Sponsored by:

Wheel painting advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 11:17 AM
911SSSS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel painting advice

Going to have my wheels painted black and would like to hear about your experiences.
Does anyone have experience with RimGuard?
www.rimguardxtreme.com
They offer painting, powder coating, and something called black chrome.
Any experiences with any of the options would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:54 AM
gvcap10
Racer

I've had wheels painted once. The paint is very delicate! After that experience, I've since powder coated every set that has needed refreshing. Black chrome is pretty kick *** too, but I don't know what color you are matching it up with? I'm actually sending out the wheels off of my Gallardo to powder coating next week. I'll be more than happy to take before and after pics for you?

Best of luck..
Old 03-24-2013, 01:08 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

Here is my recent experience .....I bought an 08 c2s last December. Within 2 weeks of purchasing I was backing into a parking spot and scratched my right rear wheel (man these cars are wide). I was waiting till it was time to put on my summer tires to get the wheel repaired. Last Sunday it was 70 degrees here in Columbus Ohio so after a drive I removed the wheel and took it to the local wheel repair place. Their process is roughly as follows...media blast, primer (which I think was a powder coating), paint (which allows them a better chance of color match than a powder coat) and then a powder coat of clear. The wheel looks absolutely perfect except that the color is a touch off (I mean very slight). If I had it to do again (which I probably will get it re-finished to hone in the color) I would take a second wheel for them to use match the color. For $130 per wheel it is an excellent way to change the color or freshen up your existing wheels.

BTW, 70 degrees last Sunday, suppose to get 3"-6" snow today, go figure!!
Old 03-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 200 Posts

You need to be careful. Powder coating and Chroming can change the structural integrity of the wheel. Maybe not a huge deal depending on usage but if you go on the track with wheels that have been re-baked it can be dangerous.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:52 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

check with hendricks parts or service dept. Im sure they have some shop locally that does that. Youre alot better off to have it done locally
Old 03-24-2013, 06:14 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Have you consider a temporary coating... JIC you change your mind later to go back. http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...=997S_wheelacc I'm pretty sure this is just plasti-dip. http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip My son plasti-dipped his Tacoma wheels then went back to the original silver look 9 months later. He decided that he likely the original factory wheel color better after all.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:11 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by my first 911
Here is my recent experience .....I bought an 08 c2s last December. Within 2 weeks of purchasing I was backing into a parking spot and scratched my right rear wheel (man these cars are wide). I was waiting till it was time to put on my summer tires to get the wheel repaired. Last Sunday it was 70 degrees here in Columbus Ohio so after a drive I removed the wheel and took it to the local wheel repair place. Their process is roughly as follows...media blast, primer (which I think was a powder coating), paint (which allows them a better chance of color match than a powder coat) and then a powder coat of clear. The wheel looks absolutely perfect except that the color is a touch off (I mean very slight). If I had it to do again (which I probably will get it re-finished to hone in the color) I would take a second wheel for them to use match the color. For $130 per wheel it is an excellent way to change the color or freshen up your existing wheels.

BTW, 70 degrees last Sunday, suppose to get 3"-6" snow today, go figure!!
That sounds like more a liquid paint process than powder. Ironically I just had my super sports taken off today and wheels are going in for a fresh powder coat. BTW.....5"-9" here in Indy and it is snowing like a banshee.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:26 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
You need to be careful. Powder coating and Chroming can change the structural integrity of the wheel. Maybe not a huge deal depending on usage but if you go on the track with wheels that have been re-baked it can be dangerous.
Food for thought: I bought a set of forged GMG wheels used. The prev owner had them recoated(not sure if painted or powder coat). One of them broke after about 7 or 8 trackdays. Warranty was denied due to the fact they had been recoated.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:27 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm not sure what "liquid paint" process is but I did see the oven where they bake on the "powder coat". In the end it looked like a factory finish except for the slight difference in the color.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:40 PM
raydar4130
AutoX

Just got mine back today. Matte finish with matte clear coat. Did the same with my other car and its held up great. You'll love black.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:52 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had some stockers powder coated for my e550 last year...........very durable! not even a chip yet......but I'm careful.......they are a satin finish which is nice because they stay nice and black and have no shine.....

PC'ing is the wy to go

Old 03-25-2013, 05:25 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recently powder coated my lobster forks black. Too soon to give any longevity/durability status, but they look great (to me anyway).

Had not heard about any potential structural problems as mentioned above. I don't track the car and likely won't, but at least it gives me something to worry about.
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2013, 07:14 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by iammulva
Recently powder coated my lobster forks black. Too soon to give any longevity/durability status, but they look great (to me anyway).

Had not heard about any potential structural problems as mentioned above. I don't track the car and likely won't, but at least it gives me something to worry about.
Looks good!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:00 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

paints cheaper and easier. But powder coat holds up better, wont scrape off on the tire machine, resists stain better. Factory wheel paint is baked so its stands up better, than body shop paint
Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 PM
iammulva
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks SToronto!

Quick Reply: Wheel painting advice