Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the 997.2 have fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 01:55 AM
daberlin
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 12 Posts

I have NEVER seen twin rear fogs in the UK like that. That dual rear fog looks amazingly dangerous. Cars including my American spec VW had a single driver side rear fog. Lived in Winchester, Hants from 97-01. Got my *** chewed out by the cops once for accidentally leaving front fogs on. Wish rear fog light dicipline was as good here in SoCal as in Europe. Undertaking, etc. Our driving laws suck.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:40 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

The twin rear fogs seem like a bad idea. I thought the point of the single light was so that another driver can distinguish them more easily from brake lights. I wonder if that pic is an example of someone's one-off......
Old 04-06-2013, 11:32 AM
daberlin
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The twin rear fogs seem like a bad idea. I thought the point of the single light was so that another driver can distinguish them more easily from brake lights. I wonder if that pic is an example of someone's one-off......
Exactly. And though I've never lived Stateside in a bad fog area, a rear fog light works amazingly well on A and B roads in England. Implementation of the single rear fog on the Continent is no different than the UK. I think someone in the P Car performed their own modification. A crazy one at that.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Precisely why its only on the drivers-side of the car (I'm assuming here that in the UK the single rear fog is on the right side when looking at the car from the back end?).

You need to know when brakes are coming on... remember pre late 1980's there was no center brake light on the back end of cars.

Having dual rear fogs is a hugely stupid idea in my mind.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:49 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Twin rear fogs is code in the UK. Single everywhere else. How they are placed upon the car is the only way to truly differentiate them from brake lights--other than the fact that they are on all the time in the fog.

I'm a big advocate of rear fogs. In certain countries due to their climate, the rear fog lights are true life savers.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Twin rear fogs is code in the UK.
Really. And the Brits seem so damn sensible otherwise....
Old 04-08-2013, 05:43 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

quote"I'll chime in because I was corrected on a previous thread, which caused me to RTFM. The DRLs are in fact not always on, but are off when the headlights are on, thus they are decidedly not designed to have a dual function as fogs.
Also, and this is a pet peeve of mine, please only use the rear fogs when it's pretty thick. They are very bright (brake light level) and are hugely annoying where there's no fog out. Audi drivers seem to be the most prevalent violators. Not sure what their switch arrangement is." quote

Well, I'm one of those who uses the rear fog light when there is no fog, and its for the exact reason you are annoyed by it: it got your attention. but I only use it in stop and go traffic or when someone is tailgating. In stop and go traffic, its a way to get the person's attention, too many people in cell phones, or distracted; it can certainly avoid an accident. You may be annoyed by it, but you would be more annoyed if you rear-end my car, we both lose. Tailgaiters, well, at least you are giving a warning before you have a chance to move out of the way, which I usually do. If they are too close behind, they are being way too aggressive and you don't know what their intentions are: are they gonna pass on your right in a split second or wait till you get out of their way. Either way, turning the rear fog light on, makes them back up a little because they think you are hitting the brakes, and it gives you a little time to see what kind of reaction they are going to do. So, its not always black or white if it can avoid an accident.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:18 PM
PCC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
The theory being with them off its harder for the police to aim the LIDAR at your lights? (RADAR will work just fine regardless as it isn't necessary to aim it precisely)
NO .. but if you don't ride in the passing lane and you have a black car you arent always the first target.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:07 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You really think someone busy reading his email will notice your foglight? Not buying it. It's not getting my attention, you already have it, which is why it annoys me. If you're in stop and go why aren't you just touching your brakes it you want to warn someone approaching too fast?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:42 AM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by chago996
Well, I'm one of those who uses the rear fog light when there is no fog, and its for the exact reason you are annoyed by it: it got your attention. but I only use it in stop and go traffic or when someone is tailgating. In stop and go traffic, its a way to get the person's attention, too many people in cell phones, or distracted; it can certainly avoid an accident. You may be annoyed by it, but you would be more annoyed if you rear-end my car, we both lose.
So here is why it likely increases your chance of being rear-ended.
If I'm behind you and you are driving with rear fogs on with no weather reason, that light is bright and looks like a break light. After a short time, I'll be blocking out and not reacting to bright tail lights on your car, and when you DO actually step on the brakes, I'm not going to notice it and in all likelihood will rear-end you when you do need to stop.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:55 PM
chago996
Racer

I doubt it. The brake lights would come on, that's 3 more lights coming on. If that doesn't grab your attention again, then you are too distracted and not keeping a safe distance. Hit someone from the back, everyone loses, but you have to pay for it. Lots of Audis where I live, and I've never seen these rear fog lights on
Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 PM
daberlin
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Twin rear fogs is code in the UK. Single everywhere else.
The requirement is exactly the same as on the continent. Twin rears is not code in Blighty. The Brits can be kinda wacky when it comes to following EU rules, but that is not one of them.

From the MOT Book - "The inspection of rear fog lamps is confined to the one rear fog lamp which is required to be fitted to the centre or offside of vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980'.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by daberlin
The requirement is exactly the same as on the continent. Twin rears is not code in Blighty. The Brits can be kinda wacky when it comes to following EU rules, but that is not one of them.

From the MOT Book - "The inspection of rear fog lamps is confined to the one rear fog lamp which is required to be fitted to the centre or offside of vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980'.
My faith in British sensibility is restored!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:13 AM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by chago996
I doubt it. The brake lights would come on, that's 3 more lights coming on. If that doesn't grab your attention again, then you are too distracted and not keeping a safe distance. Hit someone from the back, everyone loses, but you have to pay for it. Lots of Audis where I live, and I've never seen these rear fog lights on
Everyone may well loose, but I'll be telling the officer your rear fog was on so I never noticed the brake lights and see what happens.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:28 PM
chago996
Racer

Don't forget to tell the judge too, and see what happens. If the person is on the phone texting or dialing, there is little chance that brake lights or fog lights will help prevent someone from seeing you while stopped, in stop and go traffic. But most accidents are of the distracted, "daydreaming" kind.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...014558551.html

Getting their attention may work. But it's not absolute. Why do you think there is only one rear fog light instead of two? Wouldn't two rear fog lights double the chances someone may see you in the fog? Yet only one is specified by car manufacturers in different countries. Having only one is an odd look that attracts attention, most likely. Plus, the onset of the brake lights plus 3rd light is not diminished with only one rear fog light on. I like these odds better.

Quick Reply: Does the 997.2 have fog lights?