Sponsored by:

New clutch help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013 | 12:07 PM
whayes
Instructor

Default New clutch help

Hi folks -

I had some issues with my clutch pedal sticking at the track last weekend. This hasn't happened during normal driving. Service guy said it was a sign the clutch was getting too hot and would soon need to be replaced. I have a 2006 997.1 S with 48k miles. Car sees 6 weekends a year on track. A stock job was quoted at $2,500 but service advisor said I don't need to replace it yet. What worries me is going to track and having it fail there. So my questions are should I replace it? Should I replace it with stock or should I replace with a more track friendly set up and it so what are people's recommendations? Gt3 clutch?
Thanks
Old 03-06-2013 | 12:19 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Do you know what actually failed? not the clutch pedal-right? just the clutch itself. was the clutch disengaged for a while? was the pedal stuck down or up when the clutch was disengaged?

It sounds like perhaps the spline shaft is dirty/damaged? I may be a function of the component failure or the clutch wearing out and slipping or it may be a function of the user staying half on the pedal while applying too much power- that power then turns into heat. that heat can cause the parts to bind or the fluid to boil/expand. Getting a new clutch plate might not help you that much if that's the root problem, throwout bearing, spline etc. aren't any different with a bigger clutch plate.

How did the service evaluate the clutch to say if it had life left? Boroscope- I don't even know if there's a vent hole? You can't evaluated by pedal travel because the clutch is self advancing depending upon what car you have. Miles aren't good because some people have a driving style that can burn through clutches in 25k or even less.
Old 03-06-2013 | 12:37 PM
whayes
Instructor

Thanks for the insight. I wasn't having any trouble engaging the gears and was pulling the clutch off the floor with my toes. It was essentially popping back to position.

I don't believe they took anything apart to get a close look.

Quick Reply: New clutch help