Sponsored by:

My 05 997S smoke pouring out the exhaust, advise needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 05:37 PM
hwjunkie
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 05 997S smoke pouring out the exhaust, advise needed

I decided to sell my 05 997S Tiptronic with 39k miles to pay for my new winery. I had a buyer that was long distance, he wanted me to get a PPI so he scheduled me to bring it in to a place. The rear tires were bad so I had it towed in, after it arrived, apparently the tow truck driver said it was smoking and so I called they told me it was smoking and the CEL was on. I don't drive the car much at all but I pull out of the garage and back in daily to do work, I also pulled it out that morning and there was no smoke, no sign of any problem whatsoever, now instead of having the car sold, I have a car with a big engine problem. The shop is telling me the oil is cloudy and there is probably coolant in it and when the spark plug was removed, oil came out. They are saying they need to pull the engine and open it up to know what's wrong with it. They are not a Porsche shop, so I'm thinking it's probably best to take it to the Porsche dealer to at least get a second opinion, because right off the bat they told me it could be the oil separator and it would be much less than opening up the engine...

Does anyone have any advice or opinions? I would greatly appreciate it because this is the craziest thing that has ever happened to me with a car...

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:32 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

I don't have technical advice, but I'd definitely get a second EXPERT opinion.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:32 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Take iot to a dealer. AOS are suspect especially in a early .1 car....
Old 04-13-2013, 06:44 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Is the smoke coming out of both sides of the exhaust or isolated to the driver side?
Old 04-13-2013, 06:52 PM
hwjunkie
AutoX

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Is the smoke coming out of both sides of the exhaust or isolated to the driver side?
I wasn't there when they brought it in but I do believe they said it was coming from one side
Old 04-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hwjunkie
I decided to sell my 05 997S Tiptronic with 39k miles to pay for my new winery. I had a buyer that was long distance, he wanted me to get a PPI so he scheduled me to bring it in to a place. The rear tires were bad so I had it towed in, after it arrived, apparently the tow truck driver said it was smoking and so I called they told me it was smoking and the CEL was on. I don't drive the car much at all but I pull out of the garage and back in daily to do work, I also pulled it out that morning and there was no smoke, no sign of any problem whatsoever, now instead of having the car sold, I have a car with a big engine problem. The shop is telling me the oil is cloudy and there is probably coolant in it and when the spark plug was removed, oil came out. They are saying they need to pull the engine and open it up to know what's wrong with it. They are not a Porsche shop, so I'm thinking it's probably best to take it to the Porsche dealer to at least get a second opinion, because right off the bat they told me it could be the oil separator and it would be much less than opening up the engine...

Does anyone have any advice or opinions? I would greatly appreciate it because this is the craziest thing that has ever happened to me with a car...

Thanks!
mine (white) smokes from both pipes only after being driven hard at DE's. no other smoking whatsoever any other time. probably AOS but i am not worried about it.

re: the item above in bold - i know the spark plug tube o-rings can leak. i dont know if this also causes smoking but could be the source of the issue observed. i'm not sure what is involved with replacing them.

i would get a dealer opinon but would def take it to a REPUTABLE porsche indy for 2nd opinion, etc.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:29 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Smoke out of both sets of pipes is typically related to AOS. Smoke out of the driver side exhaust pipes and associated wet plugs on the passenger side (bank 2) may be an indicator of a scored cylinder... due to cooling issues with bank #2. +1 on getting a 2nd opinion from reputable Indy and/or p-dealer. Have them bore scope the cylinder which the wet plug came out off... GL and let us know the outcome.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:31 PM
hwjunkie
AutoX

It was the AOS and it's fixed. Thanks to everyone for their help!
Old 04-18-2013, 01:03 PM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can someone tell me what AOS is? Thanks
Old 04-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Air Oil Seperator

Mine wanted to do a $6,000 head job(no jokes) for a leaky plate gasket that cost $250 to fix...
Old 04-18-2013, 02:14 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chaos
Air Oil Seperator

Mine wanted to do a $6,000 head job(no jokes) for a leaky plate gasket that cost $250 to fix...
It's not just Porsche... our Toyota dealer asked $3K to replace my son's ABS module. We DIY the project instead using a used module from a wrecked truck. It costed us $120 for the part and 20 minutes to remove 3-4 bolts. Still working well a year later.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:29 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hwjunkie
It was the AOS and it's fixed. Thanks to everyone for their help!
I'm new to this car so I assume the AOS is something that gets replaced rather than serviced/repaired. Is that the case? Also, how much did it cost, if you don't mind telling us?

Thanks
Old 04-18-2013, 03:36 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Here's a write up if you want to tackle it. Replacement part. http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._Separator.htm
Old 04-18-2013, 03:55 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Here's a write up if you want to tackle it. Replacement part. http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti..._Separator.htm
That's awesome - thanks. Fortunately I don't need to do it, but good to know instructions exist and doesn't look too hard. I still am curious how much dealer charged so if the time comes I can make an informed dealer-or-DIY decision. I prefer to DIY, but if time/convenience is an issue I would go to dealer (or more likely an independent).
Old 04-18-2013, 05:22 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm trying remember but I think the standard P-dealer time to replace the AOS is 6 or 8 hours labor on a 997.

Quick Reply: My 05 997S smoke pouring out the exhaust, advise needed