997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And now ... the Rest of the Story!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013 | 12:20 AM
Vegasguy
Intermediate

Default And now ... the Rest of the Story!

As I posted earlier, a month ago I bought a CPO’d 2012 Carrera from the local dealer. Anthracite Brown/Luxor Beige, PDK, 20” wheels, Bose, and a few other options. I was blissfully enjoying my “new” Carrera. That is, until I saw a Boxster in Amaranth Red Metallic. It was love at first sight! (Not the Boxster, the color!). I knew right then that while I liked the Anthracite Brown, my Carrera had to be in that color. So after finally getting enough courage to ask the Mrs. (I had just bought the 2012 a month ago), I “pre-traded” and ordered a 2014 Carrera. However, in order to get the best possible deal, and take the least monetary “hit,” I had to give them my 2012 now, and patiently wait for the 2014 delivery in late July, early August (hopefully!). Here are my specs (base Carrera):

Amaranth Red Metallic
Luxor Beige Std. Interior
Deviated Carpet (Black)
PDK
Power Steering Plus
Sport Exhaust System
20” SportTechno Wheel
Mahogany Multi-function Steering Wheel
ParkAssist (Rear)
Bose Audio Package
Premium Package Plus
Power Sport Seats
Sunroof in Glass
Electric Folding Mirrors
Smoking Package
Model Designation “911”

Feel free to offer comments/suggestions, as I might have missed something that I should have considered. I did consider Sport Chrono, and decided not on "just" a base C2.

I’m pretty excited, and I suppose it’s going to be a looong four months.
Old 04-11-2013 | 01:41 AM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Congrats! That's a nicely specc'ed car indeed. If it was mine - ordering new the only thing extra I would add is PASM and drop the Power Steering Plus.
Old 04-11-2013 | 09:05 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vegasguy
As I posted earlier, a month ago I bought a CPO’d 2012 Carrera from the local dealer.., I “pre-traded” and ordered a 2014 Carrera.
Trading P cars after a short ownership period is an expensive way to go but here's to a long run in your 2014
Old 04-11-2013 | 11:13 AM
Vegasguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dasams
Trading P cars after a short ownership period is an expensive way to go but here's to a long run in your 2014
You're certainly right on that. I actually (and mistakenly) thought that since the original owner had taken the "new car hit" on the '12, I wouldn't have to since I bought it used. I expected a small depreciation, but my gracious!!! I learned the hard way. But, on the other hand, I really, really wanted the new 2014 after I visualized it in Amaranth Red Metallic. As has been pointed out so many times by forum members, life is short and certainly unpredictable, and I decide to go for it. And as you pointed out, hopefully, since I'm trying to order it "just right," I'll be keeping the 2014 for a long, long time.

Appreciate the input.
Old 04-11-2013 | 11:55 AM
Vegasguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gripster
Congrats! That's a nicely specc'ed car indeed. If it was mine - ordering new the only thing extra I would add is PASM and drop the Power Steering Plus.
I had briefly considered PASM. I'll look at it again, and make sure I really understand exactly what it does.

Appreciate the input.
Old 04-11-2013 | 12:09 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Nice config...although i wouldn't put any wood in the interior.
Old 04-11-2013 | 03:12 PM
Vegasguy
Intermediate

Thanks for the comments/suggestions. I took the advice and ordered PASM. I dropped the Mahogany Steering Wheel and went with the Multi-function Steering Wheel (which helps pay for the PASM)

Thanks again for all of the input.
Old 04-11-2013 | 05:07 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Cheaper to do the swap with the car than the wife IMO.
Old 04-11-2013 | 05:22 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

who has a pic of that color???
Old 04-11-2013 | 07:58 PM
Iceter
Drifting

I love the Sports Chrono in my '09. The sport mode alone makes it worth it. The wart and the SC screens on the PCM are worthless, IMO, as I never track the car.

Personally, I love a woodgrain wheel, even without any other wood in the cabin. My car is Meteor Gray with gray interior, which would normally be a pretty bland combination. The PO of my ride graciously paid for the Makassar multi-function wheel and it really looks great in there.

My wife's '11 E550 Cabriolet has a gray interior and her wheel is leather. She's complained about how plain her interior looks and I've thought about surprising her with a woodgrain wheel for her birthday.

It's not a very Porsche-like to have a wood wheel but it's very common on old sports cars to have one. That's how I justify that one old-school thing in the cabin.
Old 04-12-2013 | 01:55 AM
krysFly
Instructor

nice
Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2013 | 02:09 AM
powderzone
Instructor

Nice colour. I second dropping the Power Steering Plus option.
Old 04-12-2013 | 09:19 AM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

I can't speak for a wood steering wheel, but I have the Macassar wood on the gear shift **** and hand brake of my 2011 with black full leather and it is a very nice option.
Old 04-12-2013 | 09:22 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vegasguy
I expected a small depreciation, but my gracious!!! I learned the hard way.
I think a large part of the hit that you took was going from retail (when you bought it) to wholesale (when you traded it). But hey, it's only money, and now you'll get what you really want, color-wise.

I applaud your decision to get the PASM. I would also suggest losing the power steering thingie unless you've actually test driven cars with and without it and you just have to have it. Then again, I've never driven a car with it, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing?

Are heated seats standard now in the 991? If not, I'd suggest that as well.

I have the rare rear window wiper on my car, which is nice. But then I'm the rare 911 driver who does occasionally drive in the rain. I understand it's more helpful up North where it snows. Not that any of us would drive our precious little sports car in the snow.

I have sport chrono on my otherwise base C2, and it's just silly. Good choice to save your money.
Old 04-12-2013 | 11:14 AM
Vegasguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I think a large part of the hit that you took was going from retail (when you bought it) to wholesale (when you traded it). But hey, it's only money, and now you'll get what you really want, color-wise.

I applaud your decision to get the PASM. I would also suggest losing the power steering thingie unless you've actually test driven cars with and without it and you just have to have it. Then again, I've never driven a car with it, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing?

Are heated seats standard now in the 991? If not, I'd suggest that as well.

I have the rare rear window wiper on my car, which is nice. But then I'm the rare 911 driver who does occasionally drive in the rain. I understand it's more helpful up North where it snows. Not that any of us would drive our precious little sports car in the snow.

I have sport chrono on my otherwise base C2, and it's just silly. Good choice to save your money.
I had Sports Chrono on a '08 C2S and '10 C2S, and never used it. I suppose if I were ordering a C2S, I'd get it (resale ??), but I saw no need for it on the base Carrera. The C2 has a Sport mode that will turn on the PASM and PSE. As I understand it, SC also gives you Sport Plus and Launch Control, which I have no interest in.
The Power Steering Plus was on the '12 C2 that I traded in. I don't remember the steering on my previous Pcars so I can't compare it, but decided to put it on the new '14 for the $270.
Heated/ventilated seats come with the Premium Package Plus.

Thanks again for all of the comments/suggestions.

Quick Reply: And now ... the Rest of the Story!