piece of cake and so is the belt. I'll be doing the plugs and coils in a couple of weeks and I am looking forward to the challenge.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:40 AM
MDClint
Track Day

Well I just completed my first few maintenance items on my recently purchased 2006 CS with 38k. I changed the oil using mobile 1 0w-40 and the pelican parts filter kit and LN engineering magnetic drain plug. Went very smooth! Only issue, apparently the new LN plug is now 8mm hex and not 10mm as it supposedly used to be. Luckily I had both sockets. I only hand tightened the filter housing hopefully that will be sufficient.

I changed the cabin filter with the oem one from pelican as well.

Next up, the air filter and serpentine belt. I ironically grew up with a friend/neighbor who is now a Porsche mechanic at my local dealer. I drove it just down the block and he swapped out the old for the new belt and filter in all of 20min! How lucky am I. If I have any other more involved maintenance requirements such as brakes, new tires, plugs/coils, etc, he can do it all!

All in all, I feel comfortable knowing everything has been changed and done to my expectations. I just don't trust the dealers and whether or not this was done before the purchase.

Surprising the basics are easy to do. I will continue to do all of it myself or with the help of my buddy.

Thanks,
B
+1. The DIYs on here have been invaluable. So far I’ve replaced the front rotors, oil/filter change, engine air filter, and the serpentine belt. Next up is a trans-axel fluid change and a brake fluid flush. I’ll probably do that this weekend. Everything has been extremely easy so far thanks to the DIY’s. They really let you prepare yourself for the task. Instead of learning stuff the hard way. lol
Old 04-17-2013, 11:29 AM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't tell you how grateful I am to have the collective DIY wisdom for maintenance. Having step by step instructions even for things you already have an idea about is SO helpful.

<--- to those who take the time to document the DIY procdures

<---- to those who chime in quickly with responses to questions/issues for those of us attempting to do our own maintenance

THANKS PEOPLE!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's always good and saves you a lot of money if you can DIY. I'm up for a 20K miles service and with that I need an oil/filter, cabin, and air filter changed. Total is close to $600. I changed the air and cabin filter's myself and let the dealer changed my oil/filter. Save me $450 that I can use for mods.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MDClint
Next up is a trans-axel fluid change and a brake fluid flush. I’ll probably do that this weekend.
have a vomit bag at the ready. that stuff REEKS. i did mine a couple months ago.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:09 PM
MDClint
Track Day

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
have a vomit bag at the ready. that stuff REEKS. i did mine a couple months ago.
LOL, thanks for the heads up. They didn't cover THAT in the DIY. Hopefully there will be a nice breeze blowing....
Old 04-17-2013, 04:44 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by door2416
The first time I changed the oil I too just hand tightened the housing and it leaked after a couple days. You may want to recheck it and watch for a drop of oil on the floor. You may be surprised by how easy some of the other maintenance items are on this car. The brakes are a piece of cake and so is the belt. I'll be doing the plugs and coils in a couple of weeks and I am looking forward to the challenge.
+1... also make sure it's tighten to 19 ft-lb.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Bigbwb
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys for the feedback! I will double check the tightness of the filter housing.

The next maintenance will probably be the plugs/coils (maybe).. I know Porsche recommends brake flushes every 2 years. I have no idea if this has been done, any clues on how to check? How important is this?
Old 04-18-2013, 07:29 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MDClint
LOL, thanks for the heads up. They didn't cover THAT in the DIY. Hopefully there will be a nice breeze blowing....
It's not that bad.....we kind of like it actually
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-19-2013, 07:55 AM
MDClint
Track Day

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
It's not that bad.....we kind of like it actually
Ha, yeah there is truely no mistaking the smell of gear oil...

Thank you all for your extensive DIYs as well. A ton of helpful info there.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:46 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

....especially when it finds its way to your clothes.

You're welcome! Working away on new articles all the time - have a great weekend!
Old 04-20-2013, 06:55 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm getting ready to do my first DIY on my 911

Got my pile of Pelican parts for both my BMW and Porsche
then I got the Jackpoint jackstands with parts for the BMW and Porsche

I figured I would practice on the BMW

Changed Oil, oil filter, cabin air filter, engine filter and changed to summer tires

OK, now I'm ready to try to work on the 911.
Attached Images   
Old 04-22-2013, 01:05 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Nice work eflight! ....and great pics! Follow-up on your 911 DIY project with some pics as well

Quick Reply: My first DIY maintenance on my 911