Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Navigation vs Google Navigation on Droid

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The XM Navtraffic overlays on the standard map just fine. You don't need a separate window to see it... there may be a config check box you need to tick to get that to happen, but thats the way I use it in my NAV.

USMC, with the built in nav I can use it and not have to break the law in many places (holding phone while driving)
Old 03-12-2013, 04:18 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
USMC, with the built in nav I can use it and not have to break the law in many places (holding phone while driving)
Minok, I'm curious about this point. I have voice command for cell calls but I also use my phone for GPS. Is it illegal to do so? I've read the laws to imply that you cannot use a cell phone to make calls unless it's via voice command but I have not seen any mention of it being illegal to use it as a GPS device like a Garmin. Similar to how it's not illegal "yet" to use a dedicated GPS device. In general, I rarely hold it up while driving and have learned over time to rely mostly on the audio commands to assist with driving directions. Wonder if anyone has had to deal with the legal aspects of using a smartphone as a GPS device... like in California where I frequent on business. BTW, nice write-up re the vehicle blackbox the other day.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:56 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

In Washington state, and I suspect many places, it is illegal to be holding your phone while driving (regardless of what you are doing with it). If its in your hand, its a violation.

If you are staring at it in your passengers seat or in a mount on the dash you are fine.. but holding it while driving is a no-no (at least hear). Its not the use of navigation that's the issue, its the fact that hands are off the wheel and not available for controlling the vehicle combined with the fact that your brain is partly managing your holding and possibly operating that gadget in your hand. Your brain is more distracted by things you have in your hands than things you glance at, I suspect.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:28 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

The wording of that legislation varies considerably from state to state. VA's new proposed law is worded that it's OK to push 1 button (ala voice dial or navigation), but not a series of buttons (text or dialing). There's no federal law, but there is an executive order that applies to all military personnel & civilians on official travel and anyone driving on federal property that is so broad as to ban so much as looking at a GPS.

Quick Reply: 2009 Navigation vs Google Navigation on Droid