Sponsored by:

SRP Pedals installed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:35 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts
Default SRP Pedals installed.

A week or so ago I ordered a full pedal set from SRP Racing. Brian was ultra helpful via email regarding which pedals/options to order. I primarily wanted a gas pedal that would make it easier to heel/toe. I opted for only the top extension although they do make a top and bottom one if you legitimately use your heel. I also spec'd the 'grid' style with a satin finish. I thought the price of the pedals were very reasonable, especially with the 20% off Rennlist discount SRP offers.

Here's some tips on installation and photos if anyone is interested.

The pedals arrived with instructions and a bag of hardware to install.

Remove the clutch/brake pedal covers and apply tape over the pedals. Position the new pedals over top and mark with a pen where you want to drill. (allow yourself enough space to the sides and also behind so the nuts have sufficient room to grab)

If you don't have Cobalt (or harder!) drill bits, just go buy them now. You WILL break bits. I started out with my standard cheapy bits and made almost no progress. I even broke one of the brand new Cobalt bits. The pedals are fairly hard metal and a perfect drilling angle is tough to come by.

Oddly enough I found that the broken bits actually worked every bit as well as the fresh ones!

Once all the holes are drilled to sufficient size, simply fasten the hardware and admire your handy work. The gas pedal easily attaches with small pilot holes and self tapping screws. The brake/clutch each have bolts and nylon lock nuts. Admittedly two bolts would be enough to hold either the gas or brake as they fasten very securely. I botched one of the brake pedal holes and was only able to attach two.

All the pedals feel solid as a rock with more grip than the stock units. The gas pedal is now in an absolutely ideal relation (for me) to the brake for easy blips. I couldn't be happier with the setup.

On an unrelated note, I took some time this weekend to install the third radiator and FVD black mesh grill screens.
Attached Images        
Old 04-03-2013, 09:47 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How extensive was the black mesh grille installation?
Old 04-04-2013, 01:27 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
How extensive was the black mesh grille installation?
You have to take out the front bumper and glue the mesh grill to the bumper. So it takes some work. I have the same FVD front grill.

OP: Nice mods, the petals looks nice.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:53 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Re FVD grills: Yes, the front bumper needs to come off. I knew I would have it off anyway for the third radiator so it was a perfect time to install. I used small pilot holes (out of sight) and mini zip tipes to secure the grills as I didn't like the idea of messy glue everywhere.

The pedals feel really good.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:44 AM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks Great, I was thinking about the Black SRP Pedals with the Red Stripes.

Still on the fence
Old 06-06-2013, 03:56 AM
sulu911
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the great install tips. It's funny much I didn't know about drill bis, si I went your suggestion and got cobalt. My clutch and brake pedal seems as if there is not enough curvature. There is too much play. How did you overcome this issue?.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:19 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

The pedals look great. Just curious, why didn't you get the matching dead pedal?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:40 AM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

For anyone doing a search it is critical you use Metal drill bits, also you can use a small peice of 1x pine of wood as a guide, drill a hole in the board, line it up over the hole and drill. This will stop the bit from walking. In metal you want the drill on High speed, let the bit do the work. You will get shreds of metal all over your floor mat, I highly recommend putting a towel down and then when your complete wrap the towel up and shake it out in a garbage can. The last thing I recommend is you can control the depth of your bit by wrapping it with tape, this will stop it from going all the way down to your carpet. I personally do not recommend using a broken drill bit, it may have worked here, but I would never do it.

Last edited by MessyMarvin; 06-06-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:08 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sulu911
My clutch and brake pedal seems as if there is not enough curvature. There is too much play. How did you overcome this issue?.
I played with the mounting location a little until I found the area where it best matched the curvature of the pedal. I put it against the corner of my work bench and pressed with a gloved hand trying to ever so slightly bend it. I don't know if it's helped or not but between those two things the pedals mounted great. The hardware really holds them in place anyway so get it as close and possible and then screw them down tight.

gota911: I'm trying to stay as OEM as possible and the dead pedal too me personally didn't fit that theme. These pedals are subtle but highly functional.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:56 AM
kevinrubin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just installed similar pedals myself...Looks great! Nice!

Quick Reply: SRP Pedals installed.