Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Selling, Tires & Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013 | 02:28 PM
ttiptonky
Track Day

Default Considering Selling, Tires & Installation

I have a silver 2007 Carrera S with 32K miles that I am considering selling in the next month or two. I'm not driving it enough and my office is moving 3 miles from my house on a road where 35 is the limit - just can't justify it going forward although very glad I've owned it. Thus, a 2-part question:

1) If you were in the market for a vehicle like this (CPO runs out in November), would you prefer it to have new tires on it or would you prefer to buy it and put the tires of your choice on it? My assumption is that the average buyer would see tires that need replacing and make negative assumptions on the rest of the car's upkeep (whereas a RL/informed buyer would likely prefer the tires of their choice and would use a PPI to assess condition irrespective of appearance).

2) If I put new tires on before I sell, it seems the preferred way to go from reading on rennlist is Michelin Super Sports. As these are not carried by my local dealership, is it bad form to order these and have the dealer install/balance?

Thanks so much for your guidance/opinions.
Old 04-02-2013 | 02:31 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Super Sports are not technically N-rated. You're better off putting an N-rated tire on if you want to sell it. Even though the MPSSs have so far proven themselves to be excellent, you should probably stick to Porsche-recommended.
Old 04-02-2013 | 02:33 PM
mander
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ttiptonky
I have a silver 2007 Carrera S with 32K miles that I am considering selling in the next month or two. I'm not driving it enough and my office is moving 3 miles from my house on a road where 35 is the limit - just can't justify it going forward although very glad I've owned it.
I live 3 miles from my office with a 35 limit and still drive the 09C4S. To quote my wife when friends ask "he gets it up to 35 really fast."
Old 04-02-2013 | 03:48 PM
eddy915
Instructor

I drive less than 1 mile to the transit station which I take to work 70% of the time. But I have 4 cars (although 1 is the wifes). I always figured that if I sell my fun cars I would regret it. Good luck with sale if you still are going to do so. I would probably change the tires before selling.
Old 04-02-2013 | 04:07 PM
pnwc4s
Rennlist Member

I don't think there's any way you'd make back the cost of the tires in the sale price. Now if selling quickly is a big deal to you, it might make the sale go through faster for a picky buyer. I think the standard car selling advice of "detail it but don't do anything else" is pretty solid.

GLWS! I'm in the same position as you, I just don't drive the 997 very much any more, and usually take the train to work, so I'm starting to feel like I should sell it. Seems silly to hold it and not drive it, but I can't quite bring myself to part iwth it yet!
Old 04-02-2013 | 04:58 PM
socalgt3
Instructor

How much tread is left on the tires? If there is enough for a few thousand miles, I would just try to sell the car at a lower price. I agree that you will not make the money you spent on the tires.
Old 04-02-2013 | 05:38 PM
ttiptonky
Track Day

The tires are at the wear bars. . . it is time either for me or the new owner. I need to take it to the local delaership anyway as they have to replace the PCM under CPO as the CD player isn't working. Thought I'd get tires at the same time but I may put it on the market and see as I don't expect to recoup an investment in tires.
Old 04-02-2013 | 05:48 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

If the price of a set of tires ($1,400) is factored into the cost of the car, then I would have no problem purchasing it knowing it needed them. It would give me the chance to install my preference of tires (happens to be MPSS) and have a fresh start.

That said, knowing a used car had a brand new set of MPSS on it would make a nice selling point to me. Most used buyers seem to focus on price though and would rather get a 'deal' on a cheaper car than pay up front for one that's turn key. So perhaps drawing them in with a lower selling price might work better for you.
Old 04-02-2013 | 05:51 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Maybe list it on RL 1st with old tires... if it does not move then get new tires to sell it on the open market.
Old 04-02-2013 | 06:16 PM
iammulva
Racer

Try to sell it with the tires as-is. You may benefit either by:
1. Finding a buyer who doesn't know the true cost of the tires (caveat emptor)
2. Finding a buyer with a strong preference for a specific tire (in which case there will be a 100% chance his/her preference is not the tire you bought).
3. Negotiating point on the price of the car which otherwise would be missing (i.e. give the buyer something to "fight" over). You, of course, will price it with full tire cost included.
4. If it becomes a sticking point, offer to replace the tires. In any case, you won't be doing more work and you might get by with less and get a few extra bucks in the process. Of course, if you list it on this forum I doubt you'll get the uninformed buyer that my theory sort of relies on.

GLWS
Old 04-02-2013 | 07:52 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

You need 4/32" tread left on tires. I agree with comments above, sell it as is since the new owner might want a particular brand, etc.

The only issue is that during a test drive, the car will feel much better with new tires than old worn out tires.
Old 04-02-2013 | 07:55 PM
ttiptonky
Track Day

All, thanks for the advice. I think I'll do a drive to the new office and make sure I am not doing something dumb. Then get to work on the detailing. It is surprising how prices seem to be holding on these cars - at least in Denver. Of course, that is based on the 'ask' - not real transactions.
Old 04-02-2013 | 08:10 PM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

If I were looking to buy I would rather buy it as is. No detail, no nothing. The price should reflect that of course. To me it gives a better picture of the car and how it was driven.
Old 04-02-2013 | 09:00 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Originally Posted by ttiptonky
All, thanks for the advice. I think I'll do a drive to the new office and make sure I am not doing something dumb. Then get to work on the detailing. It is surprising how prices seem to be holding on these cars - at least in Denver. Of course, that is based on the 'ask' - not real transactions.
You can always take the longer way home if you enjoy driving your 911. I think you are on the right track, try it for a couple of weeks and see how it works out with the shorter commute.
Old 04-03-2013 | 01:04 AM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

"You only get one chance to make a first impression". You want to give potential buyers positive reasons to buy your car, other than price. Brand new tires give buyers another reason to buy your car vs one with worn tires. Plus, most people who are going to pay 50k plus for a car are going to expect that it has proper tires.

Quick Reply: Considering Selling, Tires & Installation