Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug & coil change followup

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 06:15 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry too hear about that coil failure but, looking good and thank you for the follow up. 2 hours is good time
Old 05-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by dbv1
A followup on the followup: one of the new coils failed after about 100 km on a hot day when the car had heated up fully. I'm thinking it must be a fluke, seller sent me a replacement but I used one of my old coils in the interim. First symptoms of that coil failing was a very slight hesitation under acceleration once the car warmed up. Not 20 km after I replaced that first failed coil I'm getting that slight hesitation again. Another coils was going to go. Now I know it's not a fluke. Ordered a new set from Pelican and installed them. It's all good now. One the bright side, it now takes me less than 2 hours to change the coils, I got better.

3 lessons learned from project:
1.) Get quality parts.
2.) Change plugs every 40K.
3.) Change coils at the same time. My car was kept very well (garage, no salt ever) and the coils were starting to crack up anyway.
The coils didn't fail. They were 1) damaged during installation, helped by their lack of quality; 2) band-aided with dielectric grease.

100km drive. Hot day. The band-aid melted. So to speak.

But really the odds are the coils would have failed anyway. That hard plastic would have come apart from the vibration and heat up cool down cycles in not many more miles.

So (1) above is where it belongs: at the top of the list.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:18 AM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 80 Posts

That's harsh. You should read the thread again. The plastic mouth around the connector cracked. That just can't cause the coil to fail, especially since it has seen no water since the installation. But in short: yes, those coils were crap.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:46 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Glad to hear you're back up and running smoothly! Let us know if any future questions too!
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Quick Reply: Spark plug & coil change followup