Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe-Guard Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013 | 12:25 AM
pv997tt
Rennlist Member

Default Safe-Guard Warranty

I just got my first Porsche - a 2007 997TT with 15K miles. The dealer is offering me a "Platinum" extended warranty from Safe-Guard for $3K. It is a 72mo/45Kmi "exclusion-only" type of warranty.

I can't seem to find much feedback/comments on this company. Anybody have any experience good or bad?
Old 03-07-2013 | 02:05 AM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

They are a large company and sell extended warranty on many things including cars. The key is to fully understand what the policy covers and what is excluded, also the deductible. The price is rather low for a 6 year/30K mile warranty so there might be many exclusions such as electrical items. Lastly, read the fine print, some will replace a main items such as transmission or engine with a rebuilt unit only, not OEM.

It is agreat idea to have extended warranty but make sure it is a good one and you are wasting your money. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2013 | 04:09 AM
reytran
5th Gear

Since this topic talk about warranty. What is the most popular aftermarket in the Porsche community? Thanks,
Old 03-07-2013 | 05:40 AM
pv997tt
Rennlist Member

This warranty is an 'additional' 6 years and/or 45K miles with a $100 deductible. The dealer said they would take $1K off the price ($4K-$1k = $3K) if I was a AAA member. So, it sounds like it is a good price for a Platinum warranty.

This is from the "Exclusion" section of the contract:
A) The maintenance services and parts described under maintenance requirements as shown in the this service contract or in the manufacturer's maintenance schedule for your vehicle.
B) Other normal maintenance services and parts including engine tune-up, (includes spark plugs, glow plugs, ignition wires, distributor cap and rotor), carburetor, all batteries, vehicle charging station, charging cables, filters, lubricants or fluids, air conditioning refrigerant, engine coolant, all hoses and belts (not specifically listed), wiper blades, brake pads and shoes, brake rotors and drums, suspension alignment, constant velocity boots, tires, wheel covers, wheel rims, wheels, wheel balancing, shock absorbers, suspension air bags, exhaust system, catalytic converter, friction clutch disc and pressure plate and clutch release bearing.
C) Glass, glass framework and fastening adhesives, sealed beam head lamps, light bulbs, lenses, trim, moldings, bright metal, upholstery, vinyl and convertible tops, paint, sheet metal, bumpers, alignment of body parts, flexible body parts, door panels, body panels, structural framework, convertible top framework, structural welds, hines, door handles and removable hardtop assemblies.
D) Aftermarket accessories or equipment, components and systems not installed by the manufacturer, including but not limited to: anti-theft systems, radar detectors, CB radios, radio/speaker equipment, cruise control, sunroof, solar powered devices, telephones, TV/VCR/DVD and related components and appliances.

Anything stick out to be concerned about?
Old 03-07-2013 | 02:29 PM
reytran
5th Gear

That's pretty everything a warranty would cover right? The exclusion probably means those aftermarket or area that our Insurance already cover. Thing likes engine hoses and belt are pretty cheap and easy to replace isn't it? Batteries, there is no warranty cover that I believe.

Thanks for the information. Is this warranty a drop-off type? Or do I have to make anything such as "claim"?
Old 03-07-2013 | 02:56 PM
Jasper1
Advanced

I'd be really concerned about the exclusion of the carburator and the distributor cap!

Quick Reply: Safe-Guard Warranty