Sponsored by:

Advice needed for MAF cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:49 PM
DGrayling
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice needed for MAF cleaning

Can anyone give me any tips on cleaning a 997.2 mass airflow sensor using CRC MAF cleaner or similar product? I am not really sure if this step is a standard maintenance item for our cars. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

Name:  DSC_0162Renn800_zps592def1c.jpg
Views: 2626
Size:  99.3 KB

Last edited by DGrayling; 06-25-2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: .
Old 03-13-2013, 04:36 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you just spray it generously with the cleaner, it dries out almost instantaneously. Make sure you spray it all over the MAF and not miss any spots.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

yep, i just sprayed mine with CRC MAF cleaner. seemed to work just fine.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:10 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Also clean the MAF gold connector contacts and it's associated MAF connector wire. And make sure that you install the MAF back in the correct/prior orientation and not upside down. I don't recall if it's keyed as it's been 6 months since I cleaned/serviced my MAF but upside an down MAF presented rough idle issues on my prior M3 so now I always note the orientation of the MAF before removing it. GL.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 PM
997driver
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just attached the red attachment to the can and sprayed every visible surface of the MAF including the hot plate, wire etc etc and soaked it. Let it air dry and re-installed it.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:07 AM
zer026T
Pro

Just performed this on my non-Pcar.. Found a good reference video, not for Porsche but it's pretty generic. Guy's a little nutty but whatever

Old 03-14-2013, 08:59 AM
DGrayling
Instructor

Thanks for the tips everyone! I was concerned that there might be some areas to avoid on the MAF sensor . . . but it looks like the entire unit can be sprayed with CRC MAF cleaner. This is an easy job that we all can do.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:40 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Does it really get dirty? How many miles
Old 03-14-2013, 11:00 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Why are you cleaning it? Did you have driveability issues? I don't think this is a normal maintenance function performed in routine services, unless you possibly have one of those nasty oiled air filters..

Last edited by GSIRM3; 03-14-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:19 PM
DGrayling
Instructor

This procedure was probably not necessary on my car, but since I was in there changing the air filters ( 4 year/40K Service) I thought I would clean the MAF as preventative maintenance. I was not experiencing any drivability issues. Since I was seeing other Rennlist DIYers mentioning that they did this on their cars I figured I would do the same.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:13 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DGrayling
This procedure was probably not necessary on my car, but since I was in there changing the air filters ( 4 year/40K Service) I thought I would clean the MAF as preventative maintenance. I was not experiencing any drivability issues. Since I was seeing other Rennlist DIYers mentioning that they did this on their cars I figured I would do the same.
I don't think it harms anything and is more likely to help as a preventative maintenance item. I like to use a can of MAF cleaner ever year to insure that the car is performing at it's optimal level. A fairly easy procedure if you're already servicing the air filter. It's also a good maintenance procedure if you're using an oiled air filter... BTW, if you're utilizing an oiled filter element make sure to lightly oil it. I prefer to leave my filters out overnight to permeate the oil evenly into the filter medium. You don't want any of the sticky oils to get on those MAF wires and start to pick up airborne particles. Good job on the MAF service and keep us posted if you notice any difference in responsiveness or smoothness during idle...
Old 03-14-2013, 04:52 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

All the MAF sensors I have seen look very clean, it is the tiny particles that block the sensor not visible to the eye. So a good cleaning is a good idea.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by DGrayling
Can anyone give me any tips on cleaning a 997.2 mass airflow sensor using CRC MAF cleaner or similar product? I am not really sure if this step is a standard maintenance item for our cars. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

Yeah. Don't.

They do not get dirty unless you run an aftermarket oily filter or fail to install the stock filter element correctly. Don't do this either. Not only does the MAF possibly get dirty the engine gets some dust with its air...

Besides there is the risk of damaging the MAF or the DME by static discharge and if you drop the MAF the only thing that needs cleaning is the air from teh foul language you'll use when you price a replacement MAF.

Besides chances are you did not clean the MAF's hot film surface. It is buried in the that "tunnel" in the end of the MAF.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:56 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Yeah. Don't.

They do not get dirty unless you run an aftermarket oily filter or fail to install the stock filter element correctly. Don't do this either. Not only does the MAF possibly get dirty the engine gets some dust with its air...

Besides there is the risk of damaging the MAF or the DME by static discharge and if you drop the MAF the only thing that needs cleaning is the air from teh foul language you'll use when you price a replacement MAF.

Besides chances are you did not clean the MAF's hot film surface. It is buried in the that "tunnel" in the end of the MAF.
+1 I don't know if it is a Porsche thing but I've been warned by a couple of techs not to clean my MAF.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
+1 I don't know if it is a Porsche thing but I've been warned by a couple of techs not to clean my MAF.
It's a MAF thing. With a properly installed stock air filter they do not get dirty. My Turbo has covered 105K miles and its MAF has not been disturbed.

My Boxster has covered over double that number of miles and while I admit early on when trying to diagnosis what was at that time quite inexplicable behavior from what proved to be the 1st of 2 AOS failures I cleaned the MAF -- which BTW was not dirty -- I have not cleaned the MAF in around 180K miles.

I replaced the original one by mistake. Misdiagnosis. Leaking oil filler tub cap was the real culprit.

I left the replacement MAF installed and the original MAF went into the box the replacement MAF came out of and the box went into the trunk of the car.

And then when this MAF died after oh 80K miles I reinstalled the original MAF which is working fine even today.

Clean the windshield. Clean the car. Clean the wheels. Clean the brakes. But leave the MAF alone.

Quick Reply: Advice needed for MAF cleaning