Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

highest mileage IMS failure... anyone tracking all failures?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:52 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 980 Likes on 640 Posts
Default highest mileage IMS failure... anyone tracking all failures?

i know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam (i've read most/all the threads), but i'm curious if anyone is cataloging the failures and what, to this point, has been the highest mileage failure. i'm currently just over 67k miles on a C2S with a 1/05 production date (indicating, to the best of everyone's knowledge, a single row bearing in an M97). initially, figures of <1% were thrown around for the failures of single row bearings, but that's when the average mileage was lower and i'm now curious if we're seeing a rise in failure rate as the mileages increase. i have this nagging feeling that i'm on borrowed time and need to do the upgrade just so that i can feel good about the car again. since the sealed bearing was failing at low mileage, it makes [some] sense to me that that could happen at any time, on any car. driving the car regularly and performing proper oil changes seem to help, but there are no certainties here. just curious if anyone is keeping records and whether we are now seeing failures in cars that have 'daily driver' type miles.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:07 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 235 Posts

Check the poll at the top of the 997 section.

Within people who are having failures could be noting how many miles...
Old 04-01-2013, 04:59 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

some are noting mileage, some aren't. i just thought someone might be tracking it as the mileages of our cars grow. i can gather a list and then ask the individuals who had a failure to comment on mileage, if they didn't in the thread. i just think it should be something that '05 M96/M97 owners are tracking. curious also how many think it won't affect them and they're betting against it. it's not a bet that is in our favor, should we lose.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:57 AM
kdieter
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is yours a manual? If so then at 67K if it hasn't had a clutch, you will be very happily surprised by how much lighter the pedal will feel with a new clutch. Get the LN retrofit bearing at the same time as the major labor is the same as for a clutch. Then drive with peace of mind for another 67K. Or just forget it and keep driving as is, because you can't infer any accurate statistics from the little unsubstantiated data on forums.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:18 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Yes, manual. Current plan right now, even though I'm not desperate for a new clutch, is to replace the clutch and do the LN bearing at the same time. Chances are likely slim of a failure, but I guess I just hate the idea of a $20k repair hanging over my head. I've already replaced a $19k Audi S4 4.2 engine in the past - luckily under an extended warranty.

I have already spoken with RAC here in Dallas and they have done several IMS repairs already. Planning on stopping by this week and discussing everything in person. Luckily, they're literally about 2 miles from my office.

Quick Reply: highest mileage IMS failure... anyone tracking all failures?